Airlines on Amateur Bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomascattus

I was running the dial on the 30 meter band last night and heard a running dispatch from Airplanes checking in with San Francisco Airport giving destinations, altitudes, vectors, and such. The freq was 10.0614 upper side band. Any idea why they are down there? They are still there this afternoon.

ATCTech

HF aero occupies a number of dedicated spans between 2.8MHz and 21.99 MHz, all USB. Google MWARA and you'll find all kinds of information on aviation HF frequencies and the regions they belong to.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
<sigh> Once again, you don't need Google - just our wiki, where we have 2 MWARA links...

HF Aeronautical Communications - The RadioReference Wiki

I suspect the real frequency was 10057 khz, which is one of the Pacific (CEP) family of frequencies - why you're so far off is a mystery.

As an aside, the 30mb ham frequencies are from 10100-10150 khz, and no voice transmissions from hams are allowed there...

Mike

teufler

As a prior navy pilot, flying in the Pacific, hf was used about every flight, almost always on Transpac flights, or ib The Gulf of Tonkin when we checked into San Francisco for the local news.

Dutchster

Unfortunately I've never had much luck grabbing airplanes on HF in my current location. My dad lives about 15 miles southeast of me and it's amazing what he can pull in using a simple coax ladder antenna. I think it has to do with the fact that there's a commercial AM transmitter about three miles from me that simply overloads any AM reception below about 30 MHz.

invergordon

@Dutchster

Your problem is easily remedied with a BCB filter. I have the same issue though it does depend a lot on what receiver you have and if there's any front end filtering or pre-selection. My SDR (Afedri) has no FE filters so I've invested in a Clifton Labs filter which cuts out all the MW rubbish including a high power TX just a couple of klicks from home. It was well worth the money.

Token

I was running the dial on the 30 meter band last night and heard a running dispatch from Airplanes checking in with San Francisco Airport giving destinations, altitudes, vectors, and such. The freq was 10.0614 upper side band. Any idea why they are down there? They are still there this afternoon.

How sure are you of that frequency? San Fran should have been on 10057 kHz USB.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.