1977 Sears 61-3639 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioBoogie

Oh, "rabid technical community"...

Someone gave me an old Sears 61-3639 programmable 5-band scanner, complete with some punch-cards for the frequencies. However, looked online for a manual, even asked Sears, no luck.

Would any of you perhaps have a manual for this beast? I'd like to at least have the "cypher chart" for the punch cards, if nothing else. It's made for Sears by SBE.

Looks like this:
RadioPics Database - Other Radio Scanners - Sears <u>61</u>3639

I'd sure appreciate it if someone can help out.

Michael-SATX

Wow

Wow, what a time machine ... I have never seen a scanner of this type ever .....
Way, way before my time .... I'll be curious how many RR folks have expirience with this model ?

RadioDaze

You've certainly come to the right place. I'll be surprised if it takes longer than 24 hours to get your answer. Although it might take that long to program the channels!

And those scanners are NOT before my time. To those of us with crystal scanners, it was a modern miracle. (But alas I couldn't afford that level of technology.)

Trekker65

Premium Subscriber
RadioBoogie,
I have the same scanner sitting on my desk right now. Found at a garage sale for $5 bucks. Unit is in working condition and clean. Very proud of this dinosaur. The code book is rather large so not easily scanned and burned but I can accomodate you with the "cypher chart" which is the last page of the code book. See formula here:
Only frequencies within 30-50 mhz, 150-170, and 450-510 may be programmed sucessfully.

Should you want to set 470-0125 to channel 6 of the Program Card for example.
1. Any digits to the right of the decimal point after the third place must be dropped. i.e. 470.0125.
2. For coding, the third digit to the right of the decimal point must be a "0" or a "5". If necessary, change it to which ever is nearest in value. i.e. 470.012 becomes 470.010 since 2 is closer to "0" than it is to "5".
3. Punch out columns 14 and 15 exactly as indicated by the frequency, i.e. 470.010 is in the band from 470 to 490 mhz so 480.000 is the middle of that band. Code book list 480.000 and it shows that on columns 14 and 16 are punched out.
4. Perform the indicated addition or subtraction on your desired frequency depending upon which band it is located within:
30-50 mhz add 120
150-170 mhz just program the closest frequencyh listed
450-470 mhz subtract 300
470-490 mhz subtract 320
490-510 mhz subtract 340
i.e. 470.010 minus320.000 equals 150.010
5. Next step converts your frequency into the band from 150-170 mhz. Punch out program card columns 1 through 13 as shown in the code Book for the new 150-170 mhz frequency. i.e. code Book shows columns 1,2,3,5,9,10,11 and 12 must be punched out for 150.010.
You are now ready to insert the Program Card and monitor your station.
These are directions in the back of the book as written.

If this seems complicated (it does to me) or you just prefer to ask for the exact code for the frequency you want to program in, just let me know and I will respond with the "punch code" for that frequency. For example, a popular frequency in the Dallas, TX area is 460.425 mhz. The punch for that row is: 2,4,5,6,9,10,11,13,16
Hope this helps the "rabid technical community"...

Trekker - N5TTK

Michael-SATX

Mr RadioBoogie certainly came to the right place, I'm impressed with same day results with help !
Also amazed at the depth and selection one can find on ebay ... like one of these unique models :)

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
There is also a Yahoo group called vintage scanners. Someone on there might be able to help out. Although I think the folks on this board are probably the best around.

Trekker65

Premium Subscriber
That is what the owners manual says. If you have an exact frequency you want to program just let me know and I will give you the exact "punch" arrangement to see if the formula works.

mrhex

Wow that thing is wayyyyyyyyy before my time, me being a Gen. X'er and all. Its good to see these cool things still around though. I can tell you that Sears constantly re-brands products and sells them as their own.

After my short stint at Sears Parts & Service I realized this. Sometimes if you plug in the first 3 digits of the model number on the back, this will tell you the original manufacturer. Some common Sears/Craftsman codes can be found here:
OWWM - Craftsman OEM List

By plugging the manufacturer code of 934 into the webpage you get Century Mfg Co., FUNAI, or HITACHI.

Hope that helps.

Trekker65

Premium Subscriber
As the instructions mention you may have to round off the fourth decimal number. For 483.1625 you will have to enter 483.150 or 483.175. For 483.150 punch out 1,2,4,5,7,9,12,13,14, and 16.
For 483.175 punch out 6,7,9,12,13,14,and 16. The scanner was not designed to receive frequencies in the .1625 step but if the station is close or has a strong signal you should be able to hear it. Hope that helps and you have success with the monitoring.

parismom

OMG! this is what i need. i just received this from a neighbor, with unpunched cards. bezking just gave me this info 154.13000 for Fire dispatch
453.37500 for Police dispatch

but i'm baffled as to how to punch out the numbers. please help! :)

parismom

here are the codes :)

That is what the owners manual says. If you have an exact frequency you want to program just let me know and I will give you the exact "punch" arrangement to see if the formula works.

154.13000 for Fire dispatch
453.37500 for Police dispatch.

thanks!

Trekker65

Premium Subscriber
Sears 5 Band

For 154.13 punch out 1,2,3,4,7,10, and 13
For 453.375 punch out 4,5,6,8,9,13, and 16

Enjoy that fine old radio!
Mark N5TTK

parismom

thanks so much! you're the best and i'm so glad i found this forum :) another question: how far down do i push the squelch dial? do i want to bring it down so that all static is removed? what's my guideline on that?
thanks, again :)

abby

Trekker65

Premium Subscriber
Sears 5 Band

You're welcome. The squelch works to keep the static out when there is no voice transmission, so set it for no static between transmissions. When the voice comes on it will override the squelch and you will just hear information with hopefully little static. When the voice transmission ends then the squelch quiets the radio again.

parismom

Hello again!

this unit is working just fine, but no matter how far down i push the squelch, there is a quick and tremendous amount of static when the transmission stops. starts up quietly, the operator speaks and then that huge crackle of static. is there something amiss, or is this typical? i choose, therefore, to keep the volume down in order to not hear this static between transmissions.

thanks in advance for your thoughts :)
abby

Jamkerd

Program Details

I have a programmable scanning monitor 3639 with unused program cards. Would like to program cards to local Fire and EMS frequencies, but no manual with unit. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.