RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Antennas

Amateur Radio Antennas For discussion of all amateur band designed antennas and related accoutrements. This includes base, handheld, mobile and repeater usage. For commercial antennas on the amateur bands please use Commercial Radio Antennas below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 4:32 PM

Default Repeater antenna suggestions

hello all,

I know this is a amateur radio antenna forum. However i am putting up a repeater on GMRS. (once i get my ham license i will likely switch it to a 70cm repeater) I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on antennas. I have a VXR-7000 repeater with a motorola 4 cavity duplexer. I am using Andrew LDF4-50A heliax hardline.

I have been looking at a DB411, Due to its 9db gain.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated!

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2012, 5:44 PM

Coverage Prediction You will have to quick register but this is a great way to get an idea of potential coverage. You can change the wattage, height and antenna gain. You may find that you need less gain. Good luck, wish you were closer I could use another repeater in the neighborhood. Bill WQOV721
Old 05-22-2012, 12:24 AM

The DB411 is a good choice. Telewave makes some similar folded dipole types. I will make a specific recommendation that you not consider Telewave fiberglass collinear antennas, however.

Depending on the site conditions, 9db might be excessive. Unless you get an expensive antenna with null fill, they have a lot of holes in the vertical pattern above and below the main lobe.
Old 05-22-2012, 3:53 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'll second the folded dipole. Used one on a 2 meter repeater for many years with out problems. Be careful about the db rating, is that dbd or dbi? Also the gain will vary depending on the orientation of each dipole. I believe that gain rating is is 9 dbd if all four dipoles are pointing the same direction but this will not provide a omni-direction pattern.

Bytes are cheap so drop those acronyms.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:03 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

If looking at folded dipole array antennas, Also look at Bluewave and Sinclair Radio Labs. I have a db something and it looks cheap and light duty. Bluewave and Sinclair make models that have all the phasing and cableing enclosed inside the elements and mast the dipoles are mounted on
Old 09-24-2012, 9:59 PM

One metal folded diapole at about 3 DB gain will work fantastic, they are metal and will take the weather that is usually at mountian tops. They work and hold up.
If you have the height, you don't need a whole lot of gain, you need your signal to go down as well as out in as good of an equil pattern as you can get it to go.
High gain will go over a good part of the bottom of the mountain and usually have some nasty lobes.

John
Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

A single folded diploe is 0dbd or unity, you need 2 for 3dbd gain.

Last edited by kayn1n32008; 09-24-2012 at 10:24 PM..