SDR Sharp Mute Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbounce

I am using SDR Sharp veraion 1357 to listen to the air band. I find that to listen to the air band I have to have the squelch at a decent level otherwise I don't pickup much. but the problem with the squelch closed to much is that it produces a lot of hiss. If I turn the squelch to a more open position I lose signals.

So the simple solution seemed to be to use the mute button to cut out the noise, but when the mute button is activated and I start scan I get an error message and SDR Sharp won't scan. The error message says "Value 15 is not valid for Value. Value should be between Minimum and Maximum" . So I tried adjusting everything with a minimum and maximum value but when I start scanning the error message is back. The only way to continue scanning is to unmute.

Moonbounce

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I set my squelch to auto, just above the hiss. I hear plenty and dont have much interest in way off transmissions. I also learned that sdr is very much like real scanners. Different models/versions act differently. I use bot sdrsharp 1361 and 1400. In my case, 1400 seems to do better on the airband. There are different versions so maybe try downloading another and copy your feqs file over to it and see if you notice any difference...

moonbounce

I have been playing around some more and what I find is a combination of thing. To my surprise a short antenna about 10 to 12 inches gives the best noise free listening. I have AGC set around 80 but I have noticed that it doesn' t seem to matter where the AGC is, I could put it up to 160 or down to 10 and the reception doesn't change. The squelch is set around 80, it can go from 74 to 84, all depends. One thing I do find that matters is the SDR-SDR Controller. I have the RTL AGC selected and the rf gain is at 38.6, any more and the noise sets in, any less and I won't pickup anything.

Moonbounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.