Confirm or deny

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic9351301

Banned
I have heard a rumor that Birmingham/Jefferson county.
Will be moving to first net.
Which is basically a replacement for the southern linc
If that's the case.
Looks like I have 8 paperweights.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
FirstNet is a data communications system primarily. While there will be some push to talk capability in the future, its not currently intended as a replacement for traditional LMR radio systems.

If you were listening in on data transmissions, then yeah, you'll be out of luck.
If you were listening in on a traditional LMR radio system, you have nothing to fear for the foreseeable future.

As for rumors, there will be a LOT of agencies switching to FirstNet for their data communications needs. That's the intended plan of the system, to get public safety onto a dedicated LTE network rather than consumer cellular services.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
If they were talking on Linc before, how were you monitoring them?

medic9351301

Banned
I worked in the news media.
We were given access to the dispatch channel
With southern Linc equipment we purchased.
Had like 6 actual southern Linc mobiles and a couple hand helds

jfarr318

SouthernLinc

Talked to my former Southern Linc rep today..The legacy iDen network is to be phased out by the end of the year.

morganAL

Southern Linc is building its own LTE system similar to the FirstNet system. They will be offering voice (PTT and telephone) and data services.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
It's basically going to be an app on the "phone" system..... Bet thats gonna be a huge flop. Those apps have been available to consumer grade smart phones for quite a while now, I hope Southern Companies is much better.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's basically going to be an app on the "phone" system.....

FirstNet is setting up their own app store.

However, the PTT over LTE isn't going to be an app that's downloaded, it's going to be an integral part of the system/handset.

Bet thats gonna be a huge flop.

It's going to be for those that do not understand the limitations. Especially for those that do not understand the latency issues. It's what they call the "Don't shoot" test.
Do the following test with -any- radio system:
Have a user key up and say "Don't Shoot!"
What doe the other user hear?
-Do they hear the full "Don't Shoot!"?
-Do they just hear "..Shoot!"?
-Do they hear absolutely nothing?

Try that on a conventional radio system.
Try that on PTT cell phone type device.

Those apps have been available to consumer grade smart phones for quite a while now, I hope Southern Companies is much better.

The consumer grade apps are different than what FirstNet will be using, so that's not a good comparison.

I was at an APCO presentation last week and a rep from AT&T FirstNet group was there as was a State OES guy. Both echoed the same thing:
-FirstNet will be a valuable tool for first responders.
-FirstNet is not intended to replace traditional LMR radio systems.
-They both strongly recommended NOT relying on FirstNet as your only communications resource.
And this has been echoed all along. FirstNet is not intended to replace traditional radio systems. It will eventually (soon) have the capability to carry radio traffic, but it will require patching, interfaces, etc. and all that adds latency. No public safety agency will accept the amount of latency that will be involved for their daily operations.

The big issue FirstNet has is misinformation being propagated by those that don't know what it is and by agencies that are assuming much, but understanding little.

Any agency that thinks they are going to replace their radio system with FirstNet has zero clue what they are talking about. And this isn't surprising, as there hasn't been enough time to reach out to all the agencies. Most of what little these agencies know is coming from unreliable resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.