Someone "playing around" on 121.500

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

In the last few weeks, I have heard someone playing around with an aircraft band radio on the emergency frequency of 121.5000. A few minutes ago for example I heard someone say "Hey! Hey! Hey!" then silence. This is not the first time it's happened. The most surprising thing I have heard was two weeks ago when I heard "This is the captain speaking, I want you to know that I am wearing nothing except my cap." Obviously it's someone's idea of a joke but I imagine the perpetrator could get in real trouble with the FAA if caught. I live in NW Arkansas BTW.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nothing new. Actually pilots themselves have been known to horse around a little on 121.5mhz. 73, n9zas

Weaksignal

Nothing new. Actually pilots themselves have been known to horse around a little on 121.5mhz. 73, n9zas

Seriously?... Claptrap. I flew for a commercial carrier for over 30 years and never heard of such nonsense.

PACNWDude

Could be military pilots too......there was a crew ofB-52 pilots who flew naked. All were fired for it, but this type of thing does happen with commercial pilots too. Look at how many get nailed for being drunk.

Radio use goes with the industry.....and it does happen.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Seriously?... Claptrap. I flew for a commercial carrier for over 30 years and never heard of such nonsense.
. Yep, even horseplay on 243.0 mhz. on occasion. No one's perfect. :wink: 73, n9zas

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Someone playing around on 121.500

Naked, wearing only a Cap and a pilot too? Must be Glen Quagmire.

majoco

Stirrer
123.45MHz has always been the unofficial chat channel - why would anyone want to compromise 121.5?

Finto

I fly for an airline and we always monitor guard frequency (121.5) on our number 2 radio. I can attest that aside from center controllers trying to get a hold of aircraft there's a good amount of joking one liners .

RayAir

I used to fly out of a class D airport that had a lot of general aviation flight training and some of the CFI's used to cuss all the time on some of the practice area frequencies. I always thought it was pretty unprofessional.

I've never heard anyone messing around on 121.5, but I've heard a few good (and funny) arguments with ATC.

There was a controller nicknamed "suicide". When we heard his voice we always used extra caution.
He would clear you for takeoff, tell you fly runway heading and he'll call your turn, then forget about you every time.
Apparently he once cleared a plane to land while he had one plane on the runway " position and hold".

Eventually he was placed under constant supervision but I think he was let go. I haven't heard him in years.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I've heard United pilots on 121.5 talking about fishing

What else are they supposed to do when it takes the ground crew 45 minutes to get the jetwalk oriented to the plane properly?

I wouldn't be surprised if that's who the OP is hearing in NW AR. My friend commutes between there and Houston on United weekly, and it's something new each week.

Also, considering the location and time of year, are you sure you're not hearing "hay, hay, hay"?

majoco

Stirrer
Especially if you saw another aircraft, not necessarily company, going the same way. You were 'aware' of another aircraft in the vicinity as you were both on the same HF frequency so often just a quick call on 123.45 would get a response from a bored co-pilot - or in my case navigators and radio operators!

Status
Not open for further replies.