Kenwood Radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaLa

We have a bunch of UHF Radios at work.
Mostly Kenwood, and a few old Maxxons.

frequencies in the 450-460mhz Range..

I bought a UHF Radio on e-bay.
I Programmed some of those frequencies from work in, as well as the PLs.
I have verified this with my scanner, that it does Tx on the correct frequencies as well as the correct PLs.

I can hear them but they can't hear me.
The Kenwood Mobiles used on the forklifts and as base radios are TK880-1 or similar (since I can't check all of them)
The Handhelds are TK370G's I'm not sure about this one.
conventional, simplex.

Any ideas on why nobody would be able to hear me?

Is there somekind of feature in the Kenwood Radios maybe, that would reduce intereference? And keep them from hearing me also?

not even sure if this is the right forum...

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
With some Kenwoods, you have to program BOTH T & R with PL tone. If you are transmitting OK to a scanner, but not into a PL network of similar radios, look at the programming protocols once more and make sure that your TRANSMITTERS are also programmed for PL on the same code as the receivers.

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
Are you shure they are using a simplex system, and not a repeater? Ron

SLWilson

Kenwood - PL's

RevGary said:
With some Kenwoods, you have to program BOTH T & R with PL tone. If you are transmitting OK to a scanner, but not into a PL network of similar radios, look at the programming protocols once more and make sure that your TRANSMITTERS are also programmed for PL on the same code as the receivers.

I have a Kenwood 2 meter ham radio. I can program the RX tone fine. BUT, I had to purchase a kit and ADD it to the radio in order to have the radio create the TX tone !!!! Bummer !!!!! Steve/KB8FAR :(

BaLa

yeah, signal stalker and the license both agree that there's no repeaters.

it's just a factory anyways.

and I did confirm the PL tones, still the same problem.

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
This thought just hit me. I had the same problem with a customers radio a few years ago. Is the tone deviation high enough to open the other radios? In other words, is the PL volume high enough to open the other radios. It may be high enough to see with detection equipment, but not enough to make it open the tone squelch on the other radios.

If you can see if the other radios can be placed in carrier squelch mode, and then see if they can hear you. If so then the tone modulation will need to be adjusted to open the radios ( normally about 750 Hz)

Good luck, Ron

BaLa

I am somebody who doesn't usually carry a radio, but it would be useful. To call for parts, or maintenance and what not.
There is no way they would let me jack with their radios, there are also quite a few of them.
at least 20+ Handhelds, and at the same number (or more) of bases, so even If I did manage to change the settings on a few of them, they're just too many of them..

Is there a way I can adjust the tone on my radio?
That wouldn't be too difficult?

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
You just need to work with one of the portables. There should be a button on the side of the portable that will let the radio go into monitor mode. You should then be able to see if you can talk to that portable. If you can you know that you have the right transmit frequency programed.

The tone modulation however is a software issue that needs the Kenwood software to set the modulation level. Also to do it right would take the use of a service monitor ( which only service agencies have. Again, good luck, Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.