RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Aircraft Monitoring Forum

Aircraft Monitoring Forum - This is the place to discuss monitoring civilian aircraft communications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2018, 10:39 PM

Default FAA Aircraft Dispatchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post
...Pay isn't great... some may say it's pretty bad...
Thank you very much for the additional information. I did email someone who has the definitive answer and here is what she sent me:

"Hi Jim,

Our pay ranges are subject to change but this is the current rate information for both.

Our Dispatchers are currently unionized and per the Contract, the hourly pay rate is $14.76. There is also a $6,400 annual retention payment through 2018. The contract is up at the end of this year, so I’m not sure what will happen.

For Crew Scheduling, the current pay rate is $17.73 per hour. If you work the grave shift, there is also a $.75 shift differential.

There are annual increases each year on a scale and lots of opportunity for advancement!"

To be perfectly, or brutally, blunt, there is no way that I would spend over $12,000 of my own money for training to qualify to get a job that pays $14.76 per hour. While I certainly understand that rates of pay vary around the country and that the rate will go up with time, it is still a very low starting wage, in my not so humble opinion.

I guess like anything else, it is the law of supply and demand and if they can get enough people, at the starting wage they pay, they aren't going to pay more.
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2018, 10:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuete View Post
1) He isn't asking about ATC.

2) The military is nowhere near the quickest route. FAA has been hiring off the street for the past 12 years. That is WAY quicker than 4-6 years in the military before then having to go through the exact same application process as everybody else.
If anyone is looking for a career in ATC with free training without being full time military, you can train for ATC in the Air National Guard. These units are located at fixed basses and some with missions involving mobile Air Traffic Control equipment or supplementing ATC positions worldwide. Some controllers work as civilian controllers when not performing in their ANG units or on deployments.

I retired from the 245th ATCS, New London NC. 245th is a mobile ATC unit. Mobile control tower, mobile radar and mobile TACAN. There is also a fixed tower at the base which is part of the Stanly County airport. ATC is provided by civilian and military controllers. I was not an air traffic controller. My Career field was Airfield Systems Maintenance. Radio, navigation and meteorological equipment. Pretty much anything on the airfield except Radar. Radar has it's own career field.

https://www.goang.com/careers/air-traffic-control/1c1x1

Washington
Oregon
Wyoming
South Dakota
Missouri
Michigan
Wisconsin
Illinois
Nebraska
Mississippi
New York
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
North Carolina
South Carolina
Old 06-28-2018, 1:13 AM

You really don't need any "training" to become a dispatcher. Just purchase the Gleim book and take the written test. Afterwards a practical is needed. It might help to get some one-on-one time with an ATP or similar to brush-up for the practical exam. Anything with Flight Safety International in the title = $$$$$$