Carnival Ship coming into Mobile tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
There should be some good listening today on Marine, Coast Guard, Aircraft, etc as they try to bring in the Triumph. It can been seen from Shore but they don't expect it to dock till 11pm CST.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/6.7.2-223_DBN_M4-23) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Noodle over to http://www.vesselfinder.com/ and zoom in on Mobile Bay. You can track the tug and the cruiseboat's progress. CNN seems to be the channel devoting the most airtime to this event.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
I am hoping for the best for those poor people but...

anyone want to add or modify a stream to cover the channels associated with the likely chaos once people start disembarking?

I suspect it will not be orderly.

Michael-SATX

Question for anybody: Why did they not tow the Carnival Triumph to Galvestion where it departed from?

I missed their explanation given for towing it all the way to Mobile, Alabama thats further away and thus
causing more delays,discomfort and incuring expenses like puting passengers up in hotels there and
having to pay out for bus fares to take their passengers back to Galveston, TX ? Am I missing something ?

Ah, cruise ships of the future, not 1 but 2 "separate and isolated" generator compartments :))
Distributed load balancing and or redundantcy ... what a smart and sanitary concept that would be !

One of these days, I need to book a cruise and hope it's all smooth and "powered" sailing ... otherwise
I might also have to share lots of humanity with 4500+ of my new found closest friends and castaways!

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
The answer is that it needs extensive repairs and those are going to be done in Mobile. The ship is being moved into dry dock right now. My son just sent me a picture as it was towed past his office. In addition to repairs to the engines, it's likely to need extensive reconditioning of the passenger spaces.

I don't know that Galveston has the capability to do that.

Question for anybody: Why did they not tow the Carnival Triumph to Galvestion where it departed from?

I missed their explanation given for towing it all the way to Mobile, Alabama thats further away and thus
causing more delays,discomfort and incuring expenses like puting passengers up in hotels there and
having to pay out for bus fares to take their passengers back to Galveston, TX ? Am I missing something ?

Ah, cruise ships of the future, not 1 but 2 "separate and isolated" generator compartments :))
Distributed load balancing and or redundantcy ... what a smart and sanitary concept that would be !

One of these days, I need to book a cruise and hope it's all smooth and "powered" sailing ... otherwise
I might also have to share lots of humanity with 4500+ of my new found closest friends and castaways!

ecps92

Or if Galveston did, it was not available immediately.

I know it's at a premium up in So.Boston and they have actually moved a ship out of dry-dock to complete minor cosmetic work, while bringing in another ship that needed immediate service.

Just think, those who get the next cruise, basically get an Almost New Ship ;)

The answer is that it needs extensive repairs and those are going to
be done in Mobile. The ship is being moved into dry dock right now. My son just sent me a picture as it was towed past his office. In addition to repairs to the engines, it's likely to need extensive reconditioning of the passenger spaces.

I don't know that Galveston has the capability to do that.

Michael-SATX

Thanks Bill and Gary, now I understand why Mobile, Alabama now.

I guess the ship still could have been towed to Galveston to offload passengers and luggage
and they been towed onwards to Mobile, AL for what has got to be some serious dry dock time !
Would this have not been way cheaper and more convienient for the Carnaval customers
to bring them back to where their cars are parked ?

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
Towing a ship that big isn't easy, and it certainly isn't cheap. I expect that they did a cost and risk analysis and decided that it was cheaper and safer to tow it to Mobile.

I know that Galveston has some dry docks, but I don't know the size of the ship or the capabilities of the docks.

The one in South Boston, as Bill points out, is big and it's in demand. They did repairs on a Norwegian cruise ship after it ran into some rough weather about six years ago. The QE II was also there after it hit some shoals off of Cape Cod. It's plenty big, but it wouldn't make a bit of sense to tow the ship that far.

The passengers can be moved by buses back to Galveston and it's probably less expensive to do it that way.

Thanks Bill and Gary, now I understand why Mobile, Alabama now.

I guess the ship still could have been towed to Galveston to offload passengers and luggage
and they been towed onwards to Mobile, AL for what has got to be some serious dry dock time !
Would this have not been way cheaper and more convienient for the Carnaval customers
to bring them back to where their cars are parked ?

Utah_Viper

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS770 Build/IMM76I) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

The reason for Mobile was more to do with the currents then repair location.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
From the news article found on the web.

Carnival Triumph Cruise: Disabled Ship On Its Way To Mobile, Alabama

"Carnival said it had initially planned to tow the Triumph into Progreso in Mexico, the closest port to its location early on Sunday when the engine room fire occurred. But the ship drifted about 90 nautical miles north, due to strong currents, before the towing got under way, and that left it stranded roughly midway between Progreso and Mobile.

"It was preferable to head north to Mobile rather than attempt to tow against the currents," Gulliksen said"

Mobile found out a 3 days after Madigras that the ship was headed there way. The ship was going 6 mph with the tugs pulling it. When one of the tugs rope broke it was going 0 mph. It took 9 hours to go up the Mobile Ship Channel. That is 9 hours were you could see land and not get on it. At one point the ship was drifting toward the east away from Mobile. If it went futher east they would have be in major trouble. Mobile had a cruise terminal that was empty plus dry docks plus the Coast Guard. Pulling it back to Texas by tugs would take weeks at 6mph plus a Ton of money. Carnival was looking for a cheaper plane flight is why the sent them to New Orleans. Mobile could of handeled it all. If not they have Baldwin County or Pensacola less than 40 min away with several empty hotel rooms. Mobile did a good job getting ready with less than a three day notice.

garys

Premium Subscriber
tugs would take weeks at 6mph plus a Ton of money. Carnival was looking for a cheaper plane flight is why the sent them to New Orleans. Mobile could of handeled it all. If not they have Baldwin County or Pensacola less than 40 min away with several empty hotel rooms. Mobile did a good job getting ready with less than a three day notice.

Mobile is not particularly cheap to fly out of, especially this week. New Orleans is probably cheaper and there are a lot more flights out of there. Which is not to say that Mobile Regional is not a nice airport, it is. It's just small.

I'm glad I booked my hotel room a few weeks ago. If I waited until the last minute, I'd be sleeping in my son's garage.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Carnival Ship coming to Mobile tonight

So, they gonna steam clean it or put in new everything? I

Yes and Yes. Mostly clean and repair. A Job I would not have. Can someone say Hazmat Nightmare. It will be cleaned like the Superdome was cleaned. They canceled the next 12 trips scheduled for the ship ( If I remember the right number ). It is scheduled to get back into service some times in the Spring. Believe it or not some of the people that got off are trying to get back on it for the first time it gets back into the water. One lady was on the local TV today. She got off the boat last night. Spent the night in Mobile and was back at the dock this morning watching the boat and crying. She had to see it one more last time. I would have hit the ground running.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Mobile is not particularly cheap to fly out of, especially this week. New Orleans is probably cheaper and there are a lot more flights out of there. Which is not to say that Mobile Regional is not a nice airport, it is. It's just small.

I agree Mobile is high to fly out off always has been. The main reason I think Cranival shiped people out of town. Cheaper on them to bus vs fly. Pensacola is cheaper. The Carnival Crew did stay in Mobile. If people stayed in Mobile they were on their own and Carnival would not pay. Two choices ride a all night bus to Texas to get your car. Or ride a bus to New Orleans stay the night then straight to Texas. The Mayor from Mobile was looking at opening up Brokley Field for the larger Jets. Brokley could of worked in a pinch. There was over 100 busses that were used to move the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.