Icom/Yaesu Handheld H/T

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Guys and Ladies,
Im currently studying to take the test for the amatuer technician license. I was thinking about going ahead and getting a handheld h/t I was thinking either a Icom or Yaesu Handheld but I dont know which to look into. I was looking at the Yaesu VX6R that covers 2meter/220 and the 440 band, I know I cant transmit on the radio until I pass and receive my lincese call sign but I can listen on to other people talking on the frequency.The spending I would like to spend is $200 dollars. Thanks for your time. Jamie (Git-R-Done)

Buckskinner33

Premium Subscriber
Try this one Yeasu VX-7R. It has the tri-band coverage and also a 6M in AM mode. The other nice feature is the fact that it is submersible. The original advertisment had a operating radio in water.

Another nice feature was the band coverage. HF, VHF and UHF. Narrow FM, Wide FM and AM. The only thing it seem to miss was SSB. There is also a Spectrum Analyzer built into it. I use mine to sniff out RFI problems around the house. Another selling point is that I can program it thru my PC with the optional DATA cable.

When I bought mine a few years ago I paid around $400 bucks for it. Im sure you could pick one up for less.

Now the down side:
Like most Multiband radios, The antenna that is given to you sucks, and if you intend to use another type ( I recomend that you do ) you are going to have to find an SMC to TNC adaptor. This should eleminate the antenna problem. Try to stick with a single band antenna for what ever band you transmit on. You will have less problems with the SWR.

Another problem is the battery life. Buy an extra battery pack. The alkaline battery pack isnt worth its weight in plastic but an extra Ni Cad is.

The only other problem with it is that I wished it could trunk track. But what the hey...You cant have everything! This radios assets out weighs it faults by far. It would make a good "first radio" for a new ham. It might even inspire you to get your 5 WPM so you could work the HF portions of the band.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Im trying to stay around 200 dollar mark or at least try to, but thank you for the reply I have a guy that is helping me pick out a good handheld for me to start out with and going from there. Im seeing what I can come up with

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Yes sir, i was thinking about getting the Kenwood THG71A its only about $209.99 at the local amatuer radio store that is local that i can go to. Do you think this will be a great starter radio for me? Here's the info for the handheld h/t:

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS:
Dimensions [projections not included]: 2-5/16"(W) x 4-7/16"(H) x 1-5/16"(D) (54 x 112 x 33.5 mm) with PB-38
Frequency Range: (144MHz) TX: 144-148MHz, RX: 118-174MHz; (440MHz) TX: 430-450MHz, RX: 400-470MHz
Mode: F3E (FM)
Antenna Impedance: 50 Ohms
Current Battery Saver ON: Approx. 30 mA
Current Receive With No Signals: Approx. 70 mA
Current Transmit With EL, 6.0V (battery terminals): Approx. 300 mA
Current Transmit With HI, 13.8V (DC IN): (VHF) Approx. 1.5 A (UHF) Approx. 1.8 A
Current Transmit With HI, 6.0V (battery terminals): (VHF) Approx. 1.2 A (UHF) Approx. 1.5 A
Current Transmit With HI, 9.6V (battery terminals): (VHF) Approx. 1.2 A (UHF) Approx. 1.5 A
Current Transmit With LO, 6.0V (battery terminals): Approx. 500 mA
Ground: Negative
Microphone Impedance: 2 k Ohms
Operating Temperature Range: -20°C to +60°C(-4°F to +140°F)
Rated Voltage: External power supply(DC in) 5.5 to 16.0V(13.8V); Battery terminals 4.5 to 15.0 V(6.0V)
Weight: 11.6 oz. (330 g) with PB-38

TRANSMITTER SPECIFICATIONS:
Maximum Frequency Deviation: Less than ±5kHz
Modulation: Reactance modulation
Modulation Distortion: Less than 3% (300Hz-3kHz)
RF Output Power (approx.): HI: (13.8V DC) 6 W (VHF), 5.5 (UHF), PB-39 (9.6V) 5 W (VHF/UHF), PB-38/BT-11 (6.0V) 2.5 W (VHF), 2.2 W (UHF); LO: 0.5 W; EL: 50 mW
Spurious Radiation: Less than -60 dB

RECEIVER SPECIFICATIONS:
Audio Output Power: 9.6 V (10% distortion) More than 500 mW, 6.0 V (10% distortion) More than 300 mW
Circuitry: Double conversion super heterodyne
Intermediate Frequency: 1st IF: 38.85MHz, 2nd IF: 450kHz
Selectivity: -6 dB: More than 12kHz, -40 dB: Less than 28kHz
Sensitivity (12 dB SINAD): Less than 0.18µV
Squelch Sensitivity: Less than 0.1µV

Last edited:

MarkWestin

Hello,

I used to have one of these radios.
It would make a good but not great starter radio.
One feature which this radio has that should be clarified is that it is a single receiver two band radio. this means that you can use it on 2 meters or 440mhz, but you can't receive two things at the same time. A lot of dual band radios can receive two different things at the same time, even on the same band.
The radio has good power output and good sound.
There is a modification ( remove a very tiny chip resistor) that allows it to receive Air Band.
The few not so good points are as follows:
1. Comes with Ni-Cd Battery. Short life per charge, and short life overall.
2. "Belt Clip" attaches to the battery. It is a very flimsy and not well thought out design. My unit hit the ground several times when the clip decided to unhook itself from the battery while attached to my belt. The only answers to this problem would be to not use the belt clip, or to glue the clip to the battery, which I wouldn't do if I were you.
3. Display is crude (block letters and numbers) and Alpha Tags are shorter than I would like and must be in all uppercase.

Fortunately, for about what the stock battery costs, you can buy a Maha Ni-Mh battery. You will end up with 2 or 3 batteries (or more) if you really use any of these radios, so check to see what the extra battery prices are.
The stock antenna is SMA. It is OK but not great.
I sold mine after I bought a Yeasu VX-7, but that is more than you want to spend at the moment. You should know that when you sell any HAM handheld you will get about half what you paid (or less) choose carefully. You might want to look at Product Reviews on eHam.net. These seem generally favorable.

Hope this was helpful

Mark
KA1TIV

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I understand that fully I was looking at this ht also which is a Icom ICW32A it shows the 2 meter and the 440 band. It list for $289.99 im gonna see if I can come up with the xtra few dollars to get it or find something more nicer around the 200 mark

wesct

Git-R-Done said:
I understand that fully I was looking at this ht also which is a Icom ICW32A it shows the 2 meter and the 440 band. It list for $289.99 im gonna see if I can come up with the xtra few dollars to get it or find something more nicer around the 200 mark

w32a is a nice choice.
ft 60r is a nice choice
thf6a is a nice choice
vx6r is a nice choice
vx 170 is a nice choice

how much activity is on 220 or 440 in your area should help you decide if you need these other bands. most of it will probably be on 2 meters.

i am glad you are doing your homework. its not easy to pick a radio that looks and feels good. if you know any hams in your area, find out what they have for gear and ask to try it out on the air. thats the best test that i know of.

wesct

Al42

One thing to consider is that the Yaesus, unlike most other portables, operate on "car voltage", that is, anything between ~12-~16 volts. This means that the mobile power cord is just a lighter plug connected to a coaxial plug - no fancy electronics needed. Also, you can use a cheap unregulated power supply for AC operation.

As far as an Icom 32A, the heat sink gets a little too warm for my liking on 440. I've had plenty of thermal problems with mine. My VX-5s seem to just keep working, even when it's too hot for me to keep working.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
wesct said:
w32a is a nice choice.
ft 60r is a nice choice
thf6a is a nice choice
vx6r is a nice choice
vx 170 is a nice choice

how much activity is on 220 or 440 in your area should help you decide if you need these other bands. most of it will probably be on 2 meters.

i am glad you are doing your homework. its not easy to pick a radio that looks and feels good. if you know any hams in your area, find out what they have for gear and ask to try it out on the air. thats the best test that i know of.

wesct
Im not sure if the 220 band is a big choice around here where I live but im not sure is because I just moved back home to florida from tennessee, I know some ham operators run on the 440 band so I guess thats a good thing, I appreciate the niceniss about what you said about how im doing my homework about which radio will work for me

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Al42 said:
One thing to consider is that the Yaesus, unlike most other portables, operate on "car voltage", that is, anything between ~12-~16 volts. This means that the mobile power cord is just a lighter plug connected to a coaxial plug - no fancy electronics needed. Also, you can use a cheap unregulated power supply for AC operation.

As far as an Icom 32A, the heat sink gets a little too warm for my liking on 440. I've had plenty of thermal problems with mine. My VX-5s seem to just keep working, even when it's too hot for me to keep working.
I understand where your coming from about the heating up issue the Icom 32a h/t has on the heat sink. Im gonna see what the other amatuer radio user's that work at the local amatuer radio store to see what they say which h/t will work well for me since im new to the scene for amatuer radio

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Also what you guys think about the Yaesu VX5R? It list for $199.99 it covers 50 - 54MHz, 144 - 148MHz, 430 - 450MHz

Buckskinner33

Premium Subscriber
Git-R-Done said:
Also what you guys think about the Yaesu VX5R? It list for $199.99 it covers 50 - 54MHz, 144 - 148MHz, 430 - 450MHz

That is also a nice little radio... To me, It seem to do just as well as the VX -7. It would be my second choice in the Yaesu line up.... As you may tell the majority of us readers seem to be Yaesu fans. Yeasu band coverage sold me and I was a Major Kenwood fan!

Are you after "New Radios" or would you settle for used?
I have a Alinco DJ-580, ( Not For Sale) which you can pick up pretty cheap now a days, But some "Hackers" like it because of its MOD features. So E-Bay might not be your best bet on finding one at a reasonable price. Much like the Icom it to had a Heat Sink problem. Namely the belt clip was the heat sink so, as you could Imagine, It got hot quick. But other then that it is a good radio to have around.

Last edited:

Buckskinner33

Premium Subscriber
Git-R-Done said:
Yes sir, i was thinking about getting the Kenwood THG71A its only about $209.99 at the local amatuer radio store that is local that i can go to. Do you think this will be a great starter radio for me?

I think you may get more bang for your buck with the VX-5. Also what AI42 brings up a pretty good issue for you to look into. There nothing more frustrating then not having an alternative power source and going into radio shack and finding out what you bought wont work with your radio. With my vx-7 Im covered with just a standard 7.99 adapter.

Last edited:

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Im more into the newer radio side, more then a used radio side the reason why I bought a radio that was suppose to be new but it was old and I hard time getting my money back. I really like the Vx-5. It looks like a really nice handheld for the new user coming into the ham radio world!. Also when you said AI42 is a good issue forme to look into. What do you mean by that may I ask I never heard of that before

MarkWestin

The only problem that I can see with the VX-5 is that it may be getting hard to find. A quick check of HRO's web site shows none in stock and only a 220volt model listed. AES is showing the Silver version but not the black one. It could be that the VX-5 has been or is in the process of being discontinued, but I have no way to confirm that.

Mark

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Mark,
thanks for the reply, Im not sure if AES has the Vx-5 in stock either, I noticed that to they have the silver case and not the black case your talking about. Im gonna call them tomorrow if they have one in stock.

Buckskinner33

Premium Subscriber
Git-R-Done said:
Im more into the newer radio side, more then a used radio side the reason why I bought a radio that was suppose to be new but it was old and I hard time getting my money back. I really like the Vx-5. It looks like a really nice handheld for the new user coming into the ham radio world!. Also when you said AI42 is a good issue forme to look into. What do you mean by that may I ask I never heard of that before

That would be your alternative power source as well as the heat sink issue

wesct

MarkWestin said:
The only problem that I can see with the VX-5 is that it may be getting hard to find. A quick check of HRO's web site shows none in stock and only a 220volt model listed. AES is showing the Silver version but not the black one. It could be that the VX-5 has been or is in the process of being discontinued, but I have no way to confirm that.

Mark

it is discontinued

wesct

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I went down to the Aes early today and spoke with Ernie, he gave me alot of free stuff, like a gridmap of the United States. A frequency repeater book, Aes magazine also a mfj catalog. He told me the best 2 radios to either choose from would be the Yaesu Vx-5 or the Yaesu Ft-60r since im getting started out. They had both of them in stock to either choose from

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.