New scanner ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsguy

A while back on this forum, I read about an idea of a trunking pager. I was thinking about this a came up with some ideas. Why not make a pager sized receiver capable of trunktracking 1 to 10 talkgroups, possibly digital. Instead of keypad programmable, it would be programmed with a computer via a cable similiar to a camera or mp3 player.If you have any other ideas, please share them.

LarrySC

Well, the BC-396 with FIRE tone down seems like a good idea for firemen. But MY idea is a LAPTOP scanner. Looks like a laptop, feels like a laptop, smells like a laptop, but it's not. Software for all modes of comms and wide freq range. Antenna built into back of top [behind screen] A log P type yagi would work fine. Could be pedestel mounted on goose neck from the tranny hump. You could transport it anywhere since it looks like
a laptop. Larry

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I just came upon this thread, so I'm a little late.....but I would like to see an 800Mhz only mobile trunk scanner. These scanners get overloaded whenever you pass by a cell tower. I experimented with a 13 year old Motorola 800Mhz radio and it blew my BC780 away.

GUIDEGUIDO

I cary a two-way pager, and a pocket PC.

Why don't they combine the things?

Then I could cary a DTMF-scanner as well and be the happiest guy.

safetyobc

I posted an idea a while back about having a memory stick capable of uploading info to your scanner by using the clone feature. Kind of like the Pro96 V folders except in a memory holding device. Load it with a PC at home then take to the road. When you need a new system setup, "Clone" from the memory device to the scanner. You could make this work for all of the PC programmable/cloning scanners. At least I think you could. I didn't get much feedback on it though. :(

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Ah, this is a neat topic. I am a very creative guy so I will state some ideas for the future of scanners.

A) I would like to see a scanner that has the same good quality as a Motorola radio. Is software defined and is made completely of metal. Or at least the type of plastic a Motorola or military standard case is made of.

B) This radio would be the size of the BC396d. Have a -SMA- connector for the antenna. Has wireless computer control or via infrared. There would be good shielding inside the radio to not upset the digital process from external RF sources.

B) The radio would host a USB connector for the purpose of quick upload and download of frequency, talk group and settings information, used injunction with a thumb drive when there is no computer available. Or at quick change of settings while traveling.

C) Power would be from a Lithium Ion battery. Ya it's proprietary but they are good batterys. To bad the battery manufactures don't make AAs, AAA's, Ds, Cs and 9 volts in Lithium Ion format. I also would like to see it engineered to be has power savvy as possible with all aspects took in to account. Right down to the little diodes. :lol:

D) There should also be a way that the scanner would have a chip programmed to allow the accurate recognizing and locking onto only trunked digital data. Thus reducing other sources of possible interference. I guess what I'm talking about here is a bit error correction scheme. Based on paragraph A) it would already have something like this, I think.

I would keep the idea of close call and pager tone.

Now if this radio is made in some fashion based on these ideas, it would cost a lot of money no doubt. But it's just a dream. :cry:

Theres no doubt I like the size of the BC396D, any smaller and you get into the yupy cell phone stuff. The size is good for handling and makes it look like you actually spent some money for it.
Boo!-Poltergeisty :-0

wa9ray

Premium Subscriber
Just a dream for now, maybe in 3 or 4 years. You guys have a lot of great ideas. :idea:

bsavery

How about auto attenuation. If the signal is too strong, it kicks in. If it runs x minutes with no signal, it automatically turns it off.

Just a thought I had while driving past the counties tower and having to turn it on, then sitting here later thinking it was a quiet night, then realizing I still had attenuation on.

Bob

mancow

Database Admin
How about an inverted display so it's black with illuminated text?
Something along the line of one of the Physio Control defibrulators I see the EMT's carry on calls all the time.
You can see that display in sunlight and it really stands out at night.

mancow

Al42

poltergeisty said:
A) I would like to see a scanner that has the same good quality as a Motorola radio. Is software defined and is made completely of metal. Or at least the type of plastic a Motorola or military standard case is made of.
But would you pay the extra it would cost?

B) This radio would be the size of the BC396d. Have a -SMA- connector for the antenna.
My VX-5 has an SMA antenna connector. I wish it had a BNC connector. :)

C) Power would be from a Lithium Ion battery. Ya it's proprietary but they are good batterys. To bad the battery manufactures don't make AAs, AAA's, Ds, Cs and 9 volts in Lithium Ion format.
They do - but not rechargable. Rechargable LiIon cells (single cells) are ~3 volts. Primary (non-rechargable) LiIon cells can be made at ~1.5 volts.

D) There should also be a way that the scanner would have a chip programmed to allow the accurate recognizing and locking onto only trunked digital data.
Turn off all banks not programmed for your local digital TRSs.

I would keep the idea of close call and pager tone.
I'd like to see it decode Motorola and Plectron tones too.

Of course if the radio were software defined, most of this stuff would be cheap. Only the hardware would cost, so we could have it all for ~$300-$500, in a portable or a mobile/desktop case.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
poltergeisty said:
B)Have a -SMA- connector for the antenna.

Why an SMA connector? You have a `deathwish' for your antenna connection? I've been running across all sorts of `rumblings' about broken off antennas with SMA connections recently. Just to make certain that it wasn't the start of a new `urban legend', or whatever, I sacrificed a few examples of both SMA and BNX/BNC based antennas and so far the `findings' are scary. There really isn't all that much to the SMA `connected' antennas `support-wise' *especially* with antennas for the lower frequencies! OTOH, the BNX/BNC `connected' antennas could be said to be built like `brick outhouses' compared to the SMA antennas. With a couple of the BNX/BNC `connected' antennas I actually had to *work* to get them to snap off at the connector and one actually broke the connector I was mounting them on. (Though I suspect that I'd `wounded' the connector with the previous antennas.)

Now... All the antennas I've tried so far have been `junk box' antennas, IE: they were antennas either I or the techs I'd `cadged' them from had tossed into a box off to the side because we didn't have a current use for them, and I'm not 100% certain what brand or how old they were. I wasn't about to take an antenna I'm currently using and sacrifice it even if I don't give it 100% use.

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {GRIN!}

mancow

Database Admin
I'll take an sma any day over a BNC. I've never had a problem on my VX-7R or any of the Motorolas so far.
The BNC eats the ears off the connector in no time and gets loose.

Actually, I think the TNC is the best of both. It has the heft of a BNC and the threads to keep it firmly in place.

mancow

JnglMassiv

I wish there was a scanner that had the features of the 246T but the construction and, more important, the AUDIO of a public safety radio. It doesn't have to be huge. I'm thinking the size of a GP300 or Jedi radio. I also miss the long battery life of my 4 celled BC245xlt. With CloseCall, I find myself leaving the radio on in the car to find new hits and the two batteries are quickly depleted. I'd pay another hundred or so for a little heavier case and serious audio.

As long as I'm dreaming, how about a drop-in rapid charger?

safetyobc

What I want more than anything on a scanner at this point is temporary lockout. Lockout a channel for XX minutes or at least until power off. Keep the permanent lockout but PLEASE give me a way to temporarily lock out that channel that is getting interference but I want to listen to later or one they are running endless chatter on that I don't want to hear at the moment!!! Anyone else agee? I think this would be a feature that everyone could actually enjoy and use! That's my vote for the next cool feature!

Dubbin

Feed Provider
wendall said:
dont forget duplicate freq check on all scanners.
Is that anything like duplicate posts :lol: I for one would do not like the duplicate freq check. I forget what radio I had that did this but it drove me nuts because I could only input the freq once. I wanted it in another bank for a different city.

Status
Not open for further replies.