Yaesu VR-120

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio10-8

Well Knoxville, I love it for the palm size and alpha tags. Overall very good reception on all bands, volume is a little low for me. Excellent case of hard abs plastic, I have dropped mine from roof of car (long story) and it rained on it for 30 mins before I found it. It worked as they claimed!!! No problems at all. I would suggest keeping an extra set of rechargeable batterys (AA size) when the low battery warning shows it's almost dead. I use different antenna that came with unit. I will say this about the radio. The PROGRAMMING can be confusing, but with some practice it can all be done from the keypad. I made a list of the freqs with what alpaha tag I wanted for it and on what channel I wanted to store it. Doing this will save you lots of time and keep you from programming a freq with wrong alpha tag etc etc.

**** Also MIKE ka3jjz I will check out the Yahoo group I did not know about it!

knoxville

radio10-8 said:
Well Knoxville, I love it for the palm size and alpha tags. Overall very good reception on all bands, volume is a little low for me. Excellent case of hard abs plastic, I have dropped mine from roof of car (long story) and it rained on it for 30 mins before I found it. It worked as they claimed!!! No problems at all. I would suggest keeping an extra set of rechargeable batterys (AA size) when the low battery warning shows it's almost dead. I use different antenna that came with unit. I will say this about the radio. The PROGRAMMING can be confusing, but with some practice it can all be done from the keypad. I made a list of the freqs with what alpaha tag I wanted for it and on what channel I wanted to store it. Doing this will save you lots of time and keep you from programming a freq with wrong alpha tag etc etc.

**** Also MIKE ka3jjz I will check out the Yahoo group I did not know about it!

Is the reception good? Also, what sortof stuff can you pick up with it?

Thanks!

Knoxville

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Insofar as the programming goes - the Wiki page for this radio shows that there are 2 free ones; tk120 from Bob Parnass and the Commander series put out by Jim KC8UNJ. I know folks that have used Jim's VX5R software, and they seem to like it. I would lean toward the VR120 Commander and see how it goes. Being free, you won't lose anything by trying it - and it might make programming somewhat less of a chore. 73s Mike

Last edited:

kc8unj

The VR-120 sftware that I have on the website isn't very advanced. It has some problems, for one I developed it under Win98 and the read/write routines aren't working for 2K/XP. But the good news is that I've been working on it off and on trying to get it up to the level of my software for the Yaesu VX HTs.

I'll try to work on it some this week if I have time, so I can release an update.

Jim
KC8UNJ

Status
Not open for further replies.