RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Alabama Radio Discussion Forum

Alabama Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information for the State of Alabama.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 9:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Crenshaw county update

I enjoy daily checking RR Database updates in Alabama, Georgia and North Carolina, states where I have family and travel. In today's updates, I noticed, while looking at the update for Crenshaw County, AL, that most, if not all, of the law enforcement licenses in the County have not been revised to comply with the FCC's Narrowband regulation. Is there something about their situation that allows an exception?

Metrofire31
WQIT636
Sponsored links
Old 07-25-2014, 12:22 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have also noticed myself that the FCC is still issuing regular FM frequencies. There is an ambulance company in Alabama that is operating on a 152 MHz frequency that they are not licensed for. They are licensed for 154 but are not using it. There is a radio tower in South Alabama that is 230 feet tall and has no working light on it. Over 200 feet they must have a working light. Not to get on the soap box or move this topic to the tavern but the FCC has become slimed down and enforcement is getting less.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaScan View Post
There is a radio tower in South Alabama that is 230 feet tall and has no working light on it. Over 200 feet they must have a working light. Not to get on the soap box or move this topic to the tavern but the FCC has become slimed down and enforcement is getting less.
The Code of Federal Regulations states that:

47 CFR 17.21 - Painting and lighting, when required.

(b) The Commission may modify the above requirement for painting and/or lighting of antenna structures, when it is shown by the applicant that the absence of such marking would not impair the safety of air navigation, or that a lesser marking requirement would insure the safety thereof.

Perhaps due to the terrain, etc. they were able to get a waiver?

Also, in the RR database, the two agencies I work for both have narrowbanded licenses, but the database doesn't reflect that. The FCC license does though. It largely became a moot point anyways as the VHF stuff up here in Madison Co. is mostly backup these days and sees very little use.