What ever happened to Regency Scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLWilson

Me too...

I had a couple of Regency scanners in the early days too.

I can't remember, but, I thibk they were bought out by "Rhelm" or "relm" Communications.

All the volunteer FD guys here had Regency TWO-WAY mobile radios (low band) back in the late 70's, early 80's....

They were decent radios....

Steve/KB8FAR :)

hoser147

I also had a Relm cant remember the model # It scanned about 30 channels with priority. Good radio. It had a keypad on the front, but had to have a jumper in it to program both RX and TX in it and kinda like a software code to program. The mic looked like a Motorola Mic. It was in a 4wheel drive and finally it lost its smoke, and the trustee's bought a new radio...Hoser

PCPA

SLWilson said:
I had a couple of Regency scanners in the early days too.

I can't remember, but, I thibk they were bought out by "Rhelm" or "relm" Communications.

All the volunteer FD guys here had Regency TWO-WAY mobile radios (low band) back in the late 70's, early 80's....

They were decent radios....

Steve/KB8FAR :)

Still running a 25w 16 Channel Regency/Relm VHF 2-way bought new in 1988...soon to be replaced by a MA/COM T-band. I will miss the direct channel access via the keypad.

hoser147

I think I was mistaken after reading your post I remember it as a 16 channel had the sloped face on it, keypad on the Rt side of the face and it was a 25 watt radio............Hoser

W9NES

Regency was in Lawence,Indiana on the east side of Indianapolis for years and then closed up shop and moved to Sattelite Beach,Florida and changed there name to RELM(Regency Electronics Land Mobile).I have lots of Regency gear that I use here for my use and I

W9NES

Sorry.I hit the wrong button on the keypad.I have a lot of Regency equipment that I still use today for my needs.I also use the RELM Communitions line of VHF communications including a base VHF Dispatch point and VHF Mobiles that are programable including VHF handhelds for use for a volunteer Search and Rescue Team that I am in charge of here in Marion CountyIndainapolis,Indiana area...

PCPA

hoser147 said:
I think I was mistaken after reading your post I remember it as a 16 channel had the sloped face on it, keypad on the Rt side of the face and it was a 25 watt radio............Hoser

That's it exactly! A little slider switch for the keypad backlight and another slider for PL on/off (labelled "mon" for monitor"). Also has switchable priority. The only negative (no pun intended) is trying to find a ground for the mic clip as grounding activates/deactivates the scan.

hoser147

Thats right. I ran a individual ground from the bracket to the dash as commercial comm put it on the side where it was hard to reach. I still have a good working Regency crystal scanner. Been setting it up for my aunt who had one many moons ago and just cant get along with the newer scanners...........Hoser

hoser147

Were They a division of Motorola at one time? The one I got has the famous M on it.........dont know.........Thanks for all the replies guys, I just thought they made one heck of a scanner in the day.............Hoser

trace1

Historical note:

W9NES said:
Regency was in Lawence,Indiana on the east side of Indianapolis for years and then closed up shop and moved to Sattelite Beach,Florida and changed there name to RELM(Regency Electronics Land Mobile).

Or maybe this...

Relm, previously named Regency Electronics, once made two-way radios, scanners and electric utility load management equipment. Regency sold its scanner line and its name to-guess who?-Uniden America. The "Re" in "Relm" echoes "Regency"; "lm" stands for the since-divested "load management" products.

k7aab

Premium Subscriber
Regency

Regency sold their scanner product line to Uniden, which in turn phased them out after running them with cheaper casings with Regency markings on Uniden's current radio line at the time as the buyout warranted they would continue development on the Regency line, obviously that was not Uniden's intention, The 2 way radio line went to relm/wilson

typesix

Relm (re)entered the scanner market in the late 1990s with 3 models, HS-200, HS-100 and MS-200. The HSs were handheld double conversion scanners, the main differences between the two were 800mhz coverage, tone decode and # of channels. The MS-200 was basically a mobile/base version of the HS-200, with alphanumeric display and computer entry of frequencies possible.
The reviews of the HS-200 from what I remember stated that it was a good unit except for receiving cell phone images in the 800 mhz band. The MS-200 was prone to intermod, even when using tone decode. Both had good sensitivity.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The reviews of the HS-200 from what I remember stated that it was a good unit except for receiving cell phone images in the 800 mhz band.

There's a more than a few RR members that would STILL pay extra for that!

lanbergld

One of the last Regency scanners, the MX (something? forgive me for not knowing the exact model number) became the AOR AR-2002, which was one of AOR's first VHF/UHF communications receivers. So, I was under the impression that Regency somehow got integrated into AOR -- at least in the beginning.

I never owned a Regency but I sure did love the AOR AR-2002 for its sensitivity and sound quality.

Larry Lanberg

Richmond VA

lanbergld

Revision to my last post: The Regency MX-7000 scanner became the AOR AR-2001. However, AOR removed the 800 MHz portion from this model because of poor image rejection in that band. Shortly after, AOR reinserted the 800-1300 MHz portion and this became the AOR AR-2002.

Larry Lanberg

Richmond VA

Tonyde1117

Regency

They were located at 7707 Records St, Indianapolis, Indiana. The M was for Monitoradio not Motorola.

Many good tunable, single x-tal then scanners were made. Over the years they were always in competition with Electra maker of Bear Cat scanner. Electra was located in Cumberland, Indiana.

In the 70's Regency was very active in the Citizen Band Radio craze. They were also in the commercial radio market and Radio-telephone. Two-way radios were in Indy pace cars in the late 70's.

Over the years they bought Wilson and IFR.

Many radios can still be found running 35 years later in testament to the quality of products.

RELM = Regency Electronics Land Mobile. Land mobile radios were made in Satellite Beach, Florida.

Regency sold out to Uniden. RELM is still alive in West Melbourne, Florida and now has the Bendix-King radio line.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.