Handheld radio good for 10-12 miles from airport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDB415

Are there any good handheld radios to listen to the air traffic at Houston Hobby airport, HOU, from about 10-12 miles away with a good enough signal to enjoy listening without an aftermarket antenna? Thanks for any and all feedback.

kma371

QRT
I would say no. You may hear planes taking off and landing but no ground traffic including tower.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Airband HT

I can hear airport comms from 7 miles with BC125AT handheld with stock antenna, much better if plugged into base antenna on the desk. Then coverage goes far beyond 10 miles. Depends on antenna and interference signals in the area. FM traps help as discussed many times in this forum. Remember terrain has alot to do with signals getting to your scanner too. If that airport is behind a mountain then you probably won't hear it.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
It also depends on the height of the control tower (Where I assume the antennas are located). The LAX tower is 270 feet tall. It should easily be heard with a handheld 10 miles away.

I'm guessing the Houston hobby airport doesn't have an extensive runway system for the controller(s) to overlook, so the tower won't be near that tall. In that case it doesn't look that good.

I wonder if the OP has a local place that might rent or loan a scanner so he could check out the reception?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

N8IAA

Thank you for the replies. How do you listen with an iPad?

You can't with the link he posted. It is just the frequencies for the airport. The only airport that is broadcast on RR is Houston Intercontinental.
Oh, and to listen with an iPad, is to go to the live audio tab on the front page of RR and click on Live Audio. Pick TX, and then Harris county.
Larry

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.