Alaska Emergency Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Been pondering something for a little while, figure the Alaska forums would be a good place to query about it. When I see discussions about the best ham radio mobile HF antennas, I wonder what kind of antennas do vehicles use for the 5.167 Mhz Alaska Emergency channel.

Can anyone in Alaska tell me makes and models of mobile antennas used on this frequency?
Kinda wondering how well one would load up on the ham bands.

Thanks.

JayMojave

Hello Wyandotte: I am not in Alaska, I am in the Mojave Desert.

Suggest you post this question in the Amateur Radio Antennas section as there are many who use the lower HF Bands in a mobile station. See:

Amateur Radio Antennas - The RadioReference.com Forums

I know there are loaded (coiled) whip antennas that work on the 80 Meter Band 3.5 to 4.0 Mc and 40 Meter Band 7.0 to 7.3 Mc so something should available.

Jay in the Mojave

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
In my frequent travels to Alaska and numerous contacts in the amateur radio community up there, I have never met anyone who operated on the Alaska Emergency Frequency from a mobile. Most hams up there would use 14.292Mhz - the Alaska Pacific Net. It has been in operation since the Good Friday earthquake in 1964. It is the primary net for traffic up there.

If I was going to research this, I would look at designs for 60 meters. I don't think there are commercial antennas for this band yet, but there may be some projects out there.

The alternative would be to use a CB whip with a mobile antenna tuner. SGC made such tuners. They don't have much presence in the ham market, but they are still in business.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Since I posted the above, I did some research and found that Hustler has a 60 meter coil as does Super Antennas. They would both require some tuning (longer whip?) to resonate on 5.167Mhz, but could be a good starting point and much cheaper than the tuner route.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies.

What I was thinking was that the Alaska Emergency frequency was more active that it apparently is.
And that there may be mobile antennas being made just for that frequency. And if that had been the case, I would be interested in seeing how one of those antennas would play on the ham bands with a tuner.

But that's not the case, so once again thanks for the help.

joen7xxx

My High Sierra antenna or any other screwdriver would load up there. Used to be a MARS operator and we used 5 MHz frequencies occasionally.

JayMojave

Hello All: You could also use a half wave Dipole Antenna say for the use of a much better antenna than a mobile antenna. That could easily carried in back pack to a airplane. And just strung up in tree's when needed.

The Dipole Antenna is figured 234 / 5.167 MHz = 42.28 = 42 Feet, 3 3/8 Inches
So two wires that are 42 feet, 3 3/8 inches long would connect to a Balun that coax would connect to.

See: Palomar Engineers

This could be used for getting out a hole better to pass emergency traffic and such.

Hope this helps.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.