Just how much is it to program a Motorola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so I've been wondering this for a long, long time... just how much is it to program a Motorola radio yourself?

I know you need to purchase the interface box and the software. What do those items cost on average from Motorola?

I see that the other two-way brands (Icom, Kenwood, etc.) are far cheaper not only for the radios, but the programming cables and software, too.

Granted, Motorola is the flagship line and you're paying for their product and name.

Thanks ahead of time.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I remember asking the same question, and if I remember correctly it was more than $200 from Motorola.

mancow

Database Admin
Generally around $350 for the software, if you can get it.

A factory RIB box runs around $200.

Cable, figure $150 for an original.

mancow

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
You can get a rib box for under $90 on ebay, there is someone selling some mini ribs for under $40. For the most part, these will work just as well as the motorola factory ribs.

Most cables you can build yourself for a few dollars of radio shack parts. For the HT's, an old speaker mic will work for the connector.

Software is another story, in most cases will cost more than the radio if motorola will even sell it to you.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Holy smokes! Thanks for the info guys.

So much for that idea. :evil:

Icom's offerings look pretty neat and are a LOT cheaper! :)

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Every software package that I've ever purchased was $265.00 USD.

You get updates for 3 years.

grem467

the radiostew rib is the ONLY aftermarket one i would use! I couldnt tell you how many radios have come across the bench that have been bricked by one of those el-cheapo ebay ribs. Its not worth risking your radio to save a few bucks on it.

As for cables, once you get a good rib, find a good aftermarket cable (not ribless).

If you are going to program the older radios (ie maxtrac, spectra, saber etc) then you will also want you a nice 486ish machine, running pure DOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.