RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Aircraft Monitoring Forum > Aircraft Data Decoding

Aircraft Data Decoding A forum to discuss decoding the various data transmissions such as ACARS, Mode-S, ADS-B, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 9:13 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Track Flights

Not really into tracking flights but im sure this will help someone who is an Air Buff

Google Earth gets flight tracking in as close to real time as legally possible
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno194 View Post
Not really into tracking flights but im sure this will help someone who is an Air Buff

Google Earth gets flight tracking in as close to real time as legally possible
Thanks for sharing. I sometimes track flights into John Wayne Airport-Orange County on flightaware.com, while simultaneously listening to JWA traffic on LiveATC.net. I find that Flightaware is anywhere from seven to 10 minutes behind LiveATC.net. It sometimes does get frustrating seeing a flight pop up on the screen that you've already heard has landed, but that's the price one pays for security, I guess.

There are several live tracking sites available on the Web, it just depends on which one you feel more comfortable using.

Dave
KA6TJF
Old 09-17-2010, 10:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhcrocker View Post
Thanks for sharing. I sometimes track flights into John Wayne Airport-Orange County on flightaware.com, while simultaneously listening to JWA traffic on LiveATC.net. I find that Flightaware is anywhere from seven to 10 minutes behind LiveATC.net. It sometimes does get frustrating seeing a flight pop up on the screen that you've already heard has landed, but that's the price one pays for security, I guess.

There are several live tracking sites available on the Web, it just depends on which one you feel more comfortable using.

Dave
KA6TJF
By FAA Regs, you must have at least 5 minutes between audio and radar sync. One interesting thing about LIVE* ATC air traffic control audio & radar over the skies of Atlanta and Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is that they have the audio synced with the radar, their fore that does not happen. By the way, I provide the 124.375 for them

Flightwise is my favorite, along with Flightaware. They don't show any of the interesting military or most of the GA flights, so it is kind of pointless to me, but it is very handy when you are at the airport waiting for someone.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebATC View Post
Flightwise is my favorite, along with Flightaware.
Haven't come across Flightwise, so I'll have to check them out. You're correct about the lack of GA flights on Flightaware. Yes, you'll get a GIV if it happens to be part of a regular charter service, like West Coast Charters out here, but the normal Cessna 172 doing pattern work never shows up. Part of the problem is most GA flights work VFR and don't bother filing a flight plan, which would then be tracked.

Despite their limitations, Flightaware and LiveATC.net are still fun to play around with. I'm definitely an aviation buff. Even though I have a triple trunking scanner, I mostly use it to listen to ATC or unicom traffic when I visit local airports.

When you're on Flightaware, go to photos and search this user name: davidhcrocker, and you'll see roughly 1,100 photos that I've taken at various So Cal airports over the past year.

Dave
KA6TJF
Old 09-18-2010, 10:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the info. Have to try it out when i have more time. Not sure about the markers and how accurate they are. Didn't know they moved the whitehouse to a farm field in southern Anne Arundel county.
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2010, 12:52 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Sure wish they would come up with a Military flight tracker.....Add a 24 or 48 hour delay to it and make it over the united states only.
I know i'm just wishing and it will never happen but it would be nice to see the aircraft i am hearing.
Old 09-18-2010, 1:49 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Limited info on Military flights (3 free pages for non members).
http://www.live-mode-s.info/

San Francisco (Live Tracking page) no delays!
Watch aircraft land on the runway at Oakland airport. (FedEx, Jet Blue,etc aircraft.
http://www.radarvirtuel.com/Sanfrancisco.html
Old 09-18-2010, 8:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Military flights do not use ADS-B to transmit their locations, so there are no public sources for location info.

I'm not sure about the so-called legal requirement for a delay, either. If you have PlanePlotter you can see realtime position info for areas where individuals are sharing radar data online. Maybe it only applies if the same server is streaming voice and virtual radar data.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No, the requirement (6 minutes) applies to using the FAA's data. I'm not sure how Google's 15-20 minutes can be "as realtime as it gets"?

And if you are a "real" user (i.e. airport / airline co / etc.) you can get the FAA's data live.
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2010, 2:08 AM
Database Admin

Dave,

I must be seeing things!

For the U.S. Military flights I see E6A Mercury,00-9001 , few others(Gulf5,C37,Boeing757) with ADS-B that is transmitting their locations.
Old 09-19-2010, 7:09 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't know what you are seeing. The military have a whole separate radar system for locating aircraft.

Perhaps you are seeing MLATted aircraft via PlanePlotter?
Old 09-19-2010, 7:40 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdale View Post
No, the requirement (6 minutes) applies to using the FAA's data. I'm not sure how Google's 15-20 minutes can be "as realtime as it gets"?

And if you are a "real" user (i.e. airport / airline co / etc.) you can get the FAA's data live.
Ok, my mistake. I thought it was 5 minutes.

I know when I was flying one time, I had to go in the FBO to grab somethin to eat, and I saw a website they were on. It had VFR, and IFR, I guess it was linked to the airports radar some how.

For Dave, I believe (don't hold me to it) that some of the AMC aircraft do use ADS-B, along with some of the other aircraft the US Air Force has. I have yet to see a Navy, Marines, or Army aircraft. But, I haven't really looked at much of the mode-s logs.
Old 09-19-2010, 7:18 PM

I am using a friend of mine who works out of a FBO Flight Explorer Professional edition.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
I don't know what you are seeing. The military have a whole separate radar system for locating aircraft.
Perhaps you are seeing MLATted aircraft via PlanePlotter?
It's been talked before on this topic about E-6 with ADS-B in January,2010.
http://forums.radioreference.com/air...ml#post1228345

Military can use whatever radar system they want! I will use my own radar
Since it shows the info on the E-6 aircraft with full ADS-B in my database logs!
Using a unit like Kinetic Avionics SBS-1 to pick up the E-6 ADS-B flights!
http://www.kinetic-avionics.com/sbs-1.php

Since MLATing only works with SBS1 & PlaneGadget V2 Radar.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I owe you folks an apology. I have seen the E6B flights on my own radar box. I forgot all about the GOTO FMS identifier discussion. [red face icon goes here]

ADS-B is relatively rare for military flights, but there are a few.
Sponsored links