Yaesu FTA 750L vs ICOM A24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
I am looking for a good quality aviation portable and am torn between the Yaesu FTA 750L and the ICOM A24. I don't know much about Yaesu so not sure how their quality stacks up against ICOM.

Thanks

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I am getting the FTA 550 tomorrow, I didn't need or want the GPS, but other than that they are the same radio. I'll let you know after I have had a chance to play with it.

sefrischling

Christopher

So far I am liking the FTA 550. Programming it manually isn't as intuitive as I'd like, but not a big deal.

One thing to keep in mind, the software to program the FTA 550/750 is a train wreck. I cannot make it work. I save all my files for the 550, it defaults them to the 750. Using a Win7 machine, I use only for radios, it will not see any port to upload or download from the radio. I have called customer service six times and no one there has used the software, is familiar with the software or has any literature for the software so they cannot help me trouble shoot the issues.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
Thanks for the info I appreciate it. Is the reception pretty good on it? Since the software is a train wreck is there anyway to program the radio manually without the the software?

sefrischling

I have taken the radio out to GON, HVN, PVD and the reception was fine, the speaker is a bit more tinny sounding than my now (sadly) dead Icom IC-A22 (I shall be holding a funeral shortly). The tin sound is more than made up by the functionality of the radio, its easy to read display, the length of alpha characters you can add.

I would advise getting the rechargeable battery rather than the one for six AA batteries. I usually get the rechargeable batteries but decided to give the AAs a shot ... bad move on my part. I have left it on and had it running 6hrs without hitting the low power indicator, but I would imagine battery life is far shorter with the 750, as it has the GPS. While I use rechargeable AAs, a drop in charger is far less of a pain in the @$$.

You do not need the software to program the FTA 550/750. You can do it through the keypad and then drop in alpha characters using the top dial. I loaded about 20 channels, with alpha text, in about an hour (I know it was an hour because the conference call was 1hr 13min as I loaded the radio). Software would just make it much easier and faster to program.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Hello Guys!

I have been on the fence about getting either the 550 or the 750 myself. While I don't NEED the GPS and NAV features of the 750, I would still like to have them. I used to own an Icom IC-A23 a few years ago. I sold it to upgrade but never got around to it. Icom air band radios are very good, but they lack the features found in the newer Yaesu portables. I WAS saving to get this one:Welcome to Yaesu.com. It has an audio pitch change ability to adjust the audio the way the user likes it.But now that the 550/750 are out, the choice is much harder. Once you get used to hearing aircraft comms on a dedicated air band radio, nothing else will do. My scanners are great for everything else, but in the aircraft band, they leave a lot to be desired. I miss my aviation portable!

Manny

Last edited:

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone who has either the FTA-550 or FTA-750 please comment on how well the squelch works. There have been some reports of the squelch being hot resulting in reception difficulties.

I presently use a VXA-220 and was looking at the FTA-550L as an upgrade.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone who has either the FTA-550 or FTA-750 please comment on how well the squelch works. There have been some reports of the squelch being hot resulting in reception difficulties.

I am not sure what "hot" means [If an Australian term]. I generally use "hot" in referrence to modulation which is very loud or distorted. I have the 750 but have only had it for a short time so take my comments with a grain of salt. The squelch is adjustable, but I have not had a problem with it opening when a weak signal is heard. By that I mean, I have a tower frequency loaded as a primary dual watch frequency and listen to the short arrivals frequency. The tower frequency does come in even though I have the squelch a little high because of house hold interference. Now, this is listening from some 15-20 kms from the tower, which generally produces a weak tower signal. I have not used the 750 near the airport as yet. Couple of other comments. The software from Yaesu I have no problem with. I am not a computer geek, but did manage to get the comm port set. The "audio pitch" does not, to my deaf ears, make much of a difference. Overall, it has a high pitch sound to it no matter how I set the pitch control. The memory scan function is confusing as I believe you have to set this in the programming to scan the frequencies placed in memory. Plus, to begin scanning is not as simple as one finds in scanners or ham radios. Takes a couple of menu prompts to get it scanning in VFO and memory. Scan is relatively fast however. One thing I have noticed when comparing with an FT-60 is the sound on the FT-60 is better/more pleasant but maybe not as loud. I can't comment yet on sensitivty, but with the little I have done with the FT-60 and 750, the FT-60 seems as good. I have both the 1800 mAh rechargable battery pack and as the AA pack is included with the 750 have used it when the 1800 mAh has run out [now this is for receiving and no transmitting as I am not using it for transmitting]. I have left the light for the display and keypad on all the time but with brightness turned down. The 1800 mAh battery will last a good 14 hours before shutting off. And this is with the GPS turned on. I have not had to use the AA pack except for a brief time when uploading info from the software, thus cannot tell how long these will last [and they are rechargable batteries which have to be removed from the AA pack to charge].

Last edited:

sefrischling

I would say the FTA-550 squelch can be a tad finicky. At random times even on 10 you'd swear it was on 1. Not sure what causes it, the issue comes and goes, but overall it is a really good radio.

vincecox

FTA-550 SQUELCH

I recently purchased the FTA550, whilst it it a good radio not too difficult to operate, there is only one real problem --- the squelch. It is so very sensitive and i have found i have to turn it up fully to reduce static noise. Also using it in a confined space increases the static pick up.
Has anyone else come across these problem ?
Its not a lot of use really as the weaker transmissions are not heard, as a back up radio im very doubtfull of its reliability.
ATIS is ok, but even in close proximty to the airfield it stuggles with tower or ground radio.

hayaku

resurrecting an old post here. i just bought the fta 750l and had some pc programming issues too. but i found the solution and saw that this thread had issues with programming the yaesu fta 550 and 750 radios. thought i would share some details that you may have missed.

the software contains both the application and a driver. both of these needs to be installed. chances are you just clicked ok as you went along and it installed fine.

the radio must be put into programming mode. if the radio is on in normal use mode, the pc will never be able to talk to it. you will get a timeout sync! error. even though your pc saw it once connected through usb.

to put the radio into programming mode:
- start with the radio off
- plug in the usb cable to both radio and pc
- press and hold menu
- press and hold power
- the screen on the radio will come on and display "cp mode"

now your application can see the radio and read and write to it like you would expect. remember to save your work.

hope that helps. so far loving this little radio and it's gps.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I try to make the Paper to listen legaly in and when I pass it I would like buy a Radio to get the usefull information on the Airport.
Its possible to programm some "listen only" freq in? In theories must support it to not interfere (by accident) Weather Broadcast.

It would be nice when someone could post some screenshot from the Software.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I found out there should be a way to block the PTT Button?!
Can someone confirmed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.