RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Alabama Radio Discussion Forum

Alabama Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information for the State of Alabama.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 6:58 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default St Clair County feed issues

My feed is working properly on my end, but RR's Audio 6 server has failed, and I am one of the streams that are fed through it. RR is saying that it should be resolved today (Thursday June 30th.).
Sponsored links
Old 07-01-2011, 3:00 PM

Heard radio announcement on Monday June.27, 2011 on VHF about a new digital radio system for
St. Clair County
A meeting was held on June 28 to discuss the new radio system
Any ideas on what the new radio system they are going to use will be. VHF or 800?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:44 AM

monitor 155.610 and you will hear it.
Old 07-04-2011, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkster2002 View Post
monitor 155.610 and you will hear it.
Trunkster, you're hearing the Moody PD system on 155.6025. I wouldn't be surprised if the county converts the rest of their dispatch channels to MOTOTRBO systems like the one in Moody, though.. its much less expensive than an 800 MHz system... but I'm also under the impression that Moody has had some issues with the new radios. I've heard technicians on frequency conducting tests several times in the last month.
Old 07-07-2011, 3:18 PM

I have listened to 155.6025 and it sounds like the APCO 25 digital system but I can not get a digital
scanner to decode the voice. Can it be monitored with a Pro 96 or similar digital scanner?
If not what scanner will be needed to decode the voice or add on device to decode the voice.
I have heard the same type sound on other frequencies and I can not hear them either.
The scanner is not showing them to be digital but they can't be heard on an analog type scanner
and I can't get a digital scanner to decode them either.
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2011, 12:21 PM

Code, it's not APCO25, it's a Mototrbo system.

MOTOTRBO - The RadioReference Wiki

No scanners can natively monitor it at the present, you'll need a scanner with a discriminator tap, and you have to run the discriminator audio through a Linux PC application to decode speech. Mototrbo was originally designed for business communications, but it has recently gained popularity in public service applications, because of the pending FCC mandate for all systems to be narrowband before 2013, and the cost of Mototrbo is significantly less than APCO25.

On the plus side at least, Mototrbo isn't encrypted or particularly CPU-intensive to decode, so hopefully it can be added to digital scanners with a firmware update soon. The biggest hurdle keeping it from happening--it's a proprietary format owned by Motorola, so it looks like we won't see it in scanners until the manufacturers cough up some licensing money.