Programming Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Para078

Premium Subscriber
I used Radio Reference to program my 346XT for a trip to Mobile. When I got here I turned the scanner on and get no activity. Are there any changes I need to make to get my scanner to work? I used Free Scan to program it. City is set to Mot Type II, and county is EDACS Normal with all the LCN's in order.

Thanks

medic9351301

Banned
mobile can not be monitored they have went to a edacs system that is not scanable

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Mobile County Sheriff?
Baldwin County Sheriff?
Alabama Highway Patrol and ALDOT?
Federal and State Conservation firefighting and law enforcement?
Aircraft?
USCG and the VHF Marine band?
Army/Navy/Air Force/Marines/National Guard?

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I don't know what kind of radio systems the above agencies use, or if the make & model of your scanner(s) can receive them, but I'd be looking at all of those options, as well as Amateur, and MURS/GMRS/FRS for activity.

KB7MIB

Oh, I forgot, university/college police/safety and railroads.

garys

Premium Subscriber

Mobile County Sheriff?

They are on the same EDACS system that Mobile City just migrated to. I don't know if they are using analog of Pro Voice. I heard them occasionally on my previous visits, but don't recall if I did the last time I was there.

Baldwin County Sheriff?

700 Mhz P25 Phase II system. That includes the sheriff, most towns that don't have their own systems, and even MedStar the largest private ambulance service in the county. There is some VHF simulcast from FDs of dispatch, but not operations.

Alabama Highway Patrol and ALDOT?

I very rarely hear anything on any of the HP channels. Don't have much interest in the DOT.

Federal and State Conservation firefighting and law enforcement?

Most federal law enforcement is P25 and much of it encrypted. Agencies like the FBI use cell phones extensively.

Aircraft?

No real interest.

USCG and the VHF Marine band?
Army/Navy/Air Force/Marines/National Guard?

As above.

I really wish that Uniden would come out with a Phase II scanner or that GRE would start production. I might have the use of a PSR 800 to test out. That would at least get me some of the Baldwin County traffic, although I think the sheriff is encrypted.

Since I'll be staying in Fairhope, listening to the PD and FD will be fine, as will hearing Daphne PD. Unless Daphne has finished moving to their new digital system.

Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are on the FDMA part of the 700 system and should be busy when I'm there in August.

Then again, I'll be more interested in visiting with my grandson and newborn granddaughter than listening to the scanner. :D

Para078

Premium Subscriber
Since I'm out by the airport I guess I'll bve listening to air and Coast Guard traffic. Anyone know what AMR, Lifeguard and Newmans use?

KB7MIB

By Federal & State Conservation fire & law I was referring to:
USFS
NPS
USFWS
NOAA Marine Fisheries
US Army Corps of Engineers (Artificial Reef Program)
Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
etc. Not the FBI, et al.

KB7MIB

I've been through the area once, on a PHL to JAX to PHX roadtrip on I-95/I-10. I had a PSR-500 with me, but it wasn't preprogrammed, just searching. I plan on preprogramming if I'm ever in the area again, but gonna be out of luck with a few agencies I see

KB7MIB

My roadtrip was in Jan '10. I also had an Icom IC-W32A dual-band HT monitoring 146.520 and 446.000 the whole way. I heard exactly one call on .52 the whole trip, while I was getting gas, and he was out of range by the time I got back on the road.

dmmbutts

I live in Fairhope and can offer the following:

1. Daphne is still on the LTR system for now. Not sure why the delay to NexEdge but enjoy while you can.

2. Mobile PD is still available on Simulcast. Reception is not that great here so I rarely listen.

3. Mobile County is still EDACS, just pick a site and program it in. N. McGregor and Bayou La Batre seem to work best here in Fairhope.

4. Medstar South has been on the FDMA portion of the Baldwin 700 system with Gulf Shores lately. It comes in great here. I rarely head any OB PD traffic but that may just be my listening habits.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I think MedStar South is the TG I want for Daphne/Fairhope.

Which simulcast are you referring to for Mobile PD? I know that there is one for the county system, but without looking at my XT files. I can't remember if there is one for the city.

The good news (for me) is that I might have a loaner PSR 800 to play with for the trip.

I live in Fairhope and can offer the following:

1. Daphne is still on the LTR system for now. Not sure why the delay to NexEdge but enjoy while you can.

2. Mobile PD is still available on Simulcast. Reception is not that great here so I rarely listen.

3. Mobile County is still EDACS, just pick a site and program it in. N. McGregor and Bayou La Batre seem to work best here in Fairhope.

4. Medstar South has been on the FDMA portion of the Baldwin 700 system with Gulf Shores lately. It comes in great here. I rarely head any OB PD traffic but that may just be my listening habits.

garys

Premium Subscriber

I have that system in my 396XT, it's what I used on my last trip down.

This trip is going to be a bit different as we'll be in Memphis, then Baldwin, then Nashville. I heard from the person who owns the PSR800 and as of now it looks like I'll get it in July.

I'm going to have a bit of a learning curve, I think, but I'll have a bit of time to play with it and the software before the trip.

I just wish that either GRE would get back on line or Uniden would release the HP-2 or whatever they are going to call it with Phase II and some other features. But, I'm not going to get into that topic! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.