Acars help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfflunki

I'm have trouble with noise in my digi sig I just bought a ssb vari notch filter to try try and trim the edges for voa and acars am I headed down the right path

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Sorry to say, I don't think so. You don't ever want to 'trim the edges' on a signal like this. Time to do some homework to see what the source of this 'noise in my digi sig' is coming from. It's too difficult to suggest a remedy without a little more information, such as the type of noise you're hearing (ACARS is noise to the ear...). Is it a hum?

Mike

hfflunki

But to answer your question the signal is low and staticky but I've found in not in a prime area for air band without an outdoor antenna but I'm in a no antenna community

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A couple of things here; make sure you are programming the freqs as AM, not FM. Many older scanners default their modes (this is especially important if you are trying to use the freqs above 136 Mhz) and they can't be changed. Also what kind of antenna are you using? Being indoors is a handicap, true, but there are many antenna designs that would improve matters. Even a ground plane, hung nice and high in a closet (better in an attic) would be an improvement over just a duckie (if you are using a handheld) or a small stick antenna that comes with many desktops. Even the Blade or the quarter wave mobile (with a mag mount and stuck on a ferrous service) would be better; both shown here...

DPD Productions - Aviation Base & Mobile Antennas: Air Band, VHF, UHF, ADS-B, 1090 MHz, ATC, FBO Base, PCL, AWOS, ACARS

Eliminate one of the sources of static by checking your connections from the antenna right down to the PC. Even one loose connection along that path is going to eventually cause you some headaches.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.