More Trooper Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
I am now hearing both sides of the Alabama State Troopers on 154.920. It is acting like a repeater. It use to be where I would have to listen to the base on 154.920 and the car on 155.445. Now it is all on 154.920.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Which post?

Tuscaloosa post has been repeating traffic for about six months now on 155.505, carrier squelch with zero hangtime. Also, many of the licenses for posts in the central and southern end of the state were updated late last year to include FB2 operation on 154.920, 155.505 and 155.445.

Not sure exactly what DPS uses for their infrastructure, but I would imagine it's standard commercial repeaters programmed for half-duplex operation. If they also have duplexers in place, then it's only a matter of policy (and licensing in the northern end) preventing them from enabling full-duplex on all of their transmitters.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
The tower that I am hearing the repeater is 154.920 located in Evergreen (Conecuh County). It is now repeating as of today. It is Mobile State talking to the old Evergreen State Units on 154.920. Mobile dispatches now for Evergreen State. They are doing several radio checks and regular traffic. I can hear 155.505 repeat as well as 154.8075 in Montgomery . Have not noticed Mobile State or Dothan State on 158.790 start repeating yet.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Avery 93 for the 155.445. I took out my tone tonight and heard the Dothan State Repeater running 107.2 tone for DPS.

So the repeater output is 155.445? Do you know what the input frequency is? Can't believe they would choose this output freq, especially at that location. That should be causing severe interference on the car-to-post frequency of all of the surrounding posts.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Yep. Dothan state was using 155.445 with a 107.2 tone. It really didn't matter at the time because mobile state was using 154.9290 as a repeater and not split. Just heard it for 2 days. They are back running split now.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Repeaters back up sound clear when they work. Here is what I have so far.
Dothan State 155.445 and 107.2 tone. Evergreen State 154.920 and 107.2 tone. Mobile State 154.920 and 107.2 tone. Looks like the repeaters are here to stay.

DARRELL

Premium Subscriber
The plan is to convert all towers to repeater operation statewide over the next two months. They are starting on the south end of the state and moving north apparently.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
The Montgomery area repeater is up, with an output of 154.920, PL 162.2. I've also heard the repeater for Selma, output on 155.505, but I don't remember the PL.

codeplug

Member, Disabled Veteran, US Army
DPS Dothan State - 155.505

I think I heard Dothan State Friday morning doing radio checks on a repeater of 155.505.
There was someone calling Dothan with Radio ID # of SD 58 asked Dothan to call units and do a radio check.
Dothan called B-220 and did a radio check and the SD unit talking to B-220 and asked how the radio sounded.
It was during a band opening and I am not sure if I was hearing Dothan State DPS dispatcher or someone else.
Dothan State, Repeater Output Freq. was 155.505 with 025 DPL. Tone.
Someone may want to add the New Alabama DPS Map posted by BamaScan to the wiki on the DPS frequency page.
Current map shows the old post Id's.
http://forums.radioreference.com/alabama-radio-discussion-forum/296179-new-alabama-dps-map.html

There has been two new repeaters added up in my area.
License/Call Sign: KIB326
New DPS Repeater: Boaz in Etowah County on 154.9275
New DPS Repeater: Fort Payne in DeKalb County on 158.7900.
The repeaters are not active they but I expect they will be sooner or later.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Multiple VHF Repeaters are being used for each Dispatch. So keep your ears open. Looks like they are using 3 different repeaters for each base. I'm trying to compile a list for Mobile, Dothan, Evergreen and Montgomery.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
The plan is to convert all towers to repeater operation statewide over the next two months. They are starting on the south end of the state and moving north apparently.

Good? Bad?

I'm hoping that DPS (if that moniker survives) doesn't go encrypted at some point. I am made to think that this system will be folded into the Alabama First Responder Network at some point. (Just a feeling, haven't heard or read anything to that end.)

A quick note re: encryption; I'm all for it for sensitive comms but never for Highway Patrol dispatch. When I travel, I listen to HP, DOT, EMA for an extra margin of safety. In my opinion encryption is akin to the coming of the auto for law enforcement back in the day. They both take away a personal public/officer aspect of law enforcement. Encryption of routine communications flies in the face of community policing!

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Yep. Dothan state was using 155.445 with a 107.2 tone. It really didn't matter at the time because mobile state was using 154.9290 as a repeater and not split. Just heard it for 2 days. They are back running split now.

The input frequency of the 154.920 repeaters should still be 155.445 though. Or at least that's the way Tuscaloosa's transmitter was converted; they simply used the existing frequency pair. The separation of the 154.920/155.445 split would be a fairly tight (525 kHz), but easily workable.

With the setup you described, it just seems like Dothan state would run into severe interference issues between all of those surrounding transmitters, and vice-verse.

I think I heard Dothan State Friday morning doing radio checks on a repeater of 155.505.
There was someone calling Dothan with Radio ID # of SD 58 asked Dothan to call units and do a radio check.
Dothan called B-220 and did a radio check and the SD unit talking to B-220 and asked how the radio sounded.
It was during a band opening and I am not sure if I was hearing Dothan State DPS dispatcher or someone else.
Dothan State, Repeater Output Freq. was 155.505 with 025 DPL. Tone.
Someone may want to add the New Alabama DPS Map posted by BamaScan to the wiki on the DPS frequency page.
Current map shows the old post Id's.
http://forums.radioreference.com/alabama-radio-discussion-forum/296179-new-alabama-dps-map.html

There has been two new repeaters added up in my area.
License/Call Sign: KIB326
New DPS Repeater: Boaz in Etowah County on 154.9275
New DPS Repeater: Fort Payne in DeKalb County on 158.7900.
The repeaters are not active they but I expect they will be sooner or later.

Looks like a lot of strangeness out of Dothan state. Never seen DPS use DPL before. At least they are no longer (presumably) using the old DPS-2 pair backwards.

The new 154.9275 repeater licensed near Boaz is significant. That means some or all of the splinter frequencies long licensed by the state could now be used for more than just protecting the existing freqs from adjacent channels.

codeplug

Member, Disabled Veteran, US Army
DPS Dothan State - 155.505 Repeater.
I forgot to mention that when the SD unit was talking to the Trooper unit B-220 he asked what his location was.
Trooper unit replied that he was on US Hwy. 29 near County Road 31, near Andalusia, AL.
They must have very good coverage on that repeater.
It was odd though that the repeater was using a DPL tone. I haven't heard it again so I can't confirm the tone.
Thanks for the SD unit clarification.

It appears that Jefferson County new DPS repeaters have been delayed.
License KIB507.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
While in Montgomery today, I heard a distant DPS repeater on 154.920, PL of 192.8. I couldn't tell which post it was.

Also, I was picking up the Selma post last night on 155.505. I could hear the squelch tail of the repeater, but I wasn't picking up any PL or DPL tones.

Status
Not open for further replies.