RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > Aircraft Monitoring Forum

Aircraft Monitoring Forum This is the place to discuss monitoring civilian aircraft communications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 10:15 AM

Default Flagship callsign

I'm in SC, near SHAW. Have heard this call several times this week." FLAGSHIP "?
Wondering if anyone is familiar.
Also, I have heard Darkstar many times over the years. I know this is an AWACS, and when heard is working with some SHAW FGs.
Is Darkstar a discrete call, or used by AWACS in general. I googled and found several references, in particular MacDill.
One more? Have been hearing "Push Victor One" I have most discretes etc. monitored over the years. Usually have a scanner searching the band while scanning. I can't catch the freq. (Victor One) any ideas? Encrypted? FM?

Jim

Last edited by James; 11-02-2006 at 10:23 AM..
Sponsored links

Old 11-02-2006, 10:47 AM

Victor one is the first preset VHF frequency in the ACs radio.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
I'm in SC, near SHAW. Have heard this call several times this week." FLAGSHIP "?
Not a callword I have heard, sorry.

Quote:
Also, I have heard Darkstar many times over the years. I know this is an AWACS, and when heard is working with some SHAW FGs.
Is Darkstar a discrete call, or used by AWACS in general. I googled and found several references, in particular MacDill.
DARKSTAR is a general E-3 mission callword

Quote:
One more? Have been hearing "Push Victor One" I have most discretes etc. monitored over the years. Usually have a scanner searching the band while scanning. I can't catch the freq. (Victor One) any ideas? Encrypted? FM?
Jim
At a guess a frequency manually programmed into their "VHF" radio or a VHF preset. In ther first case it would vary with the mission but in the second it would probably be part of their normal preset list and as such would depend on the squadron/base. Preset lists do change with time due to relocation, ATC changes etc.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini52
Victor one is the first preset VHF frequency in the ACs radio.
Thanks, It was just strange to hear after years of listening. I'm used to hearing just "Push 1" or 2, or 13.etc.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Darkstar, Bandsaw and Dragnet are all frequently heard AWACS callwords. You will usually hear something like "Bandsaw Lima or Darkstar Echo etc". These are rear end or battle staff callwords used by the controller in the operations part of the mission. Each different callword group id's aircraft from a different squadron based at Tinker AFB, OK. The first part (Darkstar) id's the squadron and the second part (Echo) id's the aircraft. You will also hear callwords like Sentry 12, Gordo 33 etc. These are the front end callwords used by the pilots when talking to air traffic control.
Sponsored links

Old 11-02-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Jim
I heard that "Flagship" callsign just last night on vhf guard 121.5000.
I'm in Jacksonville, FL

couldn't give you any details though, sorry
Old 11-02-2006, 1:32 PM

I found it, commercial flight. Flagship is NW Airlink.
I did find this cool link for callsigns though.

http://www.airlinecodes.co.uk/

Jim
Old 11-02-2006, 5:48 PM

Pinnacle Airlines dba Northwest Airlink as James said. They fly 50 seat Canadair Regional Jets and based in Memphis.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:04 PM

As mentioned above, Victor-1 is the preset frequency in position one in their VHF radio and Uniform-1 is the same for their UHF radio. In most cases, that position is reserved for the VHF/UHF squadron ops frequency. It isn't mandated but has become customary to do it that way - the same way preset position 4 is the Tower freq at their home base and other preset positions in their radios represent specific functions. Often, the pilot will not be that specific in his comms and will simply say something like, "Push 4" or "Button 4" rather than Victor/Uniform 4.

Uniden BC785D (x7) | BC796D (x2) | BC250
Icom R8500 | R2500 | R75
PRO-2042 | PRO-2045
RS Patrolman PRO-2 | Regency Digital FlightScan
Sponsored links

Old 11-03-2006, 12:09 AM

Yep. North West Airlines.

Lots of them out of KCHS.
Old 03-14-2013, 6:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

"Flagship" call sign is Pinnacle Airlines(same as Delta Express).

Last edited by dvendt; 03-14-2013 at 6:27 PM..