Newbie NE Alabama. What is being tested here? Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

tds12659

Hello! Thanks for having a great forum for people like me who watch the sky!
I currently do not have an Amature Radio. I used to (when I had the time) ply around with many different types of radio and would still enjoy listening and chatting....but, life goes on.
My question for anyone who can help please do so. I, and a LOT of others in the area, will greatly appreciate it.
For maybe 3 or 4 years now, there hd been a type aircraft that is being flown over Nrtheast Alabama almost every day that the weather is clear. I suspect it is a new Military aircraft such as the F/A 22 Raptor. These are usually flown in pairs. They are VERY difficult to see...very easilly heard. The FEW times I have seen them they appear to be a fighter type craft. The leve no contrail, although I think they are well above normal aviation flight levels for the most part...45,000 ft or so. Hundreds of commercial/civillian craft pass overhead here each day. Most are going into and out of Atlanta usually from Memphis.
This craft is black or dark grey. I have noticed that they are in pairs (when I have seen them). They appear to be chasing each other as if they are dogfighting. They actually look almost like a Lear type craft. But that is NOT possible from the manuevers I have watched them perform....STEEEEEEP DDrives to the point of "screaming" as the craft dives and almost to the point of exceeding the speed of sound...etc.
If anyone knows what these are or any info I would appreciate finding out as I am always interested in all aircraft....just a fascination of sorts. I am one of these type people who always "Look Up" when I here any aircraft flying overhead. I was in military back in the 1970's and in combat for what it is worth.
Please advise as there are 25+ people wanting to know what these are. Thank You, Tee Dee

tds12659

HELP PLEASE!!!! Newbie need info on aircraft

Hello! Thanks for having a great forum for people like me who watch the sky!
I currently do not have an Amature Radio. I used to (when I had the time) ply around with many different types of radio and would still enjoy listening and chatting....but, life goes on.
My question for anyone who can help please do so. I, and a LOT of others in the area, will greatly appreciate it.
For maybe 3 or 4 years now, there has been a type aircraft that is being flown over Northeast Alabama almost every day that the weather is clear. I suspect it is a new Military aircraft such as the F/A 22 Raptor. These are usually flown in pairs. They are VERY difficult to see... about every 20 times heard they will be seen. SCREAMING Noises as they perform the maneuvers... very easilly heard. The FEW times I have seen them they appear to be a fighter type craft. The leve no contrail, although I think they are well above normal aviation flight levels for the most part...45,000 ft or more!!. MOST commercial craft crossing this area are 30-35000 ft or less. Hundreds of commercial/civillian craft pass overhead here each day. seems to be no matter to anyone as I've never noticed any evasive maneuvers on any craft. Most are going into and out of Atlanta usually from Memphis.
This craft is black or dark grey. I have noticed that they are in pairs (when I have seen them). They appear to be chasing each other as if they are dogfighting. They actually look almost like a Lear type craft. But that is NOT possible from the manuevers I have watched them perform....STEEEEEEP Dives to the point of "screaming" as the craft dives and almost to the point of exceeding the speed of sound...etc. (They may actually be above the SOS before getting to the area...I suspect that is the case as they are moving so much faster than normal air traffic.
If anyone knows what these are or any info I would appreciate finding out as I am always interested in all aircraft....just a fascination of sorts. I am one of these type people who always "Look Up" when I hear any aircraft flying overhead. I was in military back in the 1970's and in combat for what it is worth. The old F4 Phantom and the "Thud" was the main stay at the time.
Please advise as there are 25+ people wanting to know what these are. We all drive oursekves nuts trying to see them. I have tried to photograph with no luck....move to fast and I can't keep 'em in focus long enough to get a pic.
Thank You, Tee Dee

K4DHR

The F-22 is built at Lockheed-Martin in Marietta, Ga, just northwest of Atlanta. They commonly fly over north Georgia and Alabama for their test flights.

Centre is almost right underneath the flight path for the Memphis transition of the RMG/ERLIN arrivals into Atlanta. All Atlanta arrivals are required to cross the Memphis Center/Atlanta Center boundary at or below FL330, so I suspect they're probably in the high to mid 20s just west of RMG.

tds12659

K4DHR, Thanks for the reply....I am very familiar with the Memphis to Atlanta routes as I watch them almost any day/night when weather permits (NOT that I stand outside day & Night looking for 'em) I notice things more so than the average person. Having been in combat and straffed etc, over 35 yrs ago I cannot help but "Look Up" whenever I hear a jet/plane of anykind.
I did not know the FA-22 was built in Marieta...That is what this is I am now POSITIVE! These things probably are just below Mach1I when they are overhead as they are movin' on. They are almost impossible to see...I have seen them on a few occaisions....very crystal clear day and almost flying overhead...usually two, one "chasing" the other or an F-15 chasing one or Two....The SOUND of the FA22 is UNMISTAKABLE....to me it sounds a lot like a MIG 21 I believe is what it was I remember so vividly.
Back to the MEM/ATL route. There are literally hundreds, if at times, not thousands, of flights that come directly overhead going into and departing ATL on a daily basis! I see that FED-EX has a main HUB at MEM and shipps direct into ATL daily. I watch Google Earth air traffic occaisionally and this site will say what the flight is...Commercial or frieght or private aircraft. It gives speed, altitude, the departure past and future locations etc.
Most outgoing traffic passes just to the SW during daytime and incoming to the NE. The nightime traffic is right opposite...incomming directly overhead and outgoing to the NW of my location.... It is Amazing to watch these things and space object as well. I look at LIVE REAL TIME SATELLITE AND SPACE SHUTTLE TRACKING AND PREDICTIONS this will let one see the current satelite traffic and any upcoming over head....times of overflight etc.
OK enough of my two cents. I appreciate you verifying my suspicions. I appreciate it...Hardly anyone believes I actually saw these planes a few times. I can usually "spot" anything if the sun is at the correct angle and I look intensely enough.
Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year...tds

tds12659

Dosen't surprise me with the Prseident we have now....all political however, I watch the Military channel a lot.....the cost of the FA-22 is many times that of the FA-15-16-18 according to the Military historians etc...they say it is NOT needed. I do not agree with that at all. History tends to repeat over and over. During WWII we see a perfect example of being under armed....IF the US President at the time and Generals had of listened to people like George S. Patton we would NOT have been fighting a Cold War with The USSR. IF the same had listened to Doug McArthur we would not be loosing our Industrial Baseto China. We, sooner or later will end up in a very devastating War with China....that is what I see in the making anyway. I worked in China and SEAsia for over 2 years...it is still VERY MUCH Communist. I cannot for the life of me, understand why we allow our industry to be moved to China ... KNOWING that this is the very reason or economy is in shambles...along with bad political decisions that allow people to borrow many thousands of $$ Knowing that they can never pay it back!
I felt like such a Hypocrite working there and did quit the Job! I have been offered more jobs to "Consult" in SE Asia and China...I will NOT go back. Just my two cents worth that I firmly believe...

pilotman1260

They do fly everyday when weather permits it will be F-22A and usually F-16 Lockheed flying chase,they do all their flight tests in that area,climb up to 45,000 then start their descent to 34,000,than 25,000 than down to 18,000 direct Centre,Al where they do low level over Weiss Lake and surrounding area.You can follow them on UHF Atc Frequencies and their VHF A/A freqs,if you have a scanner capable.

tds12659

Frequencies?

Thanks...I was so sure that this is the 22 and 16....the height is why I only see them when they are almost direct overhead....I live about 15 NM (Way the crow flies) from the Leesburg area on Lookout Mtn.
Do you know what the frequencies are or where I can get them?? I don't have a lot of time but would be nice to listen when I here them for long periods of time....They do dive....big time. If I were "Guessing" I'd say they are almost at Mach I in the dives by the sound and whistling/roaring coming out of the dive. It must be awesome to pilot one of these things. I'd be scraed outta my skin! LOL

K4DHR

Back to the MEM/ATL route. There are literally hundreds, if at times, not thousands, of flights that come directly overhead going into and departing ATL on a daily basis! I see that FED-EX has a main HUB at MEM and shipps direct into ATL daily. I watch Google Earth air traffic occaisionally and this site will say what the flight is...Commercial or frieght or private aircraft. It gives speed, altitude, the departure past and future locations etc.

Yep, I work at Memphis Center, so I'm well acquainted with all of the FedEx traffic in and out of Memphis. They've been running about an extra 40 flights per day through the 23rd. I'm not exactly sure how many they send to-from Atlanta as I don't work the SE side of Memphis.

I think under their current configuration in VFR conditions, they average somewhere around 2500 operations per day. That's quite a bit of traffic!

Status
Not open for further replies.