Anyone Know About This Yagi Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenJJ

I was rambling through Ramsey Electronics and I found this Yagi antenna: http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=YAGI

It looks like the 400-4 Model Yagi Antenna 300 - 500 MHz could cover the mil air frequencies. The description describes the designer of the Yagi as "Joe Reisert, WIJR, probably the best know VHFer has entered into the antenna business with a killer line of Yagis..."

I've never heard of Joe Reisert, WIJR? Has anyone heard of this supposed antenna designer "superstar"? Does anyone have experience with this line of Yagis?

I'm intrigued because the antenna boom is so short (I wonder about the gain?) that it would be great for portable monitoring either on foot or by automobile.

Also I wonder how well a Yagi can cover such a wide swath of frequencies from 300 to 500 Mhz?

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Looks like it doesn't

I did a little looking around, as I was curious about the bandwidth, of what looks like a standard (if well made) yagi. One of the ads noted that you had to cut the elements
to the desired operating frequency.

DPD1

When they say "300-500" or whatever... I think they mean you can cut it to somewhere in there. It's impossible for that design to be that wide in total.

Dave
http://www.DPDProductions.com
- Custom Scanner, MURS, GMRS, & Ham Antennas -

BenJJ

"Wideband" Yagi?

"...When they say "300-500" or whatever... I think they mean you can cut it to somewhere in there. It's impossible for that design to be that wide in total..."

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. If wideband yagis were this simple...4 elements...2 foot long boom...I would have homebrewed a ton of these.

But still, the way the table listing on the Ramsey page reads it seems to state it COVERS 300-500 Mhz, continuously.

Maybe W1JR knows something we all don't?!

n4voxgill

Silent Key
a yagi would not make a good milair antenna. you would miss many transmissions because of the directivity of a yagi antenna. be good in one direction and bad in all others.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
n4voxgill said:
a yagi would not make a good milair antenna. you would miss many transmissions because of the directivity of a yagi antenna. be good in one direction and bad in all others.
Exactly. I use a handheld Yagi to make contacts on ham satellites, and if I'm off even by a few degrees, I lose the signal. And I have some idea as to where the satellite is in the sky!

It would be a total crapshoot to figure out where a mil plane might be. I'd forget the Yagi and invest in a good discone or similar.

Erik
KA3FYU

DPD1

BenJJ said:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. If wideband yagis were this simple...4 elements...2 foot long boom...I would have homebrewed a ton of these.

But still, the way the table listing on the Ramsey page reads it seems to state it COVERS 300-500 Mhz, continuously.

Maybe W1JR knows something we all don't?!

Probably not. Judging by the other colorful statements, I think they're probably using a little creative license. :)

A directional antenna can be wideband, but it needs to be an LP design. The LP design is directional, but can also be designed with omni ability and wideband characteristics. It's kind of like a discone with better gain in one direction. The 225-400 LP I offer works along those lines.

Dave
http://www.DPDProductions.com
- Custom Scanner, MURS, GMRS, & Ham Antennas -

ATCTech

Dave,

Have you ever done an LP design for 108-138MHz? Large yes, but I'd still be interested.

Cheers!

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.