Introduction and request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I'm John from the UK and new to the forum

I have background interests in aerospace , space imaging and am also part of the PlanePlotter [PP ] support team , helping to develop and maintain the PP network.

I'm joining the group to expand my knowledge of the US aviation scene and also to explain a little more about PP and what it can do for you.

I notice that FR24 and Planefinder already have sections within the group and know that many PP users also share to these two networks.In fact its a symbiotic relationship.
What many US aviation enthusiasts may not realise is that PP can offer much more than the basic web based trackers or even your own Mode S system. So in addition to using the web trackers PlanePlotter can provide such additional and unique facilities as Multilateration , Location by Share Circles , Location by BeamFinder , Beamfinder Plus S and Beamfinder Plus [ the latter using Mode A sqwk codes to locate traffic]

These are all facilities which you won't find anywhere else and have been developed over the last few years to take aviation as a hobby , to new levels providing location and tracking of Biz Jets , military a/c ,in fact just about anything from a microlight to U2.

These facilities are now well established across the UK with hundreds of sharers enjoying the benefits.
They are also being rolled out across the USA with a number of regions already seeing the results.
However , the bottom line is that we need more US sharers in order to expand multilateration [Mlat ] coverage.

You can see Mlat at work here ......

http://satcomuk.yolasite.com/animations.php

http://satcomuk.yolasite.com/blank.php

We have also developed a system called Sector Master User [SMUs] , whereby one sharer will look after specific regions , generating Mlat fixes every 60 seconds.
Our SMUs recently generated over 100,000 mlat fixes in a 24 hour period.....these are all fixes you will not find anywhere else.

Most of these facilities , including Mlat are open to both enthusiasts with their own Mode S receivers...and those without.

On a personal note I'm hoping to learn a little more about the extended use of UAVs over the US and the communications methods used to control them.

Regards

John

AlertNewEngland

Premium Subscriber
Hi John,

Now that we have another Ground Station on line in New England, I wonder how close we are to getting a SMU for the region?

Steve (d4)

Hi Steve

Very close indeed.
It must be quite frustrating for you , because if you have a look at this...

http://www.coaa.co.uk/pp-sh-us-jpg.php

you'll see that the sharers in yellow just need to be
convinced to send raw data , turning them green , and the makings of quite a number of Mlat sectors are there.

Thanks to help from the PlaneFinder folks , who dual share to both PF and PP , overall US coverage is increasing , but the raw data for Mlat element needs to be publicised more.
Lets not forget that whilst an inital registration fee is charged for PP , its non commercial and the user is in full control of his/her personal config.

The UK was Mlat phase one...lets try to make Phase 2 , the USA.

Regards

John

D

DaveNF2G

Unfortunately, several of those yellow sharers are using RadarBox and cannot send raw data. They need to be convinced to upgrade their hardware, which can be a tough sell in today's economy.

AlertNewEngland

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if it's stuck in a bit of a loop, too. Perhaps people don't set up as GS's because even if they do, there won't be enough for mlat's, but then we don't have enough for mlats because people don't set up as GS's. Maybe the PP folks could pick sharers who do have the needed equipment and send them individual emails, explaining the process and benefits, and offering to help them through it? Once we hit the 'critical mass' and start getting mlats, I think you would get more new people using planeplotter, and some of them will likely be interested in setting up ground stations ($125 for microADSB) vs. paying the MU fee ($15 per year).

Adenosine

Location by Share Circles , Location by BeamFinder , Beamfinder Plus S and Beamfinder Plus [ the latter using Mode A sqwk codes to locate traffic]

I am still learning a lot about PP. Do you have any links for guides or instructions to use BeamFinder , Beamfinder Plus S and Beamfinder Plus?

I am still learning a lot about PP. Do you have any links for guides or instructions to use BeamFinder , Beamfinder Plus S and Beamfinder Plus?

There's a video here

bf+tutorial.wmv - YouTube
which should be viewed after reading the comprehensive description in the help file

All three systems use a similar procedure to set up.

Here in the UK BF Plus and BF plus S give extremely accurate fixes.

I wonder if it's stuck in a bit of a loop, too. Perhaps people don't set up as GS's because even if they do, there won't be enough for mlat's, but then we don't have enough for mlats because people don't set up as GS's. Maybe the PP folks could pick sharers who do have the needed equipment and send them individual emails, explaining the process and benefits, and offering to help them through it? Once we hit the 'critical mass' and start getting mlats, I think you would get more new people using planeplotter, and some of them will likely be interested in setting up ground stations ($125 for microADSB) vs. paying the MU fee ($15 per year).

I agree about the loop syndrome...but of course thats how we started in the UK
I set up a mini network to start with , then each of us in the network introduced a couple of sharers , trained them up and so the system grew.

Once mlats start to kick in and sharers see it in action , word spreads quickly.

Dont forget if you are a master user and want a taste of mlats in action you can view the UK even if you are US based...just slide your map over and check them out {F10 } .
Obviously we have a huge number of GS, giving us cover down to 100 feet or so in most areas , but
in wide areas such as the USA , a good spread of GS every 50-100 miles should give cover from 5000 feet and above.

New version released

This version adds the vertical speed component where it is available.
Until now , this has only been seen by users with their own Mode S device

****Please treat this as a critical upgrade.
****In due course previous versions will be phased out.

Release notes from Bev below

Regards

John

PP Support
.........................................................................................................................

Hi,

PlanePlotter version 6.2.8 is now available for download following the link on the the web site.

PlanePlotter from COAA

---Usual boilerplate---

Updates are free to registered users.

You may need to exercise your browser Refresh function to force it to show you the new version of the PlanePlotter web page. If you post a message saying that the web site is still pointing to an earlier version, you pay a forfeit.

You can install the new version over the old one but you *must* close/exit PlanePlotter before installing the new one. Your settings will be preserved. If you post a message saying that the installer is unable to replace planeplotter.exe, it means that you did not close PP first and you pay a forfeit.

If you have a version-specific firewall (eg Zone Alarm), you may have to reassure it that the new version is permitted to access the Internet.

-----------

Version 6.2.8 of PlanePlotter adds sharing of the vertical speed component where it is available.

Bev
COAA

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Forward for RR PlanePlotter Users/Readers:

U2 caught during Auto Mlat check

PlanePlotter users will be familiar with the recently introduced Sector Master User system which generates up to 100,000 mlat fixes every 24 hours during peak times.
Each day I sample the auto system to monitor performance and this morning's check yielded an unexpected visitor , a U2 coming in off the Atlantic.
All other a/c in the animation are also Mlats [ non plotters ]

http://satcomuk.yolasite.com/resources/U2am.gif

MikeMike

Premium Subscriber
Greetings from CT

I have only recently started sharing with a GS sending data 24/7 under the code "mN". I credit AlertNewEngland for the coaching and push over the edge with his posts on Facebook.

In any event, just curious if we've crept any closer to reaching the critical mass yet for a solution to more mlats?

Mike

AlertNewEngland

Premium Subscriber
Mike,

I'm seeing between 10-30 a day now, but the range is a little limited and I usually only see one or two successful plots on the same plane. When I started a year or two ago, there were 0 mlats, every day, so I'm pretty excited to see the new users like yourself pushing it over. It's probably take a few more GS's before we see the kind of mlats they see in the UK, but we're getting there!

Steve

Hi Mike

Welcome to PlanePlotter and many thanks for setting up as a GS.
As Steve comments , mlat fixes are gradually increasing as more Ground Stations appear.

Hopefully with the advent of the $20 dongle and the recent introductory videos prepared by Nic Storey , more US users will pop up.

I can control the SMUs from the UK and am constantly updating them in an attempt to widen the mlat net.

Way out east , in the Colorado cluster they have 8-10 constant ground stations spread over three states....but there I can generate nearly 40 mlats every 60 seconds , so once that critical mass stage is reached , things really start picking up.

If you are a member of the Yahoo PP group you'll hopefully be seeing the daily mlat fix reports......we generate over 100,000 hits a day now....and traffic wise , this is the quiet season !

Once again , thanks for all your efforts ..... the more GS the better the Mlat network.
I have set myself a personal target to try to join the east coast of the USA with the west coast in terms of an Mlat network , by the middle of the year......can I achieve it ? I certainly hope so , but I'll need as much help as possible.

Regards

John

[ Just to clarify things ..... as I have been pulled up by the group moderators in the past re advertising commercial products....I am a PP user , nothing more I am not employed by COAA but give my time freely in the spirit of co-operation between like minded enthusiasts...... the sharing network is provided by COAA at their expense ]

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
I have doing HFDL for awhile. I have the rtl-sdr and just not impressed with what I get here in the country.

Would sharing HFDL info on PP be something I can do? Is it worth it? I would buy the program if it helped and allowed me to see shared stuff as well.

Been running about 45 minutes today and already have 48 hits using HFDL.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I would love to run PlanePlotter. In order to do that I need to get it to work with my RTL-SDR device. I can't seem to figure out how to do that. I'd much rather have a text description of what to do, rather than go watch a video.. help me accomplish that, and you'll have a mediocre station in the Rocky Mountain foothills of western Canada. (If I ever get my DPD antenna up outside, my signal and aircraft count should be dramatically improved.)

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
I would love to run PlanePlotter. In order to do that I need to get it to work with my RTL-SDR device. I can't seem to figure out how to do that. I'd much rather have a text description of what to do, rather than go watch a video.. help me accomplish that, and you'll have a mediocre station in the Rocky Mountain foothills of western Canada. (If I ever get my DPD antenna up outside, my signal and aircraft count should be dramatically improved.)

What OS are you using?

Jay911

Feed Provider
What OS are you using?

Windows 7 64-bit. I've followed the instructions I've found to get "RTL1090" running (and yes I used the 32 bit drivers) but it never shows me that it's receiving anything past the "Started.." line. I do get aircraft using ADSB# and adsbScope, so I tried running ADSB# and changing the port settings in PP to use the port that ADSB# sends from, with no luck.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Windows 7 64-bit. I've followed the instructions I've found to get "RTL1090" running (and yes I used the 32 bit drivers) but it never shows me that it's receiving anything past the "Started.." line. I do get aircraft using ADSB# and adsbScope, so I tried running ADSB# and changing the port settings in PP to use the port that ADSB# sends from, with no luck.

Strange. I have had no issues getting everything setup. Even here where I live the windows is pretty active.

Do you have list selected? I notice I get tons of useless info and why I have switched to HFDL.

I am even using Windows 8 where many have failed in that regard.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Strange. I have had no issues getting everything setup. Even here where I live the windows is pretty active.

Do you have list selected? I notice I get tons of useless info and why I have switched to HFDL.

I am even using Windows 8 where many have failed in that regard.

Perhaps I was premature in complaining.. now that I have backed away from the PC, come at it fresh, and started it all up again, I seem to be getting data. My position puts a hill directly between me and the local airport, so I don't get to see aircraft until they're "past" me - maybe I was too impatient.

I was a bit confused by the "list" button - it looks like it's "depressed" when I see hex data, and gives me the aircraft list when I unselect it.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.