How to program an old Regency Monitoradio Executive Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murstech

You cant program it. It uses crystals. I would suggest setting on a shelf in your radio room and staring at it in awe with great respect for scanner operators of old when a handfull of crystals, a magnifying glass and a set of tweezers were all the tools a person needed to program his scanner.

georged4997

Premium Subscriber
those were some great scanners. i started out with a regency crystal controled.
i dont know what model you have , but type in a search for scanner crystals and
a few places still have them. my first scanner was in 1969 radio shack carried
all the crystals you wanted at the time.

talkpair

If it had been from the late 40's, it would have had tubes in it...

....and would have been the size of a refrigerator and built like a bomb shelter.

got my first crystal scanner in the early 1970's...... I used a tunable receiver until that time.....

I didn't think they even existed much before then.

freightguy

Regency Monitoradio - Model TM-L2

Found one today at a Flea Market - PAID $1.00 US for it! When I got home, as I was taking it apart, I Googled the radio and found your post.

I don't know if this is the same model you asked about, but this one has a 6 position switch on the front. In those days, you had to know the freq's you wanted to listen to and order the radio with the crystals installed. Mine has 6 crystals in it, all the freq's are all lower than 46 mhz.

On the rear panel of my radio, to identify the freq and function served of each position of the switch.

Mine is of no value, and for a dollar, the only thing I'll get is the 6 crystals, which have long enough leads so that when I clip them, I'll be able to straighten them, and possibly be able to insert them into an old Radio Shack scanner that I bought back when I was a kid. Insertable crystals, but not programmable. Mine also did not come with a power cord, so if I was going to use it, I would have to rewire it, and I would, BUT the internal Nickel battery leaked all over the chassis. Salvage the crystals and junk the rest is what I'm doing.

Hope your's is of better use to you!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.