What do use for antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

questnz

For a handheld, try Watson WSMA 901 specifically tuned to Air Band and I think it comes with BNC connector, I also have good results with Diamond SRH 77CA and Nagoya MA-771 both nearly twice longer than Watson. ps There was similar thread not that long ago, you may have check other forums.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
What kind of antenna are you talking about? Handheld, mobile, or base?

majoco

Stirrer
I cut down a disused 300 ohm TV antenna with a balun for the aircraft band - works well, make it vertical though! 24inches each side for 125MHz.

nanZor

Most 2-meter amateur antennas will do the job, although they are about 4 inches too short on vhf airband for your typical quarter wave.

A fantastic airband antenna quarter-wave can be made from a Hustler MO-4 mobile mast (22 inches tall), and 23 inch quarter wave radials, or just a ground plane. It is certainly beefy, so it will withstand being on a mountaintop.

DPD Productions would be another fine choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpectreOZ

A coax for an old analog TV antenna works ok for scanners with a BNC connector.

The audio / modulation is weak, but it works if you want to improvise. :)

Dividing the centre and outer elements of the cable can improve performance further (coaxial dipole) although adding an air choke might also be advantageous...

Currently I'm using a homebrew 27Mhz quarterwave mobile antenna which makes a good attempt on the VHF Aviation Band however a dedicated 5/8w omni works even better, from what I've seen 1/4 VHF ground plane antennas work extremely well also (especially if cut/tuned for the band) :D

scottymcneill8657

Premium Subscriber
I use a 2 meter jpole 15ft of the ground hooked to a 20db amplifier in a fairly wooded area. Without the amp the farthest I can pickup is Montreal. With amp the farthest is South Dakota. I'm in Southern Maryland by the way. Works great on everything in the 100-200ish megahertz range- I've even (for about 5 seconds) gotten New Brunswick Canada.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I once used a dipole cut half wave for CB. That thing blew away other people in the direction I was transmitting. I also used a Jpole for VHF on a business radio my friend and I used. I think the frequency was green dot. 154.600 if I remember. The best part was Mcdonalds was using that channel and I would piss off a lot of people at the drive thru. :lol: :lol: :lol: I was in high school at the time. Young and dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.