RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Antennas

Amateur Radio Antennas For discussion of all amateur band designed antennas and related accoutrements. This includes base, handheld, mobile and repeater usage. For commercial antennas on the amateur bands please use Commercial Radio Antennas below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 1:15 PM

Default How to spot a fake Diamond Antenna

I have collected quite a few antennas over the years. My girlfriend will tell you I have OCD when it comes to antennas. I am always on the lookout for antennas everywhere I go. Thrift stores, garage sales, swap meets, back alley's, ebay, etc. I am sure there are some are worse than me, but not many. Over the years I have collected quite a few Diamond Antennas and with that comes some fakes. This is not the end all be all for fake Diamond Antennas as my collection mainly consists of HT antennas. The makers of these replica Diamond Antennas are getting better all the time and have made many improvements over the years.

I often wonder how many fake Diamond Antennas are out there? How many reviews of fake Diamond antennas are on eham? I know there are quite a few. I spotted my first fake in my collection more than 10 years ago.

Fake SRH771. I should have known this one was a fake right away as it had RH771 printed on both the antenna and the packaging. Diamond uses the RH prefix for BNC connectors and SRH for SMA. The packaging had a "SMA Connector" sticker on it made from paper. To date, I have not seen a paper sticker used in advertising on a genuine Diamond Antenna. The printing on the antenna itself is going in the wrong direction. Later fakes have the printing going in the correct direction. Some fakes I have seen have letters that do not form words or speeling mistakes;-)

Here is a close up of the packaging. The Font is close but wrong. This looks similar to the font found on a few Nagoya Antenna's I have owned? The E has a triangle, and not a diamond that is found on the genuine Diamond products. The yellow plastic on the packaging is glossy, thin and lacks texture.

Fake SRH940. This is one of the latest replica I have come across and its a good one. Non-glossy paper AM sticker.

The Diamond font is still wrong but better. Triangle in the E. Thin glossy, non-textured yellow packaging.

This antenna looks perfect except for a high SWR on operating bands.

Note the replica antenna has the diamond in the E. If the packaging was thrown away, the only way you would be able to tell it was a fake is if you had an antenna analyzer. I wonder how many of these antennas Diamond has replaced thinking they were defective?

Close up of the logo on the SRH940 packaging.

Close up of a genuine RH770 Diamond Antenna packaging. Note the textured yellow plastic and the diamond in the E

Logo from genuine Diamond SRH519 packaging. Textured yellow plastic. Diamond in the E.

Its a start. I have many more photo of fake and genuine diamond antennas I will add when I have more time. Please add any additional info and photos you may have on genuine or fakes!

Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 07-01-2012, 6:57 PM

How about the Jetstream, & MFJ antennas that are dead ringers of Diamond, & Comet? Are they over runs, or copies? I have a Diamond SG7200 which they don't make anymore, yet MFJ sells the exact antenna for about $35. I wonder what the origin of that antenna is? GARY N4KVE
Old 07-01-2012, 7:37 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question

Out of ALL of the fake or impostor antennas you found, are they ALL defective with high SWR or are they usable maybe on *other bands* ??
Just wondering if they are a complete waste?

n9zas
Old 07-01-2012, 8:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

where did you get the fakes? let me guess...brokenstolencounterfeitradios.com aka Ebay.

Guess the only way to prevent this is to buy from Authorized Diamond/RF Parts dealers, like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Diamond isn't the only one with low quality knockoffs. Motorola duckies are the most faked on Ebay. The problem is not only are the fakes cheap, but many of them are inferior inside, with poorly soldered connections. A connection that will open up easily from normal use, resulting in a high SWR and poor performance.

Pretty scary considering people use them on duty radios in public service.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:11 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
where did you get the fakes? let me guess...brokenstolencounterfeitradios.com aka Ebay.

Guess the only way to prevent this is to buy from Authorized Diamond/RF Parts dealers, like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Diamond isn't the only one with low quality knockoffs. Motorola duckies are the most faked on Ebay. The problem is not only are the fakes cheap, but many of them are inferior inside, with poorly soldered connections. A connection that will open up easily from normal use, resulting in a high SWR and poor performance.

Pretty scary considering people use them on duty radios in public service.
That is why when I need a new antenna for any of my commercial radios I go to the local shop I used to work at, I rather pay the few extra bucks and keep the money here in America then buy something from possumcock china and wait almost a month for it to come in.
Sponsored links

Old 07-01-2012, 11:23 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC2OBW View Post
That is why when I need a new antenna for any of my commercial radios I go to the local shop I used to work at, I rather pay the few extra bucks and keep the money here in America then buy something from possumcock china and wait almost a month for it to come in.
Ditto! Same practice here.

n9zas
Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

va7wes, that's a great avatar. I've got half a mind to use Ricky's.

(Other people around here will also tell you that I have half a mind.)
Old 07-02-2012, 12:22 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I wonder if this is a problem with the base station antenna's also. I purchased my only Diamond antenna from Universal Radio so I hope its the real thing.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot007 View Post
I wonder if this is a problem with the base station antenna's also. I purchased my only Diamond antenna from Universal Radio so I hope its the real thing.
There was a problem several years ago when I bought my X50A where some of the base antennas shipped to the U.S. were not tuned for the U.S.

n9zas
Old 07-02-2012, 1:22 PM

If you think you may have a fake but threw away the packaging you can weigh the antenna. All my genuine Diamond antennas weigh more or exactly what is specified on Diamond's website. All the fakes weigh less than the specified weight.

FAKE RH205 Specified weight:90g

FAKE SRH771 Specified weight:38g

Diamond RH770 Specified weight:85g

Diamond SRH779 Specified weight:38g

Diamond SRH519 Specified weight:9g

Diamond SRH815S Specified weight:10g
Old 07-03-2012, 6:45 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Where did you get the RH770 antenna? I've been wanting one of these but it seems like I see it in the Japanese catalog but not the American catalog? Love to get a couple if I knew where.
Old 07-03-2012, 9:28 AM

I looked for an RH770 for at many years. I went looking for one on my last trip to Tokyo with no luck. I contacted Diamond USA but they quoted me $80 plus shipping. I ended up getting it from these guys in Osaka. www.world-impex.jp/diamond-ant/

Very nice honest people. Quick to ship. You will love the RH770 for 2m/70cm operation.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 PM

Angry Nagoya NA-771 Antenna

I Ordered 4 Nagoya NA-771 Antennas On E-bay, When I Got Them In The Mail,The Antennas Were Diamond
RH-771. The Rubber Ducky That Came With My Radio Is Way Better Than The Pieces Of **** They Sent Me. I Can't Even Get A Signal With Them. This Can Cause Serious Damage To The Output Transistors In My Radio.To Think That Their Getting Away With This. How Many People Are This Company Ripping Off Over The Internet?The Rating Was About 3 db. Gain. Bull ****.
Old 02-26-2013, 8:39 PM

this is also same with the cp22e antenna in the phils. theres a taiwan made and japan made.also with the f23 here.theyre almost identical you could hardly identify which one is fake.