Fanon/courier

Status
Not open for further replies.

StinkyB

I had a friend give me an old scanner to look at, It's a FANON/COURIER COP-SCAN VHF 4ch crystal handheld scanner. Man this thing is old! Does anyone have any info on this scanner? there is a switch that has ON/OFF BYPASS, what is that for?

N8IAA

I had a friend give me an old scanner to look at, It's a FANON/COURIER COP-SCAN VHF 4ch crystal handheld scanner. Man this thing is old! Does anyone have any info on this scanner? there is a switch that has ON/OFF BYPASS, what is that for?
I was at a garage sale last year and the guy gave me one of those including four xtals:) It doesn't scan for me, but the squelch pot doesn't work. It's on permanent open. ON/OFF Bypass locks out the frequency you are on. Damn thing has better audio on the conventional than my base scanner! I love it. I want to get a couple of other xtals for more monitoring. My model is the Scanfare VHF.
Larry

StinkyB

This one works good. but the speaker has had it, it is very sensitive, the volume pot was dirty I cleaned it for him, I will try to find a small speaker to put in it. Ext speaker works good though.

StinkyB

Squelch

I was at a garage sale last year and the guy gave me one of those including four xtals:) It doesn't scan for me, but the squelch pot doesn't work. It's on permanent open. ON/OFF Bypass locks out the frequency you are on. Damn thing has better audio on the conventional than my base scanner! I love it. I want to get a couple of other xtals for more monitoring. My model is the Scanfare VHF.
Larry

I took apart his squelch pot and cleaned it also, it was very easy to work on.

kendowneast

Premium Subscriber
If I remember correctly:

The bypass locks out channel 1 - so you can use something like a weather freq that stays on 24/7, while letting channels 2,3 and 4 scan.

Hope this helps.

StinkyB

POT Cleaning

How did you take the radio apart. I would love to clean mine too.
Larry

It just snaps apart, no screws, there are four catches on each corner of the body halves,I just stuck my fingernail in between the two halves close to one top corner. Take the back off first, lift at the top first, the top silver piece is attached to the circuit board, and the bottom silver piece is glued to the front half only. The pots have nuts under the knobs, once you losen them they have enough wire to pull them out without unsoldering them, I had to bend the tabs on the pots to seperate them to clean them, the volume one has a snap ring that has to be removed in order to get it all the way apart. Used alcohol and some paper towel to clean them, be careful with the little contacts they bend easy, may have to use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts if they are real dirty. I have been doing this kinda thing since I was a kid, I am not afraid to take apart things and fix them, I can usually fix things that most people can't.

N8IAA

It just snaps apart, no screws, there are four catches on each corner of the body halves,I just stuck my fingernail in between the two halves close to one top corner. Take the back off first, lift at the top first, the top silver piece is attached to the circuit board, and the bottom silver piece is glued to the front half only. The pots have nuts under the knobs, once you losen them they have enough wire to pull them out without unsoldering them, I had to bend the tabs on the pots to seperate them to clean them, the volume one has a snap ring that has to be removed in order to get it all the way apart. Used alcohol and some paper towel to clean them, be careful with the little contacts they bend easy, may have to use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts if they are real dirty. I have been doing this kinda thing since I was a kid, I am not afraid to take apart things and fix them, I can usually fix things that most people can't.

Thanks for the info. I partially took it apart to check. Thanks.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.