RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Antennas

Amateur Radio Antennas For discussion of all amateur band designed antennas and related accoutrements. This includes base, handheld, mobile and repeater usage. For commercial antennas on the amateur bands please use Commercial Radio Antennas below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 2:06 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Weak Magnet on Antenna

I bought one of these as a stop-gap until I get a mobile unit for my car.

SMA Female Antenna For NAGOYA UT-106 KG-UVD1P KG-689 Dual Band Magnetic Mount | eBay

The magnet is incredibly weak. Can anyone recommend a semi-permanent solution for attaching it? I was thinking of using some type of adhesive.

Doug
K1DUG
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2011, 5:46 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Forget using that ............thing. Go to HRO. [Ham Radio Outlet] on the net look at the mobile mag mounts there and get a GOOD dualband. [I myself prefer a Larson Mag mount and dual band, You will have to buy them separtate, and they DO cost a bit more, BUT it will be the best one for .
Old 10-18-2011, 8:05 AM

I have to agree, that antenna isn't worth the effort unless you are very desperate. But, since you have it, there may be a solution for that weak magnet, it won't be very inexpensive though. One solution would be to find a larger, 'flat', magnet and sit that mag-mount on top of the large one, then the large one on the vehicle. That's not a good solution, but it would make the thing 'work', sort of. You can count on having to re-tune that antenna, and that may not be easy at all.
sometimes, those good deals are all that good. Wish I hadn't found that out the hard way...
- 'Doc
Old 10-18-2011, 8:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I use a Larsen round nmo magmount with a Larsen 150 coil and a 5/8 wave whip antenna.It works great and Larsen products are very good.