I need help programming my Pro-106 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Border58

I bought this to listen to Mt. Brook PD but I cannot figure out how to program the thing. Is there anyone that would program this for a donation to their favorite charity? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Border58

rwier

I bought this to listen to Mt. Brook PD but I cannot figure out how to program the thing. Is there anyone that would program this for a donation to their favorite charity? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Border58

You will receive much free assistance here, and you probably will not appreciate "all" of it, lol.

That 106 looks a lot like my 500. What software are you using. Someone, using the same software as you, will get you up to speed in short order.

Rob

EDIT:

I've attached a file, If you have PSREdit Software or Win500 Software, unzip this attachment file, change the "extension" to the same extension your software uses. The "Scannable Objects" are in the "Uassigned ScanlList" for easy distrubution to the ScanList/s of your choice.

Attachments

• Birmingham, AL.zip
    775 bytes · Views: 106
Last edited:

Border58

Thanks all!

Puzzleriddle, I just joined this group and apparently I do not have permission to send PM yet, I get an error message that says I do not have access. I will PM you when I can. Thanks for the offer.

Border58

dgall

Hi there!

I'm in the Birmingham/Mtn. Brook area as well (also with a pro 106) and am also trying to get this thing working.

Fortunately I have a cable and win500 so this should be a snap. I download the file provided by rwier, assigned all TSYS objects to scan list 1, and uploaded it to my device. It seems to work properly but I'm not hearing any chatter at all, which seems unusual for a Friday evening.

Questions:

- Am I ok assigning everything to scan list 1?
- Do I need to adjust the squelch nob at all when scanning in this mode?

Let me know if there's anything I missed or any potential troubleshooting steps I could take to try and get this working.

Thanks!!!!

- David

puzzleriddle

post file here if ya can .. rename it xxxx.txt also ya can send to puzzle (DOT) ridddle at yahoo (DOT) com and will take a look at it. mean while make sure ya have ALL the frequencies & NOTjust the control channels oops I Isee rwier's file will look at it also.. hmm Which antenna are you using. Th RS 800mhz is highly recommended by most.

dgall

post file here if ya can .. rename it xxxx.txt also ya can send to puzzle (DOT) ridddle at yahoo (DOT) com and will take a look at it. mean while make sure ya have ALL the frequencies & NOTjust the control channels oops I Isee rwier's file will look at it also.. hmm Which antenna are you using. Th RS 800mhz is highly recommended by most.

Update:

I feel like a total idiot but it's all part of the learning and experimentation process. I was watching the scanner scan for a bit via win500's virtual scanner when I noticed a "mute" button highlighted. I did a bit of googling and found out how to switch modes (probably not the correct term).

Anyhow I pressed the attenuation button and BAM, stolen Cadillac in downtown Bham :)

I also experimented a bit with assigning certain freqs to scan groups, so now I see why you don't group them all in the same one. I have the N,E,S,W Precincts grouped in a scan group and the other misc. freqs in another.

Here's my next goal:

Reception was phenomenal at about midnight, great weather, sitting outside but I lost quite a big of signal being indoors. I'd like to buy a beefier antenna for the pro-106 and would love to hear some recommendations. Should I buy one that mounts on the unit, maybe one that mounts outside my bedroom's window? Perhaps both? I'd also like one on the roof of my car, but that's secondary to home listening.

Great forum here!

Attachments

• currentp106config.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

puzzleriddle

Great work!!.. just remember to back up your changes so if ya do mess it it you can go back & reload it :).. Experiment is the BEST way to learn!!
GOOD LUCK I have a file for the whole Area to send if ya would like to look at it :)
Hmm I have never sena mute button on my psr500 ? same radio as the 106 .. Ya mean the ATTenuate button I guess heh :)

Last edited:

dgall

Great work!!.. just remember to back up your changes so if ya do mess it it you can go back & reload it :).. Experiment is the BEST way to learn!!
GOOD LUCK I have a file for the whole Area to send if ya would like to look at it :)
Hmm I have never sena mute button on my psr500 ? same radio as the 106 .. Ya mean the ATTenuate button I guess heh :)

Thanks. I'd love to see that file, I'll email you in a few minutes.

The "MUTE" I'm referring to I saw when the radio was plugged into my computer with Win500 launched. I went to the monitor/control tab and started the virtual monitor. If you look below the start button (and next to the RF SQ box) you'll see the "MUTE" box I'm talking about. I noticed that when the radio was on and scanning that box was lit up as if mute was enabled. I don't think it had anything to do with the issue, but I googled "pro-106 muting" and ran across a page that by chance suggested pressing the ATT button.

I have no idea what that attenuation button does but it seems to cut my signal to almost nothing when it's either enabled or disabled (can't tell). I've still got a lot of reading to do but so far this thing has been a blast to tinker with. I'm going to make the drive to Radio Shack to pick up that 800MHz antenna in a few.

Thanks for the continued help.

Last edited:

puzzleriddle

Thanks. I'd love to see that file, I'll email you in a few minutes.

The "MUTE" I'm referring to I saw when the radio was plugged into my computer with Win500 launched. I went to the monitor/control tab and started the virtual monitor. If you look below the start button (and next to the RF SQ box) you'll see the "MUTE" box I'm talking about. I noticed that when the radio was on and scanning that box was lit up as if mute was enabled. I don't think it had anything to do with the issue, but I googled "pro-106 muting" and ran across a page that by chance suggested pressing the ATT button.

I have no idea what that attenuation button does but it seems to cut my signal to almost nothing when it's either enabled or disabled (can't tell). I've still got a lot of reading to do but so far this thing has been a blast to tinker with. I'm going to make the drive to Radio Shack to pick up that 800MHz antenna in a few.

Thanks for the continued help.
file sent

RomeRon

Hi there!

I'm in the Birmingham/Mtn. Brook area as well (also with a pro 106) and am also trying to get this thing working.

Fortunately I have a cable and win500 so this should be a snap. I download the file provided by rwier, assigned all TSYS objects to scan list 1, and uploaded it to my device. It seems to work properly but I'm not hearing any chatter at all, which seems unusual for a Friday evening.

Questions:

- Am I ok assigning everything to scan list 1?
- Do I need to adjust the squelch nob at all when scanning in this mode?

Let me know if there's anything I missed or any potential troubleshooting steps I could take to try and get this working.

Thanks!!!!

- David

[/QUOTE] Am I ok assigning everything to scan list 1? [/QUOTE]

Scanlist 1 is the default, if you do a Func Tune, Func Scan or Func Srch and you chose Store then it gets saved to scanlist 1. I always start out with Scanlist 2

Rwalth6257

We're you able to get your scanner programmed? If not I can probably help you. I would enjoy listening to central dispatch. I programmed my scanner for it but I do not live down there and I can no longer get it at my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.