HF Aircraft database for Ham Radio Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1KK

I would like to scan HF aircraft frequencies using Ham Radio Deluxe.
Would anyone know of an existing database for HRD?

thanks,
Ken

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just by way of explanation, I think what Ken really means is not a database for HRD per se, but for one of its programs known as Rig Control

Ken you're going to have to be a lot more specific, since I am willing to bet that it uses a different layout for its data for each radio it supports. And there is a ton of them, listed here...

Supported Radios Ham Radio Deluxe

I have a feeling that you will need to do this on your own (it's kinda a stretch to use a ham program for a non-ham purpose in this way - possible, but it's a stretch)

Just to get the ball rolling, this list of HF Aero freqs was updated just this past June, so it's pretty up to date...

The Btown Monitoring Post: Intl Aero HF Routed/Off Route Frequency List - Update 22 June 2016

GL with this..Mike

N1KK

Database

Thank you for your reply,

What I thought I was asking for was a database containting many Aircraft HF freqs that I could import
into Ham Radio Deluxe to then call up and scan. I looked at HRD and it looks like they have them
for shortwave freq stations so I thought I would ask for Aircraft HF freqs.

ken

Just by way of explanation, I think what Ken really means is not a database for HRD per se, but for one of its programs known as Rig Control

Ken you're going to have to be a lot more specific, since I am willing to bet that it uses a different layout for its data for each radio it supports. And there is a ton of them, listed here...

Supported Radios Ham Radio Deluxe

I have a feeling that you will need to do this on your own (it's kinda a stretch to use a ham program for a non-ham purpose in this way - possible, but it's a stretch)

Just to get the ball rolling, this list of HF Aero freqs was updated just this past June, so it's pretty up to date...

The Btown Monitoring Post: Intl Aero HF Routed/Off Route Frequency List - Update 22 June 2016

GL with this..Mike

majoco

Stirrer
The Btown list can be easily converted to an Excel spreadsheet which can be stored and read by many control programs. The main problem with scanning HF frequencies is that the 'scan stop' method doesn't work very well with SSB signals as there is no carrier to raise the AGC voltage and that the communications are usually quite brief unless you get onto a particularly busy sector.. At best you should be able quickly to find the active primary and secondary frequencies of a particular MWARA area and just listen to those - the easy way is to have four of five HF receivers!

N1KK

Yes I understand the scan concern with stopping on a active freq. HRD works somewhat and it will be close
enough. Just hearing the audio will be enough I can stop the scan.
Many years ago I ran a program called ScanCat. It ran in DOS and had he same scanning issue
but still, it was nice having all those freqs scanned.

I don't think I am up to the skills of all the sorting you mentioned so it looks like I will have to painfully
enter each freq one at a time then save the file for my scanning. At the moment I am scanning
between 2 freqs which works well.

Thanks,
Ken

The Btown list can be easily converted to an Excel spreadsheet which can be stored and read by many control programs. The main problem with scanning HF frequencies is that the 'scan stop' method doesn't work very well with SSB signals as there is no carrier to raise the AGC voltage and that the communications are usually quite brief unless you get onto a particularly busy sector.. At best you should be able quickly to find the active primary and secondary frequencies of a particular MWARA area and just listen to those - the easy way is to have four of five HF receivers!

majoco

Stirrer
Give me the format that HRD uses for its data files and I'll try to make a file to suit. I'll need to know the headings and file type and probably I won't be able to test it as I don't use HRD so it could be buggy for the first try! Attached is a tab delimited text file of the MWARA frequencies from last year - just see if that works.

Last edited:

N1KK

I am trying to figure this out. I found a shortwave database listing. I can go through each freq one
at a time and it tunes the radio perfectly but can't scan. There is another feature in Ham Radio Deluxe
that allows for scanning. However I can't import this database into the area for scanning.
For scanning it offers 2 areas. You can scan individual freqs with the "Fravorites" that are included and consist of Ham Radio Freqs, by choosing
them one at a time getting placed into a list to be scanned. The other choice is any freq on
the display can be added to the list. This is a little better than typing in each freq but this a pain.

Once the scanning list is created and saved you can recall it for scanning. I found where
in HRD the list is saved. I made up a short list of freqs for a test and saved it.
I am thinking this might be the format to use for scanning if the file you mentioned could be
converted into this format which looks basic.

I will email you both the shortwave database which is fine if I want to tune into each freq by clicking
it. I will also email you the the short list which does scan.

Ken

Give me the format that HRD uses for its data files and I'll try to make a file to suit. I'll need to know the headings and file type and probably I won't be able to test it as I don't use HRD so it could be buggy for the first try! Attached is a tab delimited text file of the MWARA frequencies from last year - just see if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.