Kenwood 2-way programming questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc2wheel

Does anyone have any experience with or know where I can find info on programming Kenwood 2-way radios? I'm looking at TK-260/360 series radios & use of the KPG- series software . I'm not sure if like some Motorola software they require dedicated older computers that run only DOS, or if current computers running DOS would work. Any info or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks,
-dc2wheel

EMSJUNKY

I program Vertex 160 business radios. The old software I had for the radios was a dos version, which down right sucked. I recently purchased the Windows version of the software and it work great. As for the kenwood, I am not sure. When I purchase a radio, I take programming interface into consideration. I might suggest that you look into the Vertex (also Yaesu) radios. I utilize a VHF and UHF Vertex VX160 (2 radios). I beleive they are opperable on amatuer as well as business band. The web will have all the information on freq ranges. A bonus feature of the 160 is scan as well as 2-tone paging and DTMF tone out. The programming software for windows is very easy to use and has a decent help document enclosed with the software. For radio purchases and technical information, i have found that Action Communications in Tuscon, AZ is excellent. http://actioncommunications.com/. Hope this helps.

Thayne

The 260/360 software is DOS but you can run it in DOS mode in win 98. The 260G/360G does narrowband and uses different software, also DOS but I think there is windows software available.

Best if you run in DOS mode & not in a dOS window--

EMSJUNKY

I have had problems with various DOS radio programming software in the DOS windows mode. Either the radio wont read to the computer or the computer wont download to the radio. A radio programming friend of mine went out and got an old computer that could better meet the needs for radio programming software interfaces, and uses the computer solely for programming his various radios.

okccsi

dc2wheel said:
Does anyone have any experience with or know where I can find info on programming Kenwood 2-way radios? I'm looking at TK-260/360 series radios & use of the KPG- series software . I'm not sure if like some Motorola software they require dedicated older computers that run only DOS, or if current computers running DOS would work. Any info or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks,
-dc2wheel

If you don't mind a long distance call, there is a local radio dealer down here that does Kenwood as its main line. I get all my company radio's through him. Give him a call and I am sure one of the guys can answer your question no problem

Leon's Radio

Ask for Dennis or Lee.

Oops, I just went and looked up the number in the rolodex and realized they have an 800 number. Great news for you eh?

1-800-292-2114

Good luck.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
I've run and programmed many Kenwoods on computers as fast as a 2.8 GHz P4. I program most of mine with a p3 550 now since it's a laptop. Don't need a slow computer to run it. I keep a boot disk around around to run the older DOS stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.