Not open for further replies.

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
I understand Eastern Airlines is back

What callsign are they using?

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Eastern

They come into Las Vegas sometimes. I took a picture back in Feb 2016 they were running then candidate Sanders around. Now they are running Trump's VP pick Pence around the country.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Some Tid Bits

Their 3 didgit ICAO code is EAL using the handle "Eastern" as stated in a prior post.

I am happy to see they still have the same logo on their tail and their same livery (company themed paint job). Eastern was the first to operate the Boeing 727 and the 757. Base is in Miami, Florida, KMIA airport. I don't know where all their new hubs are. I used to run my flight simulator with a virtual airline that was a text book copy of the Eastern Airlines Fleet and schedules including charters until the went out of business.

Their website does not provide their fleet of planes. I am not sure if they will or not. I wish I could see. Only thing available is their old fleet from the old Eastern Airlines.

@737mech

Oh nice bird on the tarmac. Looks like a 737 classic maybe a -300 -400 or -500 model. I wish you could have had the chance to take some snaps of the cockpit panel. I like that old heavy metal!!!

Last edited:

Rred

They've also run from SE Florida. Might be puddle jumping on Carib or Central American routes.

SCPD

QRT
Oh come on that's dated back in 2014 that's not an accurate description of their current fleet. They went back in business the latter part of 2015. Maybe a percenage s accurate, but not totally. Only thing I can guess is the 737 NG being a part of it. We won't know till the airline publishes their fleet and that's if they do.

kma371

QRT
What are you talking about. There is aircraft from 2016 listed on there?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Oh nice bird on the tarmac. Looks like a 737 classic maybe a -300 -400 or -500 model. I wish you could have had the chance to take some snaps of the cockpit panel. I like that old heavy metal!!!

Not at all. Don't let the paint job fool you. ;) They are all NGs.

The top pic is a 737-800 and the Trump/Pence is a 737-700.

nycrich

Well as of August 2016 while aircraft spotting at Miami International I have seen Eastern operate 737-800 and another older 737 derivative. They also have a B767.
They are running daily flights to Cuba, Caribbean (Trinidad & Guyana) and some other Caribbean/Central American cities.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I could swear I saw one yesterday while I was in Great Neck NY, Long Island. It was on an approach to LGA or JFK. I believe it said Eastern on the belly of the plane..

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I understand Eastern Airlines is back

What callsign are they using?

I just skimmed through a huge Wikipedia article about Eastern Airlines, along with C-SPAN and Youtube videos covering the 1989 strike and subsequent demise of the company. There's an interesting Frontline documentary on youtube. Sounds like whatever exists today is a scintilla of what it used to be.

Last edited:

Rred

As best I have been able to tell, someone bought the name/trademark and that's it. The new Eastern has nothing else in common with the old one.

Like the companies that bought "Polaroid" and some other bankrupt brands. I saw someone who might have been a co-pilot or first mate (three bars on each shoulder) asking a cold cut guy in a supermarket for "turkey you don't have to cook, is already cooked?" around Thanksgiving. OK, she's second in command on a plane and doesn't know what cold cuts are or why they're not what you want for Thanksgiving dinner....that's no crime but it didn't inspire me with confidence for the new Eastern.

And I know cold cuts are found way outside of America.

wbswetnam

As best I have been able to tell, someone bought the name/trademark and that's it. The new Eastern has nothing else in common with the old one.

Like the companies that bought "Polaroid" and some other bankrupt brands.

RCA is another brand name which has been traded around for decades now. The original Radio Corporation of America, once a major player in home electronics, went bankrupt in the mid-1980s. You can still find electronics items bearing the RCA logo, but, it's not the same company at all.

MattBNA

I don't know where all their new hubs are.

The only 'hub' is Miami - but it's not exactly a 'hub' when they only have five aircraft and they're not operating regularly scheduled service to many other destinations. They're more/less operating strictly as a charter carrier and the only real scheduled service they have is to/from Cuba as a partnership with Havana Air. They operate flights to other destinations from Miami, but nothing that is on a regular schedule.

Their website does not provide their fleet of planes. I am not sure if they will or not. I wish I could see.

Good luck finding more than a handful of small airlines that do.

Oh come on that's dated back in 2014 that's not an accurate description of their current fleet. They went back in business the latter part of 2015. Maybe a percenage s accurate, but not totally. Only thing I can guess is the 737 NG being a part of it. We won't know till the airline publishes their fleet and that's if they do.

kma371's response was spot-on. They took delivery of their first (used) 737 in 2014 and it sat around in Miami for several months prior to the start of their charter operations. They officially went back in to business in May 2015 and everything at the link he provided is accurate. Sites like Planespotters and Airfleets are updated daily and are maintained by a meticulous group of people. Whatever they are showing is accurate 99% of the time - and if it's not it will be within a few days.

All of their aircraft are 737-700 and 737-800 NG models. The first aircraft pictured shares the same dimensions of a -400, but is clearly a -800 based on the winglets and engines. The second aircraft (Trump / Pence charter) shares the same dimensions of a -300, but is a -700. Either one is too long to be a -500...and the panels up front look identical to each other and no different than any other 737 NG panel. ;)

Matt

--

MattBNA

Status
Not open for further replies.