Dump1090 settings for Raspberry Pi with SDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

Got my Rasp Pi setup and running Dump1090 this afternoon and feeding it to Virtual Radar. Just wondered if anyone has found some good optimum settings for dump1090? I seem to be decoding as well as I was with adsb#. Just wanting some input.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
If you're sharing to FlightAware, their version of dump1090 supposedly has optimal settings...I'm going to verify when I get home that is the case...

Got my Rasp Pi setup and running Dump1090 this afternoon and feeding it to Virtual Radar. Just wondered if anyone has found some good optimum settings for dump1090? I seem to be decoding as well as I was with adsb#. Just wanting some input.

frazpo

If you're sharing to FlightAware, their version of dump1090 supposedly has optimal settings...I'm going to verify when I get home that is the case...

I did not use the PiAware sd card build. I used Malcom Robbs version of Dump1090 and loaded piaware as an addon. I seem to have got it optimized. I was using dump1090-mutability for a couple of days but it began to crash for some reason.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
--gain and -10 are the entries that piaware added in their latest update (1.20). I didn't see much difference, but I have a crappy antenna setup which limits my receiving distance anyway...

From the piaware release notes:

piaware 1.20-1

• Greatly improved range and message rate by configuring dump1090 to use auto-gain rather than max gain (--gain -10 added to dump1090 arguments). Sites allowing remote upgrade will be upgraded automatically. People running their own copies of dump1090 are advised to add --gain -10 to their dump1090 command line arugments to obtain these same improvements.

pi@piaware /etc/init.d $ more fadump1090.sh
#!/bin/bash
### BEGIN INIT INFO
#
# Provides: dump1090
# Required-Start: $remote_fs
# Required-Stop: $remote_fs
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: dump1090 initscript
#
### END INIT INFO
# Fill in name of program here.
PROG_ARGS="--quiet --net --gain -10"

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

DAEMON=/usr/bin/dump1090
PIDFILE=/var/run/dump1090.pid

test -x $DAEMON || exit 5

LOCKFILE=/var/lock/dump1090

frazpo

OK, I have been running gain at -10. And after messing around with settings it does seem to improve.
About the antenna. I made a simple Cantenna out of plain metal can (can vegetables) and my planes,messages, and coverage improved bigtime. Probably doubled my planes and messages.
Anyway, thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.