Looking up aircraft callsigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

I am just getting back in to the hobby after a period of time away from it, in the past week since I have been listening to air traffic control, both Launceston tower and the FIA frequencies I have noticed some call signs which seem to be new / different to when I was last listening.

Does a listing of these exist which can be looked up online?

Paul

pb_lonny

Thanks for that, I am in Australian so the FAA is no good for me.
I have a list of all VH- tail numbers so this side of it is fine, it is more call signs like:
FastJet1234
Qexpress 98
Hudson 34
Envoy 13

ATCTech

Search online for ICAO document 8585, that's the "bible". It's not distributed freely but you may find a version of it somewhere that's not too old.

majoco

Stirrer
Those are flight numbers, not aircraft regos. All scheduled carriers with regular timetables use flight numbers for their routes, usually odd numbers southbound and even north.

See...
http://planefinder.net/data/flight/NZ5059/
This ATR72 just goes Wellington to Christchurch and is a code share by Mount Cook Airline, the NZM059 as well as the AirNZ route as NZ5059. There is no following flight number for that aircraft so it may have a long layover or be in for maintenance - Christchurch is the ATR maintenance base. The same flight tomorrow will probably be a different rego'd aircraft. All Mount Cook flights are NZ5***. You won't hear them on HF.

If you just go to the
www.planefinder.net
site you will see a world map of every flight! WOW! Enlarge the Tasman and then click on any aircraft, you'll get the flight number and the rego.

Last edited:

pb_lonny

Thanks for the help, I have found the document suggested and this is exactly what I was looking for :)

Status
Not open for further replies.