Beast vs Kinetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
I currently own a GNS 5890 stick and plan to upgrade in the future to either Beast or Kinetic product. What seems to be the prevalent choice? What seems to be the best ADS-B receiver yet? Why? Do both work with whatever software is out there; e.g., Plane Plotter, Base Station, etc.?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Based "only" on the Planeplotter user version page, there appears to be more users of the SBS receiver in one or another of it's versions. http://www.coaa.co.uk/ppuserversions.php

Which receiver is best, I do not know. Whichever one works for you is best. If you're getting close to 200nm on aircraft around 33k feet with the dongle and antenna setup you have now, why spend more money?

If you do not know this point already, or for whomever else stumbles onto this thread down the line, spend it on the antenna first. Get your current antenna up above nearby structures if you can and see what that does for you. I use a DPD ADS-B antenna DPD Productions - VHF Air/Aviation Band, FBO Base, PCL, AWOS, ACARS & ADS-B (SBS / RadarBox) Antennas for Commercial & Hobbyist Applications

Quality coax is an equal factor. At the frequency that ADS-B is using, you'll want to use the best you can afford, or you compromise the ability of the antenna. While LMR-400 is nice, it may not work either for budget, or flexibility; LMR-240 or RG8X are alternatives.

I use a SBS-1er, but that means nothing if the antenna and coax feeding it are compromised.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Excellent advice, vagrant, will definitely take that into consideration. I am in the process of moving now and in my new home I will be able to get my antenna higher up. I currently use an Antennacraft ST2 with RG6 cable. Because of where I live now, I can't get the antenna much higher than 20' or 25'. Still, I'm able to see aircraft within 30 miles of my house, but at certain heights I start to loose them. I use a GNS 5890 ADS-B dongle? Stick? don't know what to call it and I think the terms mean the same? Anyways, my question for the preference between either, stems from the description of what those boxes do. For example, the Beast. Seems to do everything my GNS5890 does but, oh the price! Over $800 why? What does this thing does better than my dongle? Where's the convenience / advantage?

kma371

QRT
The cheap dongles on average produce more aircraft Than others. I use one and a Beast at a remote location.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Remote ADS-B

I agree Mtnbiker the pi setup is a great idea. I don't use a long coax, I went and kept the rtl noolec blue r820t2 in the mast just below the antenna. I use an aircraft l-band blade. The signal gets to my pc through a long usb extender I found at monoprice.com. I was thinking about pi setup to get the whole thing higher maybe at a friend's house? I already get good range so can't imagine much better range maybe see stuff into LA area?

invergordon

Having owned and operated the GNS5890, Beast, PlaneGadget, SBS-1er and RTL Dongles the best bang for buck is the RTL Dongle.

But as a previous poster mentioned, spend your charlie ash on the height, antenna, cables and connectors. The RTL Dongle at NZ$20 is by far the best value for a receiver, but I am basing that only on my experience in a relatively low volume ADS-B/Mode-S airspace here in New Zealand.

I parted company with the GNS5890 pretty quickly as it didn't have the `range` and is limited in software support.

I'm running an RTL Dongle, an ex-FR24 antenna, LMR400 cable connected to a Raspberry Pi that runs 365/24/7 (on leap years I have the 29th February off!!). The decoding software varies some days from dump1090 to modesdeco2, however, if you just have a Windows PC then RTL1090 will do an admirable job.

Cheers,
Michael
adsb.hfaero.com

invergordon

OK gcopter, an RTL Dongle is a cheap, originally designed to receive digital tv broadcasts, USB device that, like the GNS5890 you just plug into your PC and connect an antenna. You can get them on any trading sites and an example in the US would be these on eBay:

Rtl SDR Blog Brand R820T2 RTL2832U Software Defined Radio Dongle Only | eBay

They are called RT Dongles because of the RTL2832U chip inside.

They are not the same as the GNS5890 or MicroADSB or any other small dongle like receiver.

You can also visit the American store at Nooelec.com for some accessories to the dongle.

Cheers,
Michael
adsb.hfaero.com

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Going back to my original questions, the gist I'm getting is that the Beast, Airnav Radarbox, Kinetic are overpriced devices with no redeeming qualities? Yes, they display aircraft the same as the cheaper stuff but there has to be features worth the extra money.

invergordon

Well, this all depends on your level of computer skills and ability to follow threads of information scattered across the internet.

If you buy a product such as RadarBox, SBS-3 then you have, display software and support from the retailer and some solid instructions on how to get it going, similar to GNS5890 if I recall correctly.

The RTL Dongle, while cheap, requires you to go find some suitable decoding and display software(s), configure them, and maintain the system so that it keeps running. This process can cause loss of hair, fracture relationships and cause so much frustration that you wish you'll weren't born in a technological era!

Personally, I'd prefer the former, but money is not freely available so I went with the latter and while I have a reasonably stable ADS-B/Mode-S system that does what I want it to do.

A Beast receiver is a bit of a compromise as you will still need display software, however, it is a very good receiver. Depending on whether you want to run it on a PC or Linux box or Beaglebone etc will determine what display software you buy/obtain.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for the replies. I decided on a SBS-3 and very much looking forward to getting it, although I ordered on the 19th, it seems to be coming in a slow boat from China as I still have yet to receive it.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I can't understand spending hundreds of dollars for something that can be had for tens or less? The RTL dongle with free virtual radar server and free adsb# gets the same results as any radarbox or sbs box. The game is up the high end boxes are overpriced for a niche market. Please guys read the forums and go cheap first save the money for a new scanner.

majoco

Stirrer
There's a very good ADSB# setup on YouTube that worked for me - a relative computer moron. All I need to do now is make a 8 element co-linear and mount the RTL right at the base of the antenna and feed the USB cable in through the window.....next week maybe...... :roll:

frazpo

I can't understand spending hundreds of dollars for something that can be had for tens or less? The RTL dongle with free virtual radar server and free adsb# gets the same results as any radarbox or sbs box. The game is up the high end boxes are overpriced for a niche market. Please guys read the forums and go cheap first save the money for a new scanner.

No kidding. I already had a Pi so I bought another SD card, loaded Debian, loaded DUMP1090 and was tracking in minutes, plus feeding Flightaware for a premium account :). Fun stuff,, I love the constant pursuit of more distant aircraft!

$40 if I started from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.