Trucking Frequencies Licensed

Status
Not open for further replies.

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. Operational standard 12 calls for analog voice only, but I'm seeing emission designators for MotoTRBO on the license info- for the two other frequencies listed below the main lineup. Either way, I'll give the frequencies a listen.

blue5011

For a number of years, at least fifteen that I know of, Alaskan Truck drivers have been using "modded" VHF ham radios on a number of frequencies. I am surprised the FCC allowed a blanket frequency use by a group of users... Of course the FCC had no way to control what was already happening, so I figure they at least tried to limit its use.

When I drove the Parks Hwy I had three radios, a business band UHF, modded VHF, and the usual CB. I always figured what the FCC can't hear, shouldn't bug them.

The other thing is, why have rules that cannot be enforced? I also own property in rural Colorado that I have no way to keep trespassers off of. You might say that since I can't defend my ground I shouldn't care that some squatter sets up a tent...

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,

Anything new on or about these frequencies?

Haven't heard anything on them yet on the Interior.

blue5011

A driver friend of mine called me about a month ago wondering if he could just use a modded ham radio for this new radio service, as his company had not bought any new radios. If I remember I'll give him a call this coming weekend to see what is happening.

I never drove the Rich very much so I have no idea what the truck traffic was... However, on the Parks at night, it was a different story. And bear in mind there would be more radio chatter during inclement winter weather than the upcoming 23 hr "sunny" days...

Also remember VHF is line-of-sight, so a lot will depend on your elevation.

The radios that are supposed to be used scan ten or so channels, and will always scan a "call" channel. There should be some info somewhere as to what the call channel freq is. I don't know it right now. You will need to talk to a Lynden/ Carlile (now owned by Tote)/ Sourdough driver to see what they are using on the Parks now-a-days.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
The "Alert" channel I know is 151.49MHz. Coincidentally, today I finally heard one of the frequencies being used, I believe it was 150.935MHz.

blue5011

As I understand it was the person who owns the communication shop in Anchorage was upset because no one was buying their commercial Motorola equipment, and so maybe started to complain.

Seventy-five percent of the highway/ haulroad drivers had illegal radio's. I imagine it will take a while for everyone to switch-over... Many used the illegal equipment so they could talk on a "private" channel. It was uncontrolled by the FCC and I am certain someone there thought it was their duty to "fix" the problem.

Thing is, whether you are up on the haulroad or the Parks/ Rich, there is so much open space no one is listening! This is just the FCC's solution looking for a problem...

In Fairbanks, Lynden used to have point-to-point VHF and Carlile/ Tote had a UHF repeater up on Ester Dome. I could hit that repeater from Healy sometimes...

brucewarming

@blue5011, CB used to be licensed, people ignored it and CB band went to hell. You say as long as you don't get caught, Amateur radio is fair territory. No one said anything? VHF goes the way CB did.

blue5011

@blue5011, CB used to be licensed, people ignored it and CB band went to hell. You say as long as you don't get caught, Amateur radio is fair territory. No one said anything? VHF goes the way CB did.
Where to begin...
Have you ever been to Alaska? Have you ever driven a semi-truck in Alaska? Do you know how many roads there are in Alaska? Look at a map once...

The drivers were not using ham freqs, only modified ham radios. And since you are a ham op you know VHF is limited to point-to-point transmission/ reception. So the likely hood of interfering w/ anyone else's conversation in nil. I am still surprised that the FCC did something that "made sense". Usually the government just makes thing worse.

The other thing is Alaska is a very different area than the lower 48. When its 50 deg below zero, and your car is broke down, you'd be glad if a truck driver w/ an illegal radio stopped and offered assistance. I KNOW, I stopped many a time for stranded motorists and such on the Parks highway. Parks highway -- that would be the ONLY road between Anchorage and Fairbanks.

VHF in the lower 48 will NEVER go the way CB did. For one thing, the cell/ smartphone has taken over most all radio communication. Everyday I even see police that have a phone "glued" to their ear, plus they have the MDT equipment in the car.

Ten VHF channels for Alaska truck drivers was a move in the right direction.

blue5011

brucewarming,

I apoligise, I got caught up in a weak moment. My above comment is directed to the fact that everyone thinks Alaska is just like the rest of America. Well it isn't. There are only ten numbered/ named roads and millions of acres of open space. ANWR (Arctic National Wildlife Refuge) is 19 million acres alone, and no road near it.

Visit Alaska sometime, I spent three years there. The cold didn't run me out, it was the daily winter "snowing" that finally got to me. I thought I could take it, being from MN and have since returned to MN. Just finished reading the Fairbanks Daily News Miner online. Fairbanks just had their first freezing temp for the year, "The mark of 28 degrees at 6 a.m. at Fairbanks International Airport was three days ahead of the typical first sub-freezing temperature, which has an average arrival date of Sept. 7, according to National Weather Service records."

Status
Not open for further replies.