RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Alabama Radio Discussion Forum

Alabama Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information for the State of Alabama.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Here is a good overview video of the system that is in the planning.

AL first responders seek statewide emergency communications syst - WSFA.com: News Weather and Sports for Montgomery, AL.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Trailer Park Supervisor
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaScan View Post
Kingpin you should be able to pull the audio tape. It was a one unit saying "I an in BayMinette, no correct that I am in Tuscaloosa." The signal was not that strong so I didnt hear everything that was said on the repeater. It was more of a testing than an actual call. I know I wont be able to hear it for long. I'm sure the talk group will soon go encrypted once the system is running 24 hours a day.
I think you got some guys playing around. We don't have any patches that would connect these departments to Tuscaloosa. The VHF / 700 patches are limited to the Baldwin system. That particular VHF frequency is patched over to 700, but only works in Baldwin.
Group Owner - South Alabama Scan
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southalabamascan/
Old 07-17-2014, 5:34 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The August 2014 digital issue of MissionCritical Communications is going to have an article titled "P25 in Alabama: Building a Statewide Network on a Budget" whenever they get around to switching out the current July issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin View Post
I think you got some guys playing around. We don't have any patches that would connect these departments to Tuscaloosa. The VHF / 700 patches are limited to the Baldwin system. That particular VHF frequency is patched over to 700, but only works in Baldwin.
Umm, all the ISSI gear is still in place that brought about GulfWIN during the oil spill so technically "they" could talk to pretty much anyone "they" care to make the effort with. Had nearly a solid week of listening to Baldwin County traffic on one of the MS GCI channels a few months ago. I'd venture to guess it's likely there's been similar tests with LWIN, AWIN and possibly even TACN at this point too.

Have yet to figure out where they are working out of, but some research vessels use one of the GCI channels on a daily basis to relay sampling information to their home base that they are collecting on various sea creatures in the Gulf. That has been going on for months now too.

Last edited by KE5TLF; 07-17-2014 at 5:56 PM..
Old 07-18-2014, 6:23 AM
Trailer Park Supervisor
Database Admin

I am "they". There is a whole lot of bad information that is spread around about this system, and I'm just not at liberty to correct 99% that gets put out there. System discovery is a fun thing from a scannists perspective. I know you guys are having the times of your lives with this. I can tell you that frequency is not patched to anything that goes outside Baldwin County. The capability is there to patch it anywhere, but that agency has no need to talk outside the county. It is just local PD dispatch for 3 departments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE5TLF View Post
The August 2014 digital issue of MissionCritical Communications is going to have an article titled "P25 in Alabama: Building a Statewide Network on a Budget" whenever they get around to switching out the current July issue.

Umm, all the ISSI gear is still in place that brought about GulfWIN during the oil spill so technically "they" could talk to pretty much anyone "they" care to make the effort with. Had nearly a solid week of listening to Baldwin County traffic on one of the MS GCI channels a few months ago. I'd venture to guess it's likely there's been similar tests with LWIN, AWIN and possibly even TACN at this point too.

Have yet to figure out where they are working out of, but some research vessels use one of the GCI channels on a daily basis to relay sampling information to their home base that they are collecting on various sea creatures in the Gulf. That has been going on for months now too.
Old 07-18-2014, 9:55 AM
Trailer Park Supervisor
Database Admin

Smile

My apologies if I sounded gruff this morning. I shouldn't talk radio until I've had my morning dose of caffiene. Our system is conncected to MSWIN, and they can connect us to LWIN, or any of the other states in their network they mange, through console patches. We have connections over to Florida as well too, so we can do console patches to them as well. Obviously, we can talk statewide if needed, but there are very few talkgroups that are setup to talk outside of their respective zones. It is an exciting time, as more of these individual systems come online, and are connected together to help everyone out. I'm really proud of the work we have accomplished, and the services we offer to our first responders, that ultimately serve our citizens.

As stated in my past message, we do see information that goes out in the groups, and in the forums that we shake our heads about, but I stay out of it as much as I can. I remember the excitement of finding the new talkgroups on Fairhope, Daphone, and Mobile's TRS's back when I got my 1st trunking scanner 13 years ago. It's like finding Easter Eggs. I got alot of enjoyment out of it, and I'm glad you guys are having a good time discovering things on our systems.
Sponsored links

Old 07-24-2014, 10:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

How much does it cost to maintain the system in Baldwin County ? It may shock you. I'm sure they will come up with the money some how.
Click on the link to find out.

Baldwin County wants help maintaining $4.5 million radio system | AL.com

Last edited by BamaScan; 07-24-2014 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Add more information.
Old 08-11-2014, 4:55 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Morgan County

Morgan County, AL has there towers up and are now loading the system with radio's. There is 4 talk groups listed on RR and I have 4 more but I am not sure what they are at this time.

If anyone out there has a list of the TG that will be on the morgan county towers please post it.
ARRL, HARC
Old 08-17-2014, 4:13 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

I picked up a new TG today. I heard someone call Medflight AirCom on 31039.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

medflight is out of huntsville
Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 PM

this is what i've heard from morgan co:

32017 morgan co metro (trinity, somerville, priceville, falkville)
32020 sounds like radio techs testing
32040 decatur fire
32046 decatur fire channel 2
32049 decatur ambulance svc
32050 hartselle fire
32089 decatur ambulance svc admin?

morgan county usually uses air evac, but medflight responds to morgan county as well. i know sometimes they can jump in on other agencies' radios, like fire departments, for landing zone/patient information.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:34 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic9351301 View Post
medflight is out of huntsville
Medic
I have confirmed that 31039 (P25) is MedFlight dispatch. They have been chatting all night. I hear them when there hitting the Orange Beach repeater. I'm not sure were to place them in the database. Due they fly as far south as Baldwin County?

I was thinking of placing it under a Medevac Talkgroup.
Old 08-20-2014, 8:46 PM
Trailer Park Supervisor
Database Admin

Yes, they have taken over for Lifeflight. They are state wide in coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise871 View Post
Medic
I have confirmed that 31039 (P25) is MedFlight dispatch. They have been chatting all night. I hear them when there hitting the Orange Beach repeater. I'm not sure were to place them in the database. Due they fly as far south as Baldwin County?

I was thinking of placing it under a Medevac Talkgroup.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:11 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Over the last few weeks 22208 has been very active in Gulf Shores. It's sounds like GSPD. They only seem to be working Beach Blvd. It's not the primary dispatch channel.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:06 AM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Here are some new talk groups I have picked up over the last week. Looks like more users are being added to the system.

25208 Public Works ?
33791 Encrypted
33991 Encrypted
34001 Encrypted
34071 Encrypted
Old 09-21-2014, 8:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Heads up any one in Mobile County. From my source a Mobile County Sheriff Deputy Mobile County is fixing to make the switch over to 700 MHz. He said he was told it will be encrypted. Hope he is wrong about it being encrypted.

Tags