Pope Francis's visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadcall

It usually is "Shepherd 1 " which is what Pope Benedict's aircraft used. I assume all aircraft flying the Pope will use this call sign since ATC will be familiar with it.

Last edited:

freqhopping

It usually is "Shepherd 1 " which is what Pope Benedict's aircraft used. I assume all aircraft flying the Pope will use this call sign since ATC will be familiar with it.

Not so. That's some made-up crap by the media.

The pope flies on chartered Alitalia flights. The current flight is AZA4001.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
According to CNN...
The Federal Aviation-approved call sign "Shepard One", will be used for the Boeing 777 in which he'll be traveling around the United States, according to an official from American Airlines, which will be operating the plane.

The papal seal will also be affixed to the side of the aircraft, the only major modification that's planned. However, the flight number will be blocked per a Secret Service request, so the public won't be able to track its progress.

Once Francis wraps up his Washington visit and returns to Andrews Air Force Base on Thursday to head to New York, he'll ditch the Alitalia jetliner he's been on and pick up the American Airlines plane.

Air traffic control officials will use the name "Shepherd One" when speaking to the American Airlines captain flying the plane.

It's become customary for the Pope to fly on and return home from official visits on the flag carrier of the country he has toured.

The Pope's aircraft, chartered by the U.S. Conference of Bishops, will fly Francis from Andrews to John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York and then to Philadelphia International Airport before carrying the pope back to Rome at the end of his first U.S. visit.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
I watched a show on the Discovery Channel a couple years ago. I forget the namne of the show but it basic toured behind the scene of the Vatican. One of the first scenes Pope Benedict was returning from a trip abroad an an Alitalia and stated it was for the most part not modified for the Pope. The only thing that was said to have been done was the removal of about 5 rows of seats to provide the Pope extra leg room.

I'll be listening to ZDC and ZNY on Thursday at work, if I can find this new RFI issue tomorrow.

My RDO is Friday so I'll hook up my spare scanner to an antenna and listen to PHL approach and tower then. I'll have plenty of time since I'll be waiting for my new iPhone to arrive.

Thanks for the info everyone.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I wish I recorded it, but I heard "Shepherd One" land at JFK, leaving JFK and at 12 miles out from landing in Philly, you gotta love the Internet with LiveATC.net and Broadcastify.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Next leg scheduled already.

Flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL9420

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

hfxChris

Database Admin
Just heard Shepherd One with Gander Oceanic on 5616. There was some confusion, Gander thought they should have been using their American Airlines call sign, but after consultation they would use Shepherd One and were going to pass the info along to Shanwick.

Status
Not open for further replies.