RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Aircraft Monitoring Forum > Aircraft Data Decoding

Aircraft Data Decoding A forum to discuss decoding the various data transmissions such as ACARS, Mode-S, ADS-B, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 8:17 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 106
Default RadarBox Repair in North America

Does anyone know of a place in North America that repairs RadarBoxes? I've been dealing with Waters & Stanton in the UK, they are excellent people and provide quality work but, the shipping costs are quite expensive along with the transit times is a real hassle.

Thanks
Paul
__________________
http://www.yulaviation.ca/
https://twitter.com/yulaviation
FR24 Feeder : T-CYUL2
RADARBOX & SBS-1
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 9:10 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NE Colorado
Posts: 497
Post

My house took a direct lightning strike several years ago and my Airnav Radarbox "let some smoke out",
I had to send mine all the way back to England for repairs, no way around it and yes the postage is high.
I actually got it back sooner than expected.

Just info on what I had to go through.

73,Rex
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 9:33 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprswatcher View Post
My house took a direct lightning strike several years ago and my Airnav Radarbox "let some smoke out",
I had to send mine all the way back to England for repairs, no way around it and yes the postage is high.
I actually got it back sooner than expected.
Just info on what I had to go through.
73,Rex
Yea, they have a decent turn around but the cost kills me. I've sent mine back 3x over the years.
__________________
http://www.yulaviation.ca/
https://twitter.com/yulaviation
FR24 Feeder : T-CYUL2
RADARBOX & SBS-1
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Jay911's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bragg Creek, Alberta
Posts: 6,825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYUL View Post
Yea, they have a decent turn around but the cost kills me. I've sent mine back 3x over the years.
Yikes. Just.. yikes.

I have one I'm no longer using because I find the RTL dongle to do just as good, if not better, of a job. I'm using the indoor antenna, so I couldn't part with that, but it sounds like you probably wouldn't need it anyway. If you ever find yourself needing another ANRB, let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 8:49 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYUL View Post
Does anyone know of a place in North America that repairs RadarBoxes? I've been dealing with Waters & Stanton in the UK, they are excellent people and provide quality work but, the shipping costs are quite expensive along with the transit times is a real hassle.

Thanks
Paul
Hi Paul, I thought you got your problems sorted out the last time?

Jason
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 PM
DaveNF2G's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Rensselaer, NY
Posts: 6,703
Default

AirNav has a terrible reputation among several user forums. I don't know personally about their repair service (I sold my Radar Box last year), but they have utterly failed to keep up with the capabilities of other Mode-S receivers on the market, while promising the Moon "real soon now" for a long time.

If you have repeated problems with your Radar Box (or any piece of hardware really), then you should consider switching brands. I use a ModeSBeast with outstanding results. I also have some SDR dongles and Mode-S software that do more than ANRB can.
__________________
David T. Stark
NF2G WQMY980 KYR7128
"Life would be much easier if certain people realized that I really do know what I'm talking about." -Me
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 2:02 PM
MikeOxlong's Avatar
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Central Ontario
Posts: 6,637
Default RadarBox Repair in North America

I got a used Radarbox just before Christmas and was initially pleased with it.
Then their server crashed just before Christmas and everything went down for days.
Their business model also leaves a lot to be desired. You can share your data with them but you get nothing in return. You have to pay to see other's shared data. If you decide to not share, you must turn off sharing every time you start the program. They default it to on every time and you cannot change that. Pretty slimey IMHO.
Software updates? Forget it. Apparently they've been stuck at the same version for a while. I don't think they'll be releasing anything new for a while.
I ended up going with PlanePlotter. Since I started, they've released an update to the program. I share my data enough that I qualify to receive other's shared data for free.
They also have mlat which uses data from multiple sharers to help show planes which don't broadcast their location.
My Radarbox now sits while my RTL dongle sees daily use.
__________________
Mike.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 7:51 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackss View Post
Hi Paul, I thought you got your problems sorted out the last time?

Jason
Yea, it's fixed. I was just wondering if I may have missed a place in NA that does repairs on them.
__________________
http://www.yulaviation.ca/
https://twitter.com/yulaviation
FR24 Feeder : T-CYUL2
RADARBOX & SBS-1
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 7:56 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
AirNav has a terrible reputation among several user forums. I don't know personally about their repair service (I sold my Radar Box last year), but they have utterly failed to keep up with the capabilities of other Mode-S receivers on the market, while promising the Moon "real soon now" for a long time.

If you have repeated problems with your Radar Box (or any piece of hardware really), then you should consider switching brands. I use a ModeSBeast with outstanding results. I also have some SDR dongles and Mode-S software that do more than ANRB can.
Yea they are not great handling customers. Even the people at Waters & Stanton mentioned their poor support while I was dealing with them. They basically shove owners to them and give very little information. Their software support is weak and they seem to depend on their clients to do a lot of their bug testing. ANRB is clunky and very slow at times - gets very frustrating. They like to mock SBS-1 as an outdated app but I'll tell you one thing; it has never failed me and Kinetics hardware is way more sensitive.
__________________
http://www.yulaviation.ca/
https://twitter.com/yulaviation
FR24 Feeder : T-CYUL2
RADARBOX & SBS-1
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 7:58 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxlong View Post
I got a used Radarbox just before Christmas and was initially pleased with it.
Then their server crashed just before Christmas and everything went down for days.
Their business model also leaves a lot to be desired. You can share your data with them but you get nothing in return. You have to pay to see other's shared data. If you decide to not share, you must turn off sharing every time you start the program. They default it to on every time and you cannot change that. Pretty slimey IMHO.
Software updates? Forget it. Apparently they've been stuck at the same version for a while. I don't think they'll be releasing anything new for a while.
I ended up going with PlanePlotter. Since I started, they've released an update to the program. I share my data enough that I qualify to receive other's shared data for free.
They also have mlat which uses data from multiple sharers to help show planes which don't broadcast their location.
My Radarbox now sits while my RTL dongle sees daily use.
Once my subscription is up I will not be renewing. I do not know why I should be paying when I share my data all day, everyday, all year round. I'll feed into FR24 since it is free.
__________________
http://www.yulaviation.ca/
https://twitter.com/yulaviation
FR24 Feeder : T-CYUL2
RADARBOX & SBS-1
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2013, 7:47 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYUL View Post
Once my subscription is up I will not be renewing. I do not know why I should be paying when I share my data all day, everyday, all year round. I'll feed into FR24 since it is free.

Funny you mention that, I cancelled my network subscription yesterday. I got an e-mail back from support confirming it would be cancelled once my current sub runs out.

Overall, Radarbox does what I want it to do. I have superb range, and living so close to YYZ, it comes in super handy for plane spotting. I know alot of people complain about no software updates etc. But it does seem to fulfill my needs.

regards,
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2013, 8:26 PM
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Diego County, California
Posts: 1,801
Angry

The last update from AirNav Support was from year 2009.
Still haven't found any other repair place for North America product owners.
__________________
AirNav Support Wrote:
Sorry but we don't. We are looking to have further bases in the different areas of the world so customers don't have to fork out a large amount on shipping back.
However if you buy from our dealers most will handle the repair proceadure themselves (in terms of either giving you a RB on the spot and sending of the other one or handling the sending of process). Though this does depend on dealers.
Thread Link: Airnav Please Help Me Urgently!!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2013, 3:08 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 106
Default

[QUOTE=If you have repeated problems with your Radar Box (or any piece of hardware really), then you should consider switching brands. I use a ModeSBeast with outstanding results. I also have some SDR dongles and Mode-S software that do more than ANRB can.[/QUOTE]

Hi Dave

How much was your Beast and did you get the assembled version?
__________________
http://www.yulaviation.ca/
https://twitter.com/yulaviation
FR24 Feeder : T-CYUL2
RADARBOX & SBS-1
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2013, 3:33 PM
DaveNF2G's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Rensselaer, NY
Posts: 6,703
Default

I'm sorry to say that I don't remember how much I paid for it, but it was far less expensive than the ANRB. I did have to solder the LEDs into mine.
__________________
David T. Stark
NF2G WQMY980 KYR7128
"Life would be much easier if certain people realized that I really do know what I'm talking about." -Me
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2013, 4:49 PM
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Diego County, California
Posts: 1,801
Arrow

Might be better to wait for the new version from Mode-S Beast company.
Not sure the release data for the new hardware version. Email them and ask them.

FR24 will sell the paid version later this year. It connects directly to your router/modem by Ethernet cable and It doesn't need a PC to run. You can use your laptop anywhere in the house and connect your Mode-S software(VRS,Planeplotter,etc) via the device IP address and port 30003. Hook up other stuff(webcam,AIS,etc) to the box USB port.
http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
I'm sorry to say that I don't remember how much I paid for it, but it was far less expensive than the ANRB. I did have to solder the LEDs into mine.
Hi Dave

I checked their website, the fully assembled version is 400 Euro's.

"Hardware: Transponder-Mouse 400,00 "
__________________
http://www.yulaviation.ca/
https://twitter.com/yulaviation
FR24 Feeder : T-CYUL2
RADARBOX & SBS-1
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions