Anyone with a Sony scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikev

Just wondering if I'm the only one left in the world that has a Sony Wavehawk scanner. :) As you can see in my signature, I'm only using it for a NOAA Weather Radio stream over on Weather Underground (everything else in my area is digital now, so that's about all it's good for!), but it's still tickin', working like a champ!

bkantor

I still have mine! Years ago I did the "trick" to get Shortwave - not the best reception, but it was fun to toy with. Admittedly, I don't use it very often, but it is so unique in my collection, I will probably never get rid of it. There are still some decent conventional frequencies in my area, but the number keeps dwindling. I really miss listening to the TV stations, that was one of my favorite features, but digital TV killed that!
Glad to see someone else with one of these big silver wonders...enjoy!

Bob

pixtorial

Sony WaveHawk in 2014

Just wanted to post to this thread that I have a Sony WaveHawk (ICF-SC1PC) and it is alive and in daily use! In the Austin TX metro we have a wealth of conventional radio traffic, from railroads to school buses to area fire dispatch. This scanner is great for all of it! I even got the programming cable to work under Windows 8 (32 bit) with a RadioShack USB-Serial converter.

bkantor

I also have my WaveHawk, although it is collecting dust at this point. I was going to sell it, but can't bring myself to parting with this unique radio. I will fire it up from time to time and then put it in its little home until the next year.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I have one somewhere, sitting in the box still. I think I used it only an hour or two.

chris

KE7VJW

Premium Subscriber
I have the ICF-SC1 no PC with this one. Still gets the AIR channels ok and some of the other conventional stuff still out there.

Jim

K7MFC

WRAA720
I have one! I was just googling about the radio after pulling it out of a box, so I'll bump this thread up again.. I bought one of these around '99 or '00. I remember not being able to afford the PC-programmable version of this radio, but it was my first 800 MHz scanner and I could finally listen to the local county sheriff at the time. I also remember performing a mod that I read about on a Yahoo Groups forum which would open the frequency range up to 200 KHz - 1300 MHz. Unfortunately, it's not working too well at the moment though, the display seems to be very dim and intermittent. But yeah it's a weird radio alright, I can;t imagine there's too many of these things out left out there.

scosgt

I have a couple of them. Totally outdated but they do have good receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.