Anyone recognize this radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Anyone recognize or have any feedback on this radio? Looks like a slick little unit, and the price is right as well....

<http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Programmable-VHF-Portable-Radio-MURS-Digital_W0QQitemZ5826553027QQcategoryZ4674QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

Edit: Try this link if the above won't work.. http://makeashorterlink.com/?D6A715D1C

Last edited:

richster

WOW, all that information on the radio except for the brand name and model number. Almost looks like an ICOM knockoff.

Regards,
Richster.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yeah I don't see any brand markings on it at all. Looks like a pretty decent little radio though.

SLWilson

Motorola

The radio shown on e-bay is a Motorola EX600. In the below pictures, the Motorola EX600 on the left is MINE. The one on e-bay looks like a VHF model due to the antenna size. I copied and attached the right photo from the e-bay add. Steve/Gallia 911 ;)

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

That's what happens when you send manufacturing off-shore!

Anyone want to email the seller and ask for the FCC certification numbers from the radios?
(Bet they aren't)

SLWilson

E-Bay

searchrescueff said:
emailed ebay seller for FCC ID and brand name. Will post as soon as I get a response. here is a newer ebay auction for the radio. notice the charger base looks just like a motorola charger base.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Programmabl...QitemZ5827909788QQcategoryZ4674QQcmdZViewItem

Well, it sure "looked" like a Motorola. However, I'm leaning toward it being a copycat model from some "across the waters" country. The newer e-bay post has a VERY LARGE photo. The case & charger look like a Motorola, but, the Motorola DOESN'T appear anywhere in it. AND, unless there is more to mine that I'm aware of, I can NOT "PROGRAM" it through the keypad !!!! Steve/Gallia

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
Does Motorola do any private label work? I agree it looks an aweful lot like my 600XLS. The case is very similarif not the same and the knobs are the exact same. The "grill" for the speaker is a little different. The keypad is different and the LCD display looks a little different but it may jsut be the position of the letters on the display window.

Jon
N4ZVY

Hi,
My name is steve and im the owner of http://www.euroradiosales.com. The radio your all talking about is a Linton LT-2288, these radios are built in China.

As for the FCC ID, they dont have one nor are they CE aproved, I was told my supplier that these radios a cut down copies of the motorola GP338.

As for how well do they work; from here in Gibraltar i can access the 2m repeater in sierra nevada some 230 km away with radio right out of the box. Please dont think i came on here trying to spam, im not.

I only found this site when i was checking out the website stats and found this URL listed.

Thanks

Steve
http://www.euroradiosales.com
PO BOX 1339
Gibraltar
+44 (0)870 340 2222

well, I guess that anwsers most of our questions!!!!

I went to www.euroradiosales.com and checked it out. Even downloaded the programming software for it. BEWARE: IF YOU USE REPEATERS FOR ANY OF YOUR CHANNELS, THIS RADIO WILL NOT DO REPEATERS WELL. AND IF YOU HAVE DIGITAL TX/RX CTCSS/TONES, IT WON'T DO THOSE EITHER!!!!!!!!

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
searchrescueff said:
well, I guess that anwsers most of our questions!!!!

I went to www.euroradiosales.com and checked it out. Even downloaded the programming software for it. BEWARE: IF YOU USE REPEATERS FOR ANY OF YOUR CHANNELS, THIS RADIO WILL NOT DO REPEATERS WELL. AND IF YOU HAVE DIGITAL TX/RX CTCSS/TONES, IT WON'T DO THOSE EITHER!!!!!!!!

Jeff

So the little radio's not worth it then, eh? It says it does repeaters and PL/DPL!

Mike

N

N_Jay

Also note that if they are NOT FCC approved it is Illegal to Import or sell the equipment in the US.

They would also be illegal to use on Part 90 frequencies.

Al42

N_Jay said:
Also note that if they are NOT FCC approved it is Illegal to Import or sell the equipment in the US.
For commercial use. For ham use they can be anything as long as they meet the emission standards. There's no approval needed for ham gear.

N

N_Jay

Al42 said:
For commercial use. For ham use they can be anything as long as they meet the emission standards. There's no approval needed for ham gear.

You are correct, there is no certification for the equipment that amateur operators USE, however there are requirements for the equipment to be imported or sold.
Part-15 certification for example.

So it would still need a FCC number.

WatnNY said:
Jeff

So the little radio's not worth it then, eh? It says it does repeaters and PL/DPL!

Mike

It will do repeaters. I didn't say that they 100% would not. If you have split tones for you repeater system, say 118.8 encode and 131.8 decode, It won't do it. If you have a digital tone, say D131N or D004N, It won't do it!! If you don't believe me, you can go to the site, download the software yourself, and try it. But, you'll be sending me an apology later. Trust me, I worked with the software for an hour. It won't do split tones or digital tones.

Status
Not open for further replies.