aircraft tracking @ Local Control Towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
As I understand it, only TRACON facilities have radar capabilities. So, what means (if any) do local control towers use to monitor incoming and outgoing aircraft, beyond looking out the cab window and of course monitoring the radios? Do they have screens to monitor ADS-B feeds?

kma371

QRT
As I understand it, only TRACON facilities have radar capabilities. So, what means (if any) do local control towers use to monitor incoming and outgoing aircraft, beyond looking out the cab window and of course monitoring the radios? Do they have screens to monitor ADS-B feeds?

I believe some local towers do have radar capability, but not all. I know some major airports do have ground radar to monitor taxiing aircraft etc. Some ADS-B feeds show this activity, but I'm doubtful control towers themselves monitor amateur ADS-B feeds from public websites.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I believe some local towers do have radar capability, but not all. I know some major airports do have ground radar to monitor taxiing aircraft etc. Some ADS-B feeds show this activity, but I'm doubtful control towers themselves monitor amateur ADS-B feeds from public websites.

Hmm, interesting. I meant to say "ADS-B out" signals from individual aircraft, not amateur ADS-B feeds.

invergordon

Air Traffic Control is a complex entity and there many sources of information available to those that service all or any flight. The technology available to control towers will include at minimum 'situational awareness' tools be they flight strips, communications or visual aids.

The visual aids will include a geographic overlay of combined sources such as MLAT, ADS-B (out), SSR, primary radar and procedural reporting.

I have no doubt that control tower staff know precisely where each and every flight is within their control zone.

As an 'amateur' ADS-B/MLAT provider to commercial web sites, I can pretty much guarantee that ATC service units, including control towers, do not get their information from the likes of me! The only reason a control tower would have an internet connection to FR24.com etc. would be if an individual were to set it up for personal interest or the tower belonged to a private airfield.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber

RADAR is used in many facilities other than TRACONs. RAPCONs, RATCFs, FACSFAC, CERAPs, ARTCCs and some USAF range control facilities.
Some towers will get a "feed" from the RADAR facility that serves the towered airport. Data on that feed may include ADS-B derived positions.

A tower's primary means of control/separation is visual. RADAR is an aid when available. Some towers are authorized to conduct limited RADAR services by the overlying IFR facility.

Oh my friend, you ask a complicated question. To keep things simple, MOST - not all - U.S. ATC towers do have radar displays.

How those radar displays are used and the type(s) of service Controllers are certified to provide vary. Overall, slower VFR towers are the facilities that do NOT have radar displays.

I'll gladly answer other questions but like I said, to keep my response simple, I'll leave it at that.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Oh my friend, you ask a complicated question. To keep things simple, MOST - not all - U.S. ATC towers do have radar displays.

How those radar displays are used and the type(s) of service Controllers are certified to provide vary. Overall, slower VFR towers are the facilities that do NOT have radar displays.

I'll gladly answer other questions but like I said, to keep my response simple, I'll leave it at that.

Okay, is there any type of document(s) or FAA data file that would indicate the capabilities of a given tower?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
KGYY has a DBRITE repeated radar display in the tower. Since it uses an LCD screen for the display, it may be used in full light and is visible from every control position in the tower (of which there are only two).

Here is an excellent article on DBRITE:
Tower BRITEs - AVweb Features Article

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
KGYY has a DBRITE repeated radar display in the tower. Since it uses an LCD screen for the display, it may be used in full light and is visible from every control position in the tower (of which there are only two).

Here is an excellent article on DBRITE:
Tower BRITEs - AVweb Features Article

Wow very interesting. Maybe I should try and arrange a tour of my local airport tower(s) to see for myself what they use.

I can't think of any (public) publications that list what radar equipment facilities have. It is a safe bet that any tower with primary class B & C airspace will provide full radar services - meaning the tower will have radar displays in the cab, the Controllers are radar qualified, and radar services will be provided.

Towers with class D as primary airspace are questionable with regards to the type/extent radar services can be provided if even fitted with a radar display. Most class D towers do have a radar display but radar services will NOT be provided and Controllers are not qualified to provide such service.

The radar display is usually a feed from another location and "tower display workstations must be used only as an aid to assist controllers in visually locating aircraft or in determining their spatial relationship to known geographical points."

Hope that makes sense.

D

DaveNF2G

Towers with class D as primary airspace are questionable with regards to the type/extent radar services can be provided if even fitted with a radar display. Most class D towers do have a radar display but radar services will NOT be provided and Controllers are not qualified to provide such service.

This is why, when an aircraft is handed off to a Class D tower or uncontrolled airport, ATC will say, "Radar service terminated." They aren't radar tracking the aircraft any more, and nobody at the airport will be able to do so, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.