New to This and a Bit Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuddyKim

Hey all, first of all, very cool to be a part of all this. A friend of mine gave me a scanner as they were moving and didn't see a reason to keep it. After the initial wonder wore off, I started playing around with it, trying different bands and frequencies listed on pages in this wiki, as well as a couple others found from google searches. I've looked into the specific scanner model itself (Uniden's BC355C) and a couple FAQs around here and the net, and I've just gotta say, I'm stumped.

I've spent the past two hours trying different frequencies, scanning across every band I can, and I'm just not finding any sort of actual communication going on. I figure the FAQ's commonly used frequencies as well as the default pre-programmed frequencies might not be valid for Anchorage, so I was hoping someone in the regional forums could help. So, could someone from Anchorage offer a flat "Try this frequency" to me so I know whether I need to tweak with the frequency, the scanner itself, or just find better reception than in my house?

Thank you!

-Kim

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
What are you trying to scan? Most local law enforcement is on the ALMR system and is encrypted. You need a digital trunking scanner to receive the rest of the public safety and utility channels, which I don't think the scanner you listed does. If you are looking to make sure the scanner is receiving well, try the air traffic control frequencies if you live in the 5-7 mile radius of the airport.

MuddyKim

I was interested in listening to local enforcement, partially out of pure interest and partially to keep an ear around the neighborhood. Hmmm, so it seems like a matter of outdated tech, then? That's a shame. I finally found a couple of frequencies that led to listening in on actual communication, with 145.7800, which was the Merill Fld. As well as 455.7000, which ended up being some regular radio station I popped in on. There were a couple of other strange channels that I saved in my private bank to check later, but for the most part, the scanner my friend gave me doesn't seem to pick up a whole lot, for lack of range or simple inability to match the format (ALMR/digital trunking/etc.)

Thanks you for the help, though. :)

bailly2

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
I was interested in listening to local enforcement, partially out of pure interest and partially to keep an ear around the neighborhood. Hmmm, so it seems like a matter of outdated tech, then? That's a shame.

Thanks you for the help, though. :)

Check the business channels/air traffic control at the airport in the database as well.

Otherwise, this is not only a matter of outdated tech, but encryption as well. APD/AST/Fed LE are all encrypted.

APD broadcasts their dispatch traffic online through broadcastify with a 10 minute delay. For most, this is the only way to hear them now. If your scanner does 800mhz, you can hear Airport Police, but that's about it. Other non-trunked fire frequency is 154.295 from Mat-Su Emergency Services (you can hear it in most of Anchorage really well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.