Montgomery area Repeaters - Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clementrw

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone. I will be stationed at Maxwell AFB in a few months, and was looking at the area ham repeaters. There seems to be a lot of System Fusion - is the digital capability used often on these repeaters? I am wondering if it will be worth buying the gear to use it, or if everything is still pretty much FM. Thanks!

Last edited:

RadShackFan

Montgomery Area Repeaters

We have several digital: 1 D-Star VHF, 1 Fusion VHF, and 1 Fusion UHF. There is an additional Fusion one but it is analog out only. There is also an APRS node here.

All of them are listed here on this website:

Local Repeaters

I'm sure you can hit all of them from the base, I have.

All of the Fusion repeaters are set up to respond in the manner they are keyed. The UHF one is normally connected to the "Alabama Room" and is mainly used in the digital mode. I listen to it daily and hear folks from the UK, Australia, and several states. The VHF one is mainly local use. It is located on the WSFA TV tower and covers a huge area in the southern part of the state.

I don't think I'd buy a digital radio just to use here, I only have one because it was on clearance sale and I needed a dual band HT at the time.

Are you coming for one of the schools or permanent party?

Last edited by a moderator:

clementrw

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the information! I will be a student, and will be there just shy of 11 months. Here in the Memphis area, we have a smattering of most of the common digital modes as well, although most stay on FM. Anyhow, I plan to join the local club for my time there...the family is staying behind so I will have lots of time on my hands. I am bringing my scanners too, hopefully there will be systems worth listening to. I haven't scrubbed the database yet;I will closer to the move.

Thanks again!
Rickey / AE6QE

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Hi Rickey,

I know a ham that has a DMR repeater located at his house in Montgomery. I'm not sure of the range or if its open to the public. I can ask him, though.

I saw that you are planning on joining our local club while you are here. My son and I are members and we would be glad to have you. We meet on the 3rd Monday of the month at the Red Cross building on Carmichael Road. Meetings start at 7pm. Send me a PM when you get to town and i'll be on the lookout for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.