How to remove static!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Here is my situation.
I purchased a Diamond Discone,(D130J) to use exclusively for aircraft since discones have an upward radiating pattern. I am using LMR-400 Cable (50FT) on a 20 foot mast attached to the side of my deck. Now I live in a newer house and neighborhood which is only 14 years old. The neighborhood was made so that everything is underground. This means no transformers, cables, poles, street lights ect... I love that. My problem is I get heavy static on my scanners ( BC-785, BCT-15,996 for example and I cant seem to nail its origin. I dont get it on FM, just the aircraft stuff. My question is How does one remove or at least reduce static on this band? I have grounded the mast to an 8ft ground rod. I have changed the location of the mast with no improvements. Again, Its not killing the reception totally, but its reducing it quite a bit. There is no electrical equipment in the vivinity of the radio or antenna line. Any suggestions?

Manny

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Qrn

AM (as in air band) is very susceptible to static noise. FM isn't.

Noise sources abound near civilization. They range from touch-lamp controllers to delaminated doorbell transformers to microwave ovens to the neighbor's arc welder to the fish tank heater controller to......

ARRL wrote up a lot of this tribal knowlege in the ARRL Handbook. Buy one or visit your local library.

(As an Amateur Extra Class licensee you already knew this stuff, right?)

ipfd320

Banned
static problems

as i was reading the post i also had the same problems believe it or not the problem i was faceing was the cable (cablevision) being in close proximity to the antenna cable coming into the radio room to my computer...i did the reroute and so far all is well....good luck

Bill_White

Set the scanner(s) on a Bounce dryer sheet…:roll:
Just kidding..:D
Is it coming from your house?
Can you operate off batteries?
If so, turn off the main breaker and check for the noise.
Did it go away?
Turn the power back on.
If it returns, start unplugging things until you find the culprit.
Router
Computer
Monitors
Plasma TV
Wall warts
Touch lamps
Florescent bulbs
Ect, ect, ect…

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
GOOD ONE!
Yeah, I do know this but two things are wrong with that. First, I dont care for,nor want to have anything to do with the ARRL or anything it puts out. I just dont care for them. Long story and not the right forum either. Second, I dont get this type of problem on my HF TX rigs or my Shortwawve radios. Thats why I thought it was something to do with the AIR band.

Manny

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Arrl

GOOD ONE!
Yeah, I do know this but two things are wrong with that. First, I dont care for,nor want to have anything to do with the ARRL or anything it puts out. I just dont care for them. Long story and not the right forum either. Second, I dont get this type of problem on my HF TX rigs or my Shortwawve radios. Thats why I thought it was something to do with the AIR band.

Manny

So you're going to ask folks to retype it all for you because you don't want to borrow a technical book?

Life is too short and RFI is too wierd to blow off good info.

I hope you get lucky.

immelmen

Thats why I thought it was something to do with the AIR band.

Manny

I am no expert on solving interference issues in the house, but I can say for sure it is not the air band. The audio from the radios on board large commercial aircraft is excellent, sharp, clear and almost always static free. The only exceptions are when flying through heavy rain or in the tops of very statically charged clouds.

I also have a hand held Icom A-22 air band transceiver to compare with. The audio from that thing is not even remotely close in quality to the stuff in the aircraft.

georged4997

Premium Subscriber
manny
i have a large tv 52 inch about 8ft from my h.f radio . i was getting all static at times. i unplugged the
tv. and cable . now the static is gone. wouldnt hurt to try.my scanner is in the other room. i never
got static on that.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
So you're going to ask folks to retype it all for you because you don't want to borrow a technical book?

Life is too short and RFI is too wierd to blow off good info.

I hope you get lucky.

Wrong again, dam dude, thats twice! Give it up already. lol.......I said I didnt care about anything the ARRL puts out. I never said anything about other books/sources on the subject. They're not the only game in town. It was just a simple question. Anyway, George, Bill, I will try that, very good suggestions.

Thanks

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.