KSAN -> KPDX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carob

Hello.

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not but here goes...

I'm looking to take a trip from KSAN to KPDX in a few weeks and would like to monitor traffic during the route. But, how do I figure out which freqs will be used? The flight plan is pretty much always the same and I have that but I don't know how I can find the freqs that will be used.

I have run the flight in my flight sim but I'm thinking things have probably changed.

Does anyone know how I might be able to find this out?

Thanks!

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
You won't be able to use your scanner while on board the aircraft. It is currently forbidden by all commercial airlines.

- Chris

kma371

QRT
I've had a scanner out on a few different airlines. Never had a problem but I do believe you aren't supposed to. You don't hear much anyway so it's not really worth the effort.

Years ago, United had channel 9 on the in flight entertainment where you could listen, but last time I flew United was 20 years ago. If you are going to PDX, probably flying Alaska and I know they don't have anything like that.

Carob

I remember channel 9 on United as well.

After checking with the TSA, they say they are fine with it. They said the Airlines have their own rules and to check with them but I'm not really worried about them. I just don't want it confiscated by TSA and never get it back.

kma371

QRT
I remember channel 9 on United as well.

After checking with the TSA, they say they are fine with it. They said the Airlines have their own rules and to check with them but I'm not really worried about them. I just don't want it confiscated by TSA and never get it back.

Oh it's definitely allowed in a carry on or check baggage, they the airlines just want you to leave it off.

Carob

Oh it's definitely allowed in a carry on or check baggage, they the airlines just want you to leave it off.

I want lower prices but I'm not gettin' that.

So it sounds like it possible to take it on board so back to the orig question... How can I go about finding the appropriate freqs?

kma371

QRT

So it sounds like it possible to take it on board so back to the orig question... How can I go about finding the appropriate freqs?

The best way is to look up prior flights for the actual route you will take. With that info, you can narrow it down some. I can probably figure out up through California for you, but it might take a bit. Honestly though, the only comms you will hear will be of the pilot. In my prior experience, that was all I was able to hear. I'm sure there is someone who could explain the physics of why that is, but I can't. I've been disappointed with trying to listen to the actual aircraft comms. If anything, the pilot reads back the frequency they are switching to, so you can do it on the fly.

On the other hand, public safety bands do come in better than the aeronautical stuff, but not as great as you would think.

I'll do what I can and post later.

Weaksignal

The links below contain the departure and arrival frequencies for the airports you mentioned. IFR High Altitude Enroute charts, H-1/H-2 and H-3/H-4 would have the enroute frequencies depicted on the chart.
Those charts would be a good reference, if you're interested in monitoring higher altitude civilian aircraft.

AirNav: KSAN - San Diego International Airport
AirNav: KPDX - Portland International Airport
IFR Enroute High Altitude Charts - Marv Golden Pilot Supplies

JoeyC

The TSA couldn't care less about your scanner. They have no opinion about whether or not you use it in-flight. The airline makes their policy regarding their use in-flight and its usually not allowed.

That said, inside the metal tube at altitude, the only comms you are likely to hear with your rubber duckie attached, is the airplane you are flying in. Since the co-pilot will often repeat the frequency the controller gives him during hand-offs, you can follow that way, as long as you are paying close attention and don't miss the quick replies. You'll quickly be lost if you miss one hand-off and then your best bet would be to follow what the charts show. The short and skinny of it all is that you won't hear much of nothing and its not even worth it. I've tried and its crap shoot whether or not you hear much - if anything at all.

AirScan

Standard Route (use Flightaware)

PEBLE6 SXC LAX J5 EHF DUCKE GALLO TMBRS2

The frequencies used in order (from my own database).

119.600 SoCal Departure
132.850 Los Angeles Center
119.950 Los Angeles Center
128.375 Los Angeles Center
132.800 Oakland Center
134.375 Oakland Center
132.950 Oakland Center (or 119.750 depending on sector configuration)
134.975 Oakland Center
134.900 Seattle Center

- note: standard sector configurations during normal business hours

That will get you to the initial descent. My database does not have info. around the Portland area yet.

Can anyone in the Portland area pick it up from 134.900 ? There will just be a Seattle Center frequency and then Portland Approach.

If you live in the San Diego area and have good reception you should be able to confirm the first few frequencies by following a PDX flight with your own scanner.

Last edited:

Carob

Standard Route (use Flightaware)

PEBLE6 SXC LAX J5 EHF DUCKE GALLO TMBRS2

The frequencies used in order (from my own database).

119.600 SoCal Departure
132.850 Los Angeles Center
119.950 Los Angeles Center
128.375 Los Angeles Center
132.800 Oakland Center
134.375 Oakland Center
132.950 Oakland Center (or 119.750 depending on sector configuration)
134.975 Oakland Center
134.900 Seattle Center

- note: standard sector configurations during normal business hours

That will get you to the initial descent. My database does not have info. around the Portland area yet.

Can anyone in the Portland area pick it up from 134.900 ? There will just be a Seattle Center frequency and then Portland Approach.

If you live in the San Diego area and have good reception you should be able to confirm the first few frequencies by following a PDX flight with your own scanner.

Thanks for the info! I'm still trying to decide if it might be worth it to take the scanner with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.